November 23, 2017, 07:17:05 PM

Author Topic: Paging Mr. Andrews!  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
Paging Mr. Andrews!
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »
I have a buddy, an old timer, who stops by the gun club ever now and again that is having problems with Hornady's V-Max ammo. He bought a carton and had quite a few cracked casings. He would not have known but he had one bullet not leave the barrel. When he tried to jack another round the blot would not close all the way. He took the carton back to where he got them and Hornady replaced the whole carton.

Hornady told him that CCI made a bunch for them and it was probably a quality issue with CCI. Sure sounds like a pass the buck to me but that is beside the point  ;D

Well He had the same problem yesterday and found a few cracked casings. Have you had any issue with any V-Max ammo?

I have not and checked I my surplus and did not find any that were cracked or bad.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Paging Mr. Andrews!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:11:56 AM »
Yes, I have also had some issues with the same ammo. It mostly comes down to batches (lots) of poor brass.

I would suggest he take it back to the store and swap for another brand name (such as Federal) so he will be sure to fall into a different lot. CCI loads all the popular brands of HMR ammo.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »
I was on RC and saw other people have had that same issue. I also read that CCI pretty much makes the big name HMR ammo. I told him I would stop buying from the same place for a bit.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:34:49 AM »
I was on RC and saw other people have had that same issue. I also read that CCI pretty much makes the big name HMR ammo. I told him I would stop buying from the same place for a bit.
Yep, good idea. It sounds like he received a whole batch of Hornady ammo. My brother and I bought 5 1/2 bricks of Hornady ammo that was on sale. Some of that ammo had defects. It's almost all used up.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »
The problem with the ammo seems to be with the brass, some being defective, as far as swelling and splitting is concerned.

It was suggested some of the brass was too hard.

Facebook Comments