November 22, 2017, 02:21:21 AM

Author Topic: Need an opinion!  (Read 2404 times)

Offline southernpride27

Need an opinion!
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »
Hey yall recently got into bow huntin didnt used to be big on it cause frankly ive never been to accurate with a bow but a buddy of mine took me bow huntin and im hooked and want a compound bow of my own.. ive been lookin into them and have narrowed it down to hoyt and mathews any opinions here? Thanks!

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
  • I love animals.... They're delicious!!
Re: Need an opinion!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:42:04 PM »
Both are great bows.  Get whichever one feels the most comfortable in your hand and you feel like you would be the happiest with.  As far as accuracy......  Practice! Practice! Practice!..........  You'll get better.
Don't feel bad.....  We can't all be #1.

Offline BowNinja

• Happiness is a warm gut pile...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:43:29 AM »
Personally I hunt with a HOYT Intruder Compound bow and I absolutely love it! I agree though that you need to try before you by and see what feels good to you.
Thank God I don't hunt people, there would be none of you left!

BBF

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »
Awww come on!! If you want to be a real archer get a longbow and use wooden shafts.
I'll even consider you as an archer using a reflex and shooting instinctive. :twisted: ;D ;D

Offline 2Nutz

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
Stick bow is the way to go. My son just got out the Marines after four years of serving in afgh. Took him to the local BassPro and he picked out a takedown recurve. I say he is salty with it too. And I didnt even need to teach him much! O0 O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »
I went back to shooting a recurve many moons ago. Most of the people I know use compounds and both Mathews and Hoyts are great bows. Problem with a bow is that it takes more IMHO to get it to feel right. Find a good archery shop in your neck of the woods and check them out and see if they can't get you set up. Just one mans opinion, but you might want to check into Martins as well.  O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

BBF

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »
My reply was posted with a good bit of  :D :wink:added.
Have a look at the following site www. woodbows.com

It could make a difference in your decision. I'm a member of another Site and have read some good reviews on the above products.

Offline SteveinNEPA

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:56:26 PM »
Buddy of mine just 3 months picked up a bow, hes never used one in his life. Got a second hand matthews solocam, and after a bit of instruction Ive got him putting a 3 arrow group into a 5x5 square at 30 yards (5x5 inches :p) In the beginning he couldnt even HIT the target, so hes raring to go now. PRACTICE and making sure the bow is properly set up for YOU is what will make you accurate, the bow itself is simply what feels good in your hands. I use a bear, but Ive had a hoyt and a matthews, but honestly the bear is just what feels good and has been responsible for many a deer in the freezer.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:23:48 PM »
I'll just add a note that for a newbie archer, it's usually better to have rounder wheels. The more eccentric (egg shaped) the wheels (cams) the more critical your stance, posture and technique. Round cams/wheels are much more forgiving. All the above mentioned bows are known for being quality rigs.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
Cams and wheels on bows? Geeeze! Next thing ya know, they will be talking about someone going to the moon!  :wink:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments