November 25, 2017, 04:14:59 AM

Author Topic: out of these which one?  (Read 1502 times)

BBF

out of these which one?
« on: April 16, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »
I'm looking over the selection of 22 Rimfire rifles available here.

The ones my niece could afford are mostly from Marlin.
Model 60
  "     981
  "     983T or 983 M

Any thoughts or warnings??

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
Re: out of these which one?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
I own Model 60 and love it. I have had no problems with it what so ever. That gun has probably seen 10,000 rounds and other than liking particular ammo over another brand, that is what I would get. If she can find a Marlin 795 that is in the same price range as the 6, uses the same action and it is a ball to shoot!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:31:34 PM »
Almost apples and oranges.
 I'm partial to the 60. I've had one for years. Either way tube feed can be a PITA. Just takes too long to reload the whole thing.
 I guess it comes dowm to what she's gonna do with it. 22lr is cheap to shoot, so plinking a couple hundred rounds won't break the bank. The Magnum loads are a bit more expensive. In the magnums favor, they are truly jacketed bullets and offer a bit more range and terminal performance. Very good choice for groundhogs and yotes at reasonable ranges.
 The bolt vs auto arguement continues. Autos can waste ammo, but dang it's fun. Great for friendly competition  ( who can hit it first and keep it moving). There are skills to be learned from such games. On the other hand, the bolt encouarges the "make every shot count" mentality.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
Model 60!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:06:01 AM »
I know so little about rimfire rifles I am hanging my head in shame.
Anyway, my friendly mailorder Co had Model 927's( I don't even know who makes it but presume it is a Marlin)) :sad: on sale for about 60 bucks below retail price.
So I ordered one in Realtree trim for $156.95

By the time you add tax and the outrageous shipping cost it is a tad over 200 bucks.

It should be here by the time we get back from our trip.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
I know so little about rimfire rifles I am hanging my head in shame.
Anyway, my friendly mailorder Co had Model 927's( I don't even know who makes it but presume it is a Marlin)) :sad: on sale for about 60 bucks below retail price.
So I ordered one in Realtree trim for $156.95

By the time you add tax and the outrageous shipping cost it is a tad over 200 bucks.

It should be here by the time we get back from our trip.
Yeah, shipping ain't cheap! Good choice for a rifle, BBF! I hope BC doesn't see this post. He won't let me forget any positive remarks I make about Marlins.  :roll: ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »
I've owned a number of Centerfire Marlins over the years and all but one of them shoot fine to very good. The black sheep was in 44 Rem Mag. That one :tickedoff me off

Offline JohnDoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 01:30:26 AM »
Model 60. They last forever.
Neck shots = no running.

BBF

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
Everything is on HOLD.
The Store hasn't got any in their Calgary warehouse(nothing new with that bunch) and now is trying to find one of the rifles in the several Stores they got around the country.

The Firearms Class( mandatory here if you wish to purchase or posses) was filled up for April. The Instructor for the May class is a 24 Karat a$$hole and I wouldn't send anyone to his class. So now it will be June. After the successful(I hope) class there will be the required RCMP back ground check, pictures submitted etc etc.  I would suspect it will be early fall before my niece can legally own anything and I'm not about to lend here any of mine without her having the permit.

In the meantime  ;D there are a couple of foxes that have discovered the chickens they have available free range :roll:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:03:20 PM by BBF »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 08:26:28 AM »
  O0  :twisted: Nail those foxes, BBF!

BUMMER on your Canadian gun laws!  :tickedoff

Facebook Comments