December 18, 2017, 05:24:36 PM

Author Topic: Laid the old school smack down on 'em!!!!  (Read 1501 times)

Offline BigStrutter

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Happiness is a 50 cal.
Laid the old school smack down on 'em!!!!
« on: January 01, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »
Decided last week to go old school after them eastern NC deer and it worked!!! :knuppel2 Got the first one on the evening of 12-29 hunting an oak bottom between a cutover and a wheat field. He came in at 5pm and gave me a broadside 50 yard shot. I shanked it a little but luckily he stood there and I dropped him with the second. The deer was aged at 1.5 years old so it's either the biggest/oldest button head or the tiniest spike ever.  Gun of choice.............. a 29 year old open sighted Marlin .44 magnum!!!!

Since I got one with the .44 I decided to give dads 40+ year old Winchester 94 30-30 a try on 12-31. I took my little boy along and right at 5pm this guy came into the food plot and stood broadside at 60 yards. Shot went to the right spot this time and dropped him in his tracks. Best part was when he went white belly up, Cole stood up said he's dead and then looked up and said "thank you God".  This boy is gonna be tough on critters when he gets big enough. :twisted:

As a side note: the second hunt was almost ruined when we heard a squirrel barking and Cole looked at me and said: Daddy, I know what that squirrel is saying. I said what is he saying son? Cole says: He is telling everyone to get off his nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D I just about fell out of the stand. Gotta love kids.

Ned

Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Laid the old school smack down on 'em!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
Congrats on the deer Ned!  O0   How many does that make for the year?  :?
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »
Killed 6 this year, just could never find any with any size to them. Deer sightings and numbers are WAY down in our area of Vance and Warren Co. NC. Even the farmers have seen less deer and had alot less crop damage this year. My thoughts on the lower deer numbers is that area has been hit by hemorrhagic disease 3 times in the last 10 years...it takes 5 years for a population to recover fully from just one outbreak.  So add in the disease impact and a 3 1/2 month long either sex season and the deer there have had it tough. I walked a 50 acre wheat field Friday and only saw 3 different sets of tracks. The local guys blame it on being so close to the lake, there will always be stagnant water around a lake with all the swampy back end of coves and such. The larvae of the midge that causes the disease lives in the stagnant water. If you go just 10 miles away from the lake deer are freaking everywhere. Just have to see how the next few years go...I might have to shift my hunting area a little.

Ned

FOREVER G540

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:27:18 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean about low deer numbers.  The KDFWR had Marion County (where our farm is) as a Zone 1 county for several years.  There's unlimited doe harvest in Zone 1 counties.  Some areas need it, some (like Marion) don't.  I watched the population decline each year, the whole time begging and pleading to the KDFWR to back it down some.  About 4 years ago I think, we had a really bad outbreak of EHD all around the state.  The next year, Marion County was a Zone 2.  The following year we were a Zone 3 and have stayed there since.  There's only 4 different Zone numbers in the state.

Last year, I saw 1 deer, a small buck that I got with the pistol.  My brother hunted 14 days straight and saw 3 deer the last day, shooting the biggest doe.

I saw a few deer this year, but nothing special.  I figured I'd take my buck and doe and that would be it.  I didn't want to take too many does down there though, but figured 1 wouldn't hurt.  After I shot the button during gun season I was going to stop but then I thought, "Hey, I haven't gotten my doe yet!"  ;)   The late muzzleloading season cured that.  O0

I was figuring my brother would come in to hunt and would probably get at least a doe, but he had some back problems this year that kept him from coming down, so it looks like there will be fewer taken down there than what I was figuring on.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
 O0 O0 O0 Nice going, especially since the deer population is down. Funny thing, the deer population is down here in Iowa, too.

I think our problem here in Iowa is due to too many varmints preying on fawns.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 12:37:03 PM »
Dunno John, maybe in your areathe varmints are getting them, in NC perhaps they need to shorten the season and number of tags. You've got to have a big family to eat six deer.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »
BBF, the low numbers are in certain areas. I can drive 5-10 miles to other places and they are covered up with deer. Just across the lake a friend hunted 2 days with friends and they killed 7 and saw 20 different deer. This is flatland farm country, soy bean fields for miles and nasty cut overs the rest of the ground. The deer population over all is still crazy high, but maybe knocking a month off the doe season would help some. Farmers getting unlimited damage stamps to shoot them 24/7. 365 doesn't help either.....but they got to protect their livelihood.

Ned

FOREVER G540

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:42:38 AM »
nice deer!  cool thing for a kid to see too!
Only dead fish swim with the current!

BBF

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »
I understand the need of population control even for some specie of humans :wink:
I just hope those deer that get shot by the farmers aren't wasted.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:09:38 PM by BBF »

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »
That's the bad part BBF, they are wasted. The farmers shoot them in the guts with small calibers so they will run out of the field and die and not die in the field where they would have to remove them. Had one farmer bragging during the summer of 2010, he killed over 100 and never laid his hands on any of them. Makes me sick for sure, but what can I do.

Ned

FOREVER G540

Facebook Comments