November 20, 2017, 02:29:29 AM

Author Topic: Just So Ya' Don't Think Me and the Dog Are Totally Useless....  (Read 4644 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Just So Ya' Don't Think Me and the Dog Are Totally Useless....
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:14:56 AM »
Mongo and I have been getting out a little squirrel hunting. ;)   Trouble is, he gets car sick, so I've been working with him to get him over it, taking him on short trips here and there to get him used to riding.  Because of it, I haven't been able to take him down to the farm much.  Most of our time has been spent out at the local WMA, about 10 miles away, that gets hit pretty hard by any and all types of hunters.  :|   The vast majority of our trips amount to armed walks in the woods and exercise for both of us.  ;D

Anyway, we made it out to the WMA again this past weekend and were able to connect on a grey squirrel.  O0   Mongo jumped the squirrel up off the ground, ran him up a tree and was giving him hell!  >:D O0   I only had a shot at the squirrel's mid section, but knowing the little green Ruger 10/22 wouldn't do as much damage as the .17 HMR, I popped him through the guts.  He made it down the tree and hit the ground, but that was just icing on the cake for both me and the little dog.  O0 >:D ;D   The chase was on!  Mongo jumped over and through some junk to get to the squirrel and got delayed just a little, but it just gave the squirrel a "sporting chance".  ;) ::)   He finally got him and shook the crap out of him a couple of times.  I finally got him away from the squirrel long enough for me to get to him and step on his head to do him in the final bit that Mongo didn't take care of.  ;)

By the time both me and the little dog got back to the truck, both of us were pretty well pooped out.  No tailgate pictures because we were both pooped and I was parked by a 4 lane road.  I took the picture back here at the house in the back yard.  O0

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Just So Ya' Don't Think Me and the Dog Are Totally Useless....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:40:39 AM »
Excellent work BC  O0 Now you gotta get him to scenting them squirrels. Drag it around the yard and make him go find it.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:34:05 AM »
Excellent work BC  O0 Now you gotta get him to scenting them squirrels. Drag it around the yard and make him go find it.

He does.  I've dragged hides and he scents them and follows where it's been.  Just out at the WMA, it gets hit pretty hard by quite a few people and squirrels are few and far between out there.  :(  As an example, we got out there last week at about 10:00 and there were 2 other vehicles there.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »
wow he got Tall!! you sure he isnt a Parsons, and not a JRT?
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:38:30 AM »
wow he got Tall!! you sure he isnt a Parsons, and not a JRT?

Ain't neither.  He's a registered Buckley Mountain Feist.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
 O0 O0 O0 O0 Nice work, Mongo and BC!

He's going to be a great squirrel dog, BC! He will get over that car sickness.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:23:05 AM »

Ain't neither.  He's a registered Buckley Mountain Feist.  O0

ohhh that explains it then dont it....
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:40 AM »
So how do you like the Garmin? My buddy got the new 320 with a 40 and gets serious range! My 220 with a 30 and NO updates will get .6 miles  ;D

Might be great range for a squirrel dog but SUCKS for a coondog  :tickedoff

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
So how do you like the Garmin? My buddy got the new 320 with a 40 and gets serious range! My 220 with a 30 and NO updates will get .6 miles  ;D

Might be great range for a squirrel dog but SUCKS for a coondog  :tickedoff

Don't really know what kind of range mine gets.  Mongo usually stays within a couple hundred yards of me, so I haven't been able to find out how far it will read.  I do know that it starts giving some seriously weird readings when the batteries in the receiver start getting low.  :x   You know something isn't right when it's saying he's 50 yds out and to the East when he's only about 10 feet North of me.  ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 09:03:01 PM »
Mine acts just like that when the handheld batts are low. I did notice when the compass points wrong and the yardage is not what it should be the map line is spot on still.

I hooked the collar on my mailbox and took off driving to verify the range. My buddies 320 came with a longer antenna and I used it but still no change.

My 220 and 30 combo seems to link up to each other faster than his 320 and 40 does. The 320 and 40 pick the collar back up a bit quicker when the collar is lost.

Facebook Comments