November 20, 2017, 06:38:18 AM

Author Topic: Tennessee woman shouldn't be punished for doing right thing with gun  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Tennessee woman shouldn't be punished for doing right thing with gun

Free Meredith Graves! Just about everyone in the country now knows about the Louisville, Tenn., woman who was arrested when she tried to check her gun at the 9/11 Memorial in New York City. The nurse and medical student had driven to New York with her husband to interview for a residency at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital in Long Island. While in the Big Apple, they decided to do a little sightseeing. Graves has a Tennessee handgun carry permit and had a loaded .32 caliber Kel-Tec in her purse. When she saw the no guns symbol at the memorial, she asked a guard where to check her weapon and abruptly found herself under arrest and facing a 3-year minimum sentence for violating New York's strict gun laws.

Read About It: The News Sentinel (Knoxville, Tenn.)
Posted: 1/3/2012 9:54:22 AM

Note: Many news sites archive stories after a short period of time. If the link above is expired please contact the site for information about accessing this story.

Copyright 2011, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030 800-392-8683
Contact Us | Privacy & Security Policy
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: Tennessee woman shouldn't be punished for doing right thing with gun
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »
Cant we just ban New york and Califonia. anyone who leaves the state goes direxctly to jail. Do not pass go or collect 200 dollars.      :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »
Cant we just ban New york and Califonia. anyone who leaves the state goes direxctly to jail. Do not pass go or collect 200 dollars.      :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff
I think the lawmakers of those states should be shipped to Mexico for a life sentence in prison.  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »
I feel sorry for the woman first of.
Now you got to ask yourself a question or two. Driving to NY she had to cross several State lines.Would her permit be valid in all of them?

Did she live under a rock not being aware that the State and particularly the city of NY has very strict firearms rules??

When I headed south recently I checked with the appropriate Dept to see what paperwork I needed to bring in two rifles and yes there was paperwork and yes  the Homeland Security types checked it out before letting us in.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:36:12 PM by BBF »

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »
Did she live under a rock not being aware that the State and particularly the city of NY has very strict firearms rules??

That's the thing right there!  Tennessee requires completion of a course before you can apply for a concealed carry permit.  Even the most incompetent instructor is still going to mention that you need to check different areas before carrying there.  :x

It's unfortunate that there isn't Nation-Wide carry reciprocity and that the woman is going to have to pay a penalty for exercising a Constitutional Right, but she did it to herself.  She can try to blame New York, the cops, and everyone else, but it still comes down to the fact that SHE failed to do what she should have.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 07:19:15 AM »
  O0 O0 O0 Excellent point there, BC! While doing my PI work, I have always been careful not to carry my piece into a state that did not honor my permit. It was uncomfortable, but I didn't want to go to jail/get fined, and probably lose my PI license.

Yes, a lot of responsibilities come with a CCW permit.

My day job covers me while on duty in ALL states.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:32:03 AM »
My day job covers me while on duty in ALL states.

It's good that the states look out for the petting zoo security guards.  ::)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »

It's good that the states look out for the petting zoo security guards.  ::)
  :knuppel2 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Once in a while we get sent on distant details and out of town federal court duty, and we are always in uniform and gear.

BBF

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
I can't help but think of that concealed tomahawk of yours. :twisted:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
I can't help but think of that concealed tomahawk of yours. :twisted:
  ;D :twisted: Yes, great fun for close quarters! Ya should have seen the look on Custer's face!

Facebook Comments