November 23, 2017, 08:04:16 AM

Author Topic: Ice Fishing anyone?  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

Ice Fishing anyone?
« on: January 29, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »
Last year was my first year for ice fishing and I had a blast. This year mother nature isn't cooperating with the weather. What little ice we've had has only been 2" at best and slushy too.
However, I'm not complaining, as in another week or two there will be some good open water fishing available.

How's the ice fishing in your area?

Bowhunter57
There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those that have hunted them long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
- E. Hemmingway

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: Ice Fishing anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:32:15 AM »
Hey Bowhunter, Where you from??? 

Here in Utah, i've been walking the hard water every weekend for since the middle of December.  The fish are now getting into that mid winder lul where the oxygen is low and they aren't as hungry.  i was just out saturday, got a couple perch... 

Only dead fish swim with the current!

Offline Bowhunter57

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 05:16:56 PM »
Duneman101,
I'm in N.W. Ohio and there's not been any good ice this year. It's been unseasonably warm with no prospects for ice any time soon...except in my tea. :)

Last year was my first year of ice fishing and I love it. I was on 4" of ice by Dec. 22nd and the last good ice was on Feb. 20th. Unless we get hit with some sort of late season cold snap, I don't see any ice fishing in the future for me. There's only been skim ice or a 1/2" of slushy ice.

This week's forecast is showing temps in the lower 50s and upper 40s. I may be on some open water, late this week, with my kayak. 8) Can't wait to wet a line.

Bowhunter57
There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those that have hunted them long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
- E. Hemmingway

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:20:12 PM »
Duneman101,
I'm in N.W. Ohio and there's not been any good ice this year. It's been unseasonably warm with no prospects for ice any time soon...except in my tea. :)

Last year was my first year of ice fishing and I love it. I was on 4" of ice by Dec. 22nd and the last good ice was on Feb. 20th. Unless we get hit with some sort of late season cold snap, I don't see any ice fishing in the future for me. There's only been skim ice or a 1/2" of slushy ice.

This week's forecast is showing temps in the lower 50s and upper 40s. I may be on some open water, late this week, with my kayak. 8) Can't wait to wet a line.

Bowhunter57

Welcome!  I am a member of iceshanty, and everyone out east has been boobin about the ice, it really sucks, we've had a really weird year too...  I'm in my 4th year of ice fishing, i can't get enough of it.

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »
Way to go Dune! O0 O0 O0

Got a question for you cold water boys. Are there grayling in any of the lower 48 waters?
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
Way to go Dune! O0 O0 O0

Got a question for you cold water boys. Are there grayling in any of the lower 48 waters?

Why yes there is.  There are still a couple high mountain lakes containing the little winged fella's, they planted a few in some low altitude lakes, haven't heard much about them though.  they are on my bucket list along with golden trout, i think i'll have to go to colorado for those.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
I thought I'd read that somewhere, but wasn't certain if they'd taken hold and could reproduce or if it was all put and take.

Don't they remind you of a large Beta fighting fish?

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »
Don't they remind you of a large Beta fighting fish?

Yeah now that you say it, they do...  funny!

Offline MKMGOBL

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 07:29:06 PM »
Ice fishing is going good here in NH. However this weekend it’s going to blow! There’s a big event Great Meredith Rotary Ice Fishing Derby  and I’ve got to head out of town to WV/PA for a wedding. Well the weekend won’t be a total bust…we’re gonna get in some wabbit hunting before the wedding.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »
 O0 Welcome to the gang and nice going, MK!

I tried ice fishing years ago and only got very cold feet. Now I wait until July to ice fish. :wink:

Ice fishermen here in SE Iowa have been doing very good this year.

I chose to eliminate squirrels and coyotes that might attack ice fishermen, until our squirrel hunting season closed the last of January.

A couple of my pals tie fishing jigs and flies using squirrel tails that I give them.

One pal and his wife I give tails to fishes a lot. They recently retired young and I assume they are ice fishing often.

A close to home public hunting and fishing area stocked muskies and northerns in the lake. I will probably give that lake a try after the fish get some growing time.

I don't panfish and only bass fish when I vacation to AZ and CA. Most fish caught through the ice here are panfish. Catching some muskies and northerns through the ice of the local lake sounds like fun.

I am tempted to head north someday to catch lake trout and regular trout through the ice. That would be conducted in a nice warm ice shanty.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments