November 23, 2017, 08:01:20 AM

Author Topic: Marlin 795  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
Marlin 795
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:03:51 PM »
Well I needed a new coon getter and narrowed it down to either a 795 or the new XT series. After getting some prices and weights I decided to go with the 795. My cousin and her husband opend a gun shop a year and some months ago and she gave me the rifle more or less  O0

My Model 60 had taken a SERIOUS beating last season and with Mom passing I didn't want to pass the rifle down tore all to sh**  ;D

I did not get to sight it in last weekend. With the skeet league going on and our weather being prime for the sporting clay shooters getting out... we were busier than a 2$ hooker on Sat night

Anyone own one? I am leaning towards trading the trigger out for a DIproducts and buying another Leupold for it.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Marlin 795
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:24:39 AM »
I don't have one, but you can't go wrong with it being a Marlin.  O0   ;D   I wonder if they make a shorter magazine for it though?  If so, I'd look into getting one if I were you, as it looks like that mag might get old poking you in the back.  ;)   As for the scope, you can never go wrong with a Leupold, but you may want to also look at Redfield.  Leupold bought the rights to start producing them again and from what I've heard, they're the same quality as the Leupold, but a little cheaper.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »
I am not familiar with that new gun you have, Tech. But BC probably has a couple.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »
John the 795 is essentially a 60 but mag fed rather tube fed.

I don't mind the mag capacity it is easy enough to keep in my pocket until it is time to drop a coon. I didn't like fumbling with the tube everytime we got in and out if the truck.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
 Can't go wrong with a clip fed model 60. Tried and true. I'm not a fan of syn stocks, just old school bias I think. I can see where it might stand up better to the crashing and bashing thru the brush in the dark better than the wood stocked XT.
 Now the choice becomes wheither to get a syn and add an after market trigger or get the wood stock that comes with the pro trigger thingie.
 I haven't read much on the new triggers since I got the HMR, but it's gotta be better than the standard trigger that the HMR originally had. You might want to read up on it on the rimfire forum.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 07:08:05 PM »
Mo you pretty much hit it on the head. I too rather solid lumber over a syn stock anyday. But the syn stock does take the brush better without showing signs. I did buy a Canter Point 4-16 with an Illuminated reticle. I paid around 70$ at Wal-Mart. My step dad put one on his AR and it held up pretty well, not to mention the illuminated reticle is fun at night  O0 A higher end optic is def needed though  O0

Here are a few shots of the coon getter!

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »
Here is a link to DI Products page with the new trigger assembly. It won't cut pull really but it does, as I have been told, make for a cleaner break and a better feel. Not to mention it does look a little better

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156299&CAT=3603

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 08:51:29 AM »
Any model 60 type rifle will be a good rifle. And as for the scope, I put one like yours on a pal's .22 rifle and sighted it in. I like those scopes. He gave me what he had to spend and I bought the scope at Wallyworld.

My pal that worked there owned a couple and sold a lot of them. He recommended the scope.

A light coon rifle is what we always desired when coon hunting. I believe that rifle and scope will do you a real good job, Tech.  O0

I think the factory trigger will be just fine, given the triggers on all the model 60's I have owned. I still own one that needs a little action work done on it. My Model 60 rifle had a lot of Stingers ran through it and is still a nail driver.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »
I def do not doubt the trigger will be any different than my Mod 60, but it does look cool and it is a part for the gun I can spend money on  ;D

I had the scope on my Mod 60 last coon season and it got beat around the brush quite a bit. I took a 16 yr old first timer alot last year and his job was to carry the rifle. We turned out on a WMA and the creek has a nice wood walk bridge to cross. Just as I turned around to tell him it will be slick in the rubber boots I hear " WAAAM... S***"  ;D ;D The rifle was beneath him. I figured the scope was either going to be A. broken or at least B. needing to re-sighted. We took a shot and it wasn't off by a ton. I was impressed. I thought for the price I paid the scope would only be used as a glorified looking glass  ;D

I will more than likely take the Leupold off the HMR and put it on the 795 and buy another Leupold for the HMR. My wife has learned well... Everytime I get a new gun, I need to get new optics  :twisted:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »
Ya trained her right, Tech!  :wink: O0

Facebook Comments