November 21, 2017, 08:48:23 AM

Author Topic: Bought a New Rifle  (Read 3633 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Bought a New Rifle
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
Bo, If I could get you to come shoot this new rifle, Either you or Chuck, Then it would be worth a whole lot more. I would need a letter stating that you are the great Bohicajuan. Either that or a Pic of you and Chuck shooting it signed by both of you. Then we would be talking big bucks!
Yeah! And Chuck could (possibly) get bo's autograph while they are there.

You might want to consider crowd control, J. With the whole Dallas Cheerleader squad, all the Playboy Bunnies and the usual Hollywood chic entourage, it will get crowded. And then Chuck shows up and bo's crowd asks, "Who's the old guy"?   :wink: ;D

Then the AP and the rest of the press shows up and it will resemble  the Superbowl.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 04:37:09 PM »
With a New Gander Mtn. open here, I was able to get a real nice scope to finish out this rifle. I bought a Burris 4.5 x 14 x 42 mm Fullfield II. Here is the link to it. http://www.burrisoptics.com/fullfield1.html#45x14x

It has the Ballistic Plex sights on it for long distance. I am real happy with this setup. It only has 64" drop at 500 yards and still has over 2500 FPS at that distance. 1.3" high at 100 your at zero at 200 and zero again at 400.  Looking forward to Oct 20th to get out and see how it performs on a live target.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »
They have a Gander Mountain down there now? Man I didn't know! I get their e-mails but didn't know one was opening down there. How do you rate against Bass Pro Shops?

Burris is a good quality scope, I had an older model Fullfield and loved it. With all that magnification you should be able to really reach out and touch someone! O0 O0 O0 O0

Yep, opening day will be here before you know it!!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 09:25:28 AM »
Gander Just opened down here. Grand Opening was this past weekend. It is better than anything we have here, but being and old Missouri boy who remembers when Bass Pro started in a Liquor Store, I got to stick with Bass Pro.  I went in Gander and paid for stuff with my Bass Pro credit card. Maybe We will get one down this way someday. Macon is a good ride to visit Bass Pro.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »
J-, those centerfire 77 rifles are pretty nice. We had them at work for sniper rifles for years until they upgraded us a while back with regular ( $4500) military issued sniper rifles.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline JohnDoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 02:17:42 AM »
With a New Gander Mtn. open here, I was able to get a real nice scope to finish out this rifle. I bought a Burris 4.5 x 14 x 42 mm Fullfield II. Here is the link to it. http://www.burrisoptics.com/fullfield1.html#45x14x

It has the Ballistic Plex sights on it for long distance. I am real happy with this setup. It only has 64" drop at 500 yards and still has over 2500 FPS at that distance. 1.3" high at 100 your at zero at 200 and zero again at 400.  Looking forward to Oct 20th to get out and see how it performs on a live target.

Okay, I'm confused! 1.3 " high @ 100 yds, zero at 200 yards, I can see that, but zero again @ 400, uh-uh. Unless you're using anti-gravity bullets,    ^-^  physics dictates that there must be some drop between 200 and 400 yards.
Neck shots = no running.

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 08:41:51 AM »
Okay, I'm confused! 1.3 " high @ 100 yds, zero at 200 yards, I can see that, but zero again @ 400, uh-uh. Unless you're using anti-gravity bullets,    ^-^  physics dictates that there must be some drop between 200 and 400 yards.

Well, those numbers came off of Remington's site for bullet size and accurate  chart. According to it, with my caliber and bullet size, if I site in at 100 yards - 1.3" high, it is zero at 200 and at 400. After the 400 range there is a big drop. According to what I have read, there is a curve where the bullet is still rising at 200 yards, it drops back into zero at 400 yards, then drops significantly out to 500 and beyond. More than likely I will never take a shot over 200 yards, But if I needed to, it is nice to know where it will hit.  From what I have seen, most rifles, when they start loosing bullet speed is when the drop really starts. Mine for example is at 2860 fps at muzzle, 2790 fps at 200 yards, but down to 2500 range out at 500 yards. That tells me with the decrease of bullet speed is where your drop starts due to gravity.  I do not say I am a guy who is an expert on this, Maybe, some of the Service guys on here can set me straight.  Heck! I miss more deer than I get! With this new Rifle I really want to be accurate with it and have prob read way too much about it. ;D ;D 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:47:58 AM by J-BUCKS »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 09:13:54 AM »
The only way to get the correct dope on your rifle is take your chart with you to the range and shoot the different distances with your rifle. The outing will give you clear knowledge of range and windage clicks.

As a civilian, you won't have to doubletime to the range and doubletime home.  :wink:

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »
The only way to get the correct dope on your rifle is take your chart with you to the range and shoot the different distances with your rifle. The outing will give you clear knowledge of range and windage clicks.

As a civilian, you won't have to doubletime to the range and doubletime home.  :wink:
John, I couldn't Double time it across the front yard, much less from the range home!  ;D ;D

Went out and Shot the M77 last Sat. 2 things I learned from it.
 # 1. With the right scope, this rifle will reach out and touch things I never could reach before.
# 2.  Got to hold it tight to my shoulder when shooting it. After a box of shells, my shoulder looks like I got hit with a softball at 90 mph! A recoil Pad is top on the list this weekend for it!
Great patterning rifle. 1 inch 3 shot groupings at 100 yards. Wont be able to see how it shoots at longer ranges until the farmers gets the cotton out of the field, but I am already planning for the balloon test at 200,300,400,and 500 yards prob after deer season. To be able to pop a 8" balloon at 500 yards will be my ultimate goal with this rifle.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »
 :shock: If I was going to burn a box of 7MM Mag ammo at the range, I would be using something like one of those LeadSleds, even if I had to make my own. Some folks could develop a flinch if doing a lot of shooting with those mule kickers.

Facebook Comments