October 16, 2017, 05:51:00 PM

Author Topic: Hunting In The Wind  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
  • I love animals.... They're delicious!!
Hunting In The Wind
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:53:47 AM »
Anyone got an idea of how windy is too windy to squirrel hunt with a dog?  It's supposed to be blowing 13mph tomorrow.  If I wasn't going to use a dog I know I'd stay home, but wondering how a dog does in the wind?  How windy is too windy?
Don't feel bad.....  We can't all be #1.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Hunting In The Wind
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 05:27:16 AM »
Some days 15-20 MPH is too much but I have been out in some winds stronger than that and killed a few.

A few years ago I was hunting with 35 MPH wind and heard a squirrel bark. I was just about ready to turn around and head home. What the squirrel was barking at was a coyote hunting with its nose into the wind. Long story short, I didn't get the squirrel but nailed the coyote.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:03:36 PM »
The wind was blowing 15mph this morning.  I saw 12, and bagged 4.  Would have been more, but I was trying to get my dog to tree them and they got away...... >:(

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:42:33 AM »
The wind was blowing 15mph this morning.  I saw 12, and bagged 4.  Would have been more, but I was trying to get my dog to tree them and they got away...... >:(
  :shock: Bummer! dog needs work!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:58:05 AM »
It wasn't really her fault We were in really tall thick weeds. She couldn't see the squirrels. Most of the time I couldn't even see he and she was right next to me. We're going to a better spot tomorrow where she can use her nose AND eyes!  Hoping she does better there.....

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 09:25:09 AM »
It wasn't really her fault We were in really tall thick weeds. She couldn't see the squirrels. Most of the time I couldn't even see he and she was right next to me. We're going to a better spot tomorrow where she can use her nose AND eyes!  Hoping she does better there.....
That would sure make a difference!

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 03:52:39 PM »
Took another armed walk in the woods today. We saw one squirrel. Roxy saw it and was trying to run to go tree it, but I couldn't get her off of the lead in time before the squirrel disappeared into the distance. It was totally my fault we missed out on that one.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 05:42:33 PM »
Need to get BC to weigh in on this conversation. He's a dog man and has a new dog he's training as we speak!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments