November 24, 2017, 07:48:00 AM

Author Topic: My Dog's First Real Hunting Trip  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
  • I love animals.... They're delicious!!
My Dog's First Real Hunting Trip
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
Hi ya'll!  I'm going to take my dog (Rat Terrier) on her first real hunting trip this weekend.  She's been treeing squirrels in the yard for months and really seems into it.  I have never squirrel hunted with a dog before and info on a dogs very first trip is hard to find.  Any onformation on what to expect in the first few trips and pointers would be appreciated. 
Don't feel bad.....  We can't all be #1.

Offline 2Nutz

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: My Dog's First Real Hunting Trip
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »
Lots of ticks and chiggers!  O0 Keeping up with her is the main part. My squirrel dog before she broke her back would chase em over the ridge and get out of sight too much! Good luck.  O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:14:10 AM »
BC and Rifleman have squirrels dogs and can tell ya about them. Good hunting with your squirrel dog, Justin!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
  • I love animals.... They're delicious!!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:55:10 AM »
Well.... I was taking my dog out to relieve herself before we went to bed and as soon as we stepped outside she started running on a scent trail back and forth through the yard. I turned on the flood lights to watch her work and I see a opossum on top of our 7 ft privacy fence. I decided to let her have fun for a little bit. Then..... She jumped to the toP of the fence grabbed the opossum by the neck, shook it violently and killed it all within about 2 seconds. She's been treeing him about every other night for a couple of weeks, but I guess she got tired of messing with him. I can't wait to get her in the woods on some squirrels this weekend!

Don't feel bad.....  We can't all be #1.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 05:22:09 AM »
 O0  ;D Good Kill dog! Maybe you won't even have to take your rifle!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »
What no pictures? Some kind of dogman your are  ;D

Facebook Comments