November 21, 2017, 08:57:29 PM

Author Topic: He Ain't Big, But He's Meat!  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
He Ain't Big, But He's Meat!
« on: April 15, 2012, 08:27:48 PM »
Our season opened yesterday.  I got down there and in the woods about 6:00 AM.  Sat all frickin' day and saw 1 hen and that was it.   :x   No deer, no coyotes, no squirrels, no coons, no nothing!  :tickedoff   It was windy as all get out all day.  I heard 5-6 different gobblers, but none were close and none were on our land.  Counted 15 shots total, all in the morning.  I'd say 12 amounted to dead birds.  The other 3 was a "boom", "boom", "boom" really quick.  ;D   Pretty good bet that was a miss.

Went back down this morning.  Back up on the bench about 6:15 AM.  It was acting like it was going to be windy again, so I wasn't real hopeful.  Didn't hear any gobbles at daylight.  Finally, the wind just stopped, and everything came to life.   O0   I could hear about 3 different hens around me in different areas calling trying to get a gobbler's attention, so I wasn't about to be outdone.   ;)    I heard one hen up on the ridge calling, but she started to act like I was ticking her off by the way she was sounding, so I quit calling in case she had a gobbler in tow so she wouldn't lead him away.  About 5 minutes later, I heard 1 gobble from up on the ridge at about 7:20 AM.  I purred once and clucked a couple of times on the call, set it down, and put the gun up.

It took several minutes, but I started to hear some leaves rustling coming down off the ridge.  ;)    Had 4 turkeys come down the ridge, but it was still a little dark in the woods, especially will all the leaves we've got, and I couldn't tell exactly "what" they were.   :?   I couldn't see any beards swinging, they were hung up about 35-40 yds out, and it wasn't that light.  I kept waiting for them to get closer so I could tell for sure if they were hens or gobblers, but they started getting antsy since they knew that hen was there, but couldn't see her.  Finally, I picked out one that I knew HAD to be a male.  His head was a lighter color and it didn't have any feathers on it.  I started following him in the scope, when he cleared a tree and another bird got away from him, I dropped the hammer on him.  DRT!   >:D   Even at 40 yds, when that Winchester Supreme Elite Extended Range 3 1/2" load of #5's through an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke hits, the majority of the pellets are still within about the size of a basketball.  O0

It's a good think KY's reg's say "male or bearded" turkeys.  No wonder I couldn't see his beard.   ;D

But I don't turkey hunt for the beards and spurs.  I'm in it for the meat!  O0

By the time I get done with one, there usually isn't a whole lot left.  ;D

I skinned the thing because I'm thinking of doing a cape mount on the skin.  I've been wanting to try it for awile, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  A turkey cape mount is the skin/feathers from the neck all the way down the back all the way to the fan.  Here's a picture of one I found on the web.

I've still got awile to hunt and and still have 1 more tag left.  Hopefully I'll find one a little more "respectable".  ;) ;D

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: He Ain't Big, But He's Meat!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »
 O0 O0 O0 Ya put the hammer on him! Proof that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, BC! It;s still a very nice bird. That cape and tail should look nice on the wall.

It sounds like pretty tough hunting this year.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:15:13 PM »
Don't know what the deal is.  Don't know if it's because of the early green up and warm temps or what.  The turkeys seem to be cooperating, if I can just get the weather to do the same.  :x

Chalk another one up for "The Little Injun".  O0   The little knife made short work of the bird and is just the right size when you're in/around the wing and hip joints of a turkey.  :)   Not to mention, it works really well when filleting the breast out, since you can get in all of the little nooks and crannies to get all of the meat.  ;)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:42:01 PM »
 O0 :) I'm sure glad "The Little Injun" works good, BC! I'm also glad you put the knife to good use instead of it being abondoned in a collection, too!  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:38:21 PM »
O0 :) I'm sure glad "The Little Injun" works good, BC! I'm also glad you put the knife to good use instead of it being abondoned in a collection, too!  :)

Nah, the only one that is in "a collection" is the one I gave Bob and then got back after he passed away.  ;)   That ones home is in the safe.  My big blade field dressed and skinned the 3 deer last year.  Mason's blade is still in the safe, but it's only temporarily there for safe keeping until he gets a little older and can start putting it to proper use.  O0   You know, hammering stuff, prying open paint cans, cutting wire, etc.  ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 10:04:34 AM »

Nah, the only one that is in "a collection" is the one I gave Bob and then got back after he passed away.  ;)   That ones home is in the safe.  My big blade field dressed and skinned the 3 deer last year.  Mason's blade is still in the safe, but it's only temporarily there for safe keeping until he gets a little older and can start putting it to proper use.  O0   You know, hammering stuff, prying open paint cans, cutting wire, etc.  ;D
  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
Way to go!!  O0 O0 O0 O0

Get the deep fryer ready and inject some Cajun juice and you're ready for some food!!

Those 3 1/2" Mags ain't so bad, are they?! :twisted: :roll: :wink:

This should get you on the cover of Turkey Monthly Magazine too! :wink: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
You did a heck of a lot better than the turkey hunters here are doing, BC!  O0

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »
Can't eat the beard anyway BC!! Congrats  O0 O0

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »
Can't eat the beard anyway BC!! Congrats  O0 O0

Ned
  O0 Yeah on that! Most of our birds killed here have been small and not very many are being harvested. I'm pretty sure it was the early warmup that ruined the season.  :sad:

Facebook Comments