October 20, 2017, 03:14:18 AM

Author Topic: Just About Got The Bow Back Together  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Just About Got The Bow Back Together
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »
No, nothing happened to it, other than me.  ;D   Since it's the off season, I figured I'd work on the Excalibur a little to "tweek" it just a tad.  ;)   I basically took everything down to single pieces, with the exception of the trigger mechanism/box.  Excalibur has the best trigger in the crossbow market, so there wasn't much that needed to be done to it, nothing internally though.

Cleaned all of the dirt and pieces of leaves out of different places that I still can't figure out how it got in there in the first place.  :?   Cleaned all of the screws/bolts and wiped them down with silicon.  Scraped all of the old wax off of the rail, cleaned it with Goo-Gone, and then wiped it down with silicon/teflon to get it slicker than a greased minner's pecker.  O0   Wiped the rest of the pieces down to get any dirt and stuff off of them.

All of that was the "easy" part.  ::)   The rail on my Equinox is a big 2-chambered piece of rectangular aluminum tubing.  When you shoot, there's a little bit of a hollow sound from the rail.  Took the rail, wrapped it with tape to keep everything off of it, and then filled both of the hollow chambers with expandable foam.  >:D   After it cured for about a week, I had to carve out where the trigger assembly goes and clean it down to the metal in that area, trim off any excess on the ends, drill out the holes where bolts go through, etc.  Got the rail done, so I set it aside and went onto other things.......

The custom string that I had on it, the serving was wearing a little, so I sent it back to the guy that made it to have him reserve it.  When he sent it back, I had him include some "sandpaper" to work on the string latch with and some really soft string conditioner.  When I say "sandpaper", I use that term very loosely.  ::)   There were 3 grades, 15 microns (1,000 grit), 5 microns (2,500 grit), and 0.5 microns (9,000 grit).  ;D   The purpose of the strips isn't so much to "sand" the latch as it is to "polish" it.  Since the 2 prongs on the latch are holding back 225 lbs, any rough spots at all will really tear a serving up.  It took me about a week to get all of the edges and corners polished up and smooth, just working on it at night during commercials on TV.  ;)

Got some Bowjax arrow retention spring vibration reducers and slid them on the spring arm and then took a piece of shrink tubing and put it on the end of the arm where it's going to contact the arrow (and subsequently smack the rail once the arrow exits) and shrunk it into place.  Put the scope mount rail back into place and put some Loctite thread lock on the screws as I put them back in.

On the metal loop that you put your foot in to cock the bow, without anything on it, when you shoot it acts like a tuning fork and resonates a little.  I got a LimbSaver rubber handle wrap, meant for shock absorbtion on the handle of a "vertical" bow, and wrapped it around the metal loop.  This will take the "tuning fork" hum out of the shot.  O0

That's about it.  About the only other thing I can do to "improve" the bow is to send the trigger mechanism off to a guy to have him do a trigger job on it.  If "I" crack open the box, it voids the warranty.  If this guy does it, it "technically" voids the warranty on the trigger also, but the guy is basically authorized by the owner of Excalibur to work on the triggers, so it's kind of a moot point.  I'm not having any trouble with the trigger and it's pretty sweat as it is, so I think I'll save the $50 for now for the trigger job.  ;)

Figured I'd take my spare unused custom string and put it on the bow this time to get it stretched out and use it for a few years.  Got tired of the yellow and red string so now I'll be switching to the red and green string.  ;)

So what are the benifits of everything I did?  :?   Filling the rail with the foam will take the hollow sound out of a shot.  Wrapping the foot loop with the rubber will take out the "tuning fork" sound that it makes at a shot.  Putting the Bowjax rubbers on the arrow retention spring will take the vibration out of it, and the shrink tubing on the end will eliminate the metal to metal "smack" of the retention spring when the arrow leaves the bow.  Polishing the string claws won't do anything for the sound, but it will make the string release smoother and reduce the serving wear on the string.  Locking in the screws with the Loctite...... that's a no-brainer.  Cleaning off all of the old wax and slicking the rail up with the silicon/teflon will increase the string speed and reduce the friction on the serving.

So all in all, the bow should be quite a bit smoother and quieter when I shoot, which should translate into the noise of it going off being less of a threat to the deer.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Just About Got The Bow Back Together
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
So all in all, the bow should be quite a bit smoother and quieter when I shoot, which should translate into the noise of it going off being less of a threat to the deer.  O0

But then again, at about 340 fps, inside 30 yds it isn't going to make much of a difference anyway.  >:D

But it'll make me feel better anyway.  O0 ;D ;D ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:48:36 PM »
But will this get you on the cover of Crossbow Magazine? :D ;D :twisted: :roll: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
But will this get you on the cover of Crossbow Magazine? :D ;D >:D ::) ;)

Lord knows, I've done more than SOME people have that have been on the cover.  ::)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:30:41 PM »
I don't know... You did get some rediculous discounts when you bought the bow, it was almost like they GAVE it to you. And you promote their brand where you can...

All kidding aside, sounds some worthwhile mods you've been doing. When I was reading up on airguns, the expanding foam was a standard go-to for those dang hollow plastic stocks they keep putting out and for the same reason. I don't guess the re-serve will require another break-in, but changing to the un-used string will. Guess you knew that. Sounds like a real plan. This way if you had to change strings in the field, your back-up is already broken in.
 Now you got a reason to get out and shoot it more in the off season  O0
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »
Yeah, that's the reason I'm putting the other string on.  ;)   It's already been prestretched to some extent, but I know it's not all the way.  The old string, no the reserving won't affect it.  I keep 2-3 spare strings and a stringer in the bow case just in case something happens to the string while I'm out.

I'm planning on getting out more this year and shooting it more.  Since I got the bow, I've been using just a standard arrow set up that Excalibur recommends..... Excalibur Firebolt arrows with 4" vanes and 150 grain Boltcutter broadheads.  This set up has worked, but I'm bored with it now.  ;)   Part of the fun is experimenting to see what everything will do.  I'm going to start fletching up my own arrows, putting custom wraps on them, and try some different broadheads.  "Theoretically" my field points and broadheads should have the same POI but they don't.  That's part of the reason for starting to roll my own.  I used to make all of my own arrows when I shot vertical bows, so I've already got some of the stuff.  Figured I'd get some Gold Tip Lazer II arrows, 2" Blazer vanes, custom wraps, brass inserts, and the Luminocks.  For the broadhead, I'm either going to try the Slick Tricks, Razor Tricks, or Swhacker heads.  Still kind of undecided on the wrap design.  What do you all think?

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
Nice looking wraps. I'm liking the copperhead and rattlesnake ones the most, for some reason. Won't make them any easier to find, but stirs a feeling of "deadly" that has it's roots from when we all first set out in the wood and started learning what to stay away from.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »

Lord knows, I've done more than SOME people have that have been on the cover.  ::)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

SOOOO TRUE!!!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:26:54 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 07:28:48 PM »
I like the many animals were harmed or the duck or bleed or the duck or die.

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »
My vote is for "Just Passin Through"
Only dead fish swim with the current!

Facebook Comments