October 18, 2017, 01:52:26 AM

Author Topic: Locked Buck In January  (Read 858 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Locked Buck In January
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »
I found this on another site this morning.  One of our state Private Lands Wildlife Biologists with the KDFWR posted some pics and a short video of a couple of buck locked together.  He made the post on 1/21, saying that it was Wednesday when he got the call about the bucks, so that would put it on 1/18/2012.  The guy's name is Joe Lacefield and the bucks were in Woodford County, KY (not too far from Lexington).

Seems that the rut wasn't quite over for these two.  LOL!  Some guys on the other site asked him several questions about it.  Below are some of the more interesting questions and answers.

I got a call on Wednesday about two bucks locked together in a hayfield. When I got there, to my amazement they were both alive. I cut an antler off to free them. After about 10 minutes they regained their footing and ran off. The were very clumsy and sluggish to start with. One ran about 300 yards t a woodlot, the other went about 150 yards. the landowner searched the farm the next day and couldn't find them, a good sign!

Good deal, glad you got them unlock.How long do you think they where lock together?

They weren't there the day before, so that night or early am. I'm guessing 8-12 hours..

Thats pretty neat. Just goes to show that the rut isn't always over. I saw a buck dogging a doe this morning. Guess there is still a few does that aren't bred. Joe, What is the last time into the year that a doe can successfully be bred??

Someone killed a doe this year in September that had a nearly full term fawn. That would be a February bred doe. It's really unusual, but deer will breed from September to possibly March. The really early or late does are probably the result of messed up hormone levels or severely skewed sex ratios.

In south FL deer breed all year long. Most fawns that aren't born during the peak fawning periods don't survive.

Great video, thanks for sharing. Funny how that one buck kept his head crooked like he didn't realize they were apart and kept his antlers dug in the ground.

Have you ever sat funny and had your arm or leg go to "sleep"? I attribute this and severe muscle strain to the recovery time and lack of quick response. Talk about having a "kink" in your neck!!!

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Locked Buck In January
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:05:36 PM »
I've had women fight over me like that. The things I have to endure. :'( :'( :'(
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »
thats cool thanks for sharing...  a lady at work watched it with me, she kept saing "Aww poor thing can't get up!" 
Only dead fish swim with the current!

Offline dougdad

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:20:14 PM »
It's great that they were found soon enough to survive.  O0
Bullets, Bumpers or Broadheads, Whatever works!!
USAF RETIRED,  Marion MI.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »
 O0 Lucky bucks, someone cut them apart. We have had several fighting pairs we have cut apart at work. We have cut a few bucks loose from fences, too.
I've had women fight over me like that. The things I have to endure. :'( :'( :'(
  ;D ;D ;D ;D Yeah, it's funny, some gals just don't want to share!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments