November 24, 2017, 03:28:40 PM

Author Topic: New to squirrel hunting, tips welcome!  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Predat-Her

Re: New to squirrel hunting, tips welcome!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
Hahaha you guys are crazy, I already feel at home  8)

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »
we often have them spiral out of control.   ;D

Wait, this one was once in control?

BTW that GS could be one bad arse squirrel dog. I had a doberman that was a tree dog deluxe. Put that dog in some timber with squirrels and praise the heck out of it when it trees!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 08:40:31 AM »
Predat, you see how is here and see why we have fun. We do seem to veer off subject matter on occasions. It often ends in a free-for-all!  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Predat-Her

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 09:28:46 AM »
Techno: He seems to really enjoy it when I ask him to go find a squirrel. Just saying the word "Squirrel" or, as we sometimes call it "Squiller" sends him into a frenzy hahaha

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 10:20:59 PM »
Well I will tell you like I tell my wife "I ain't gonna sit here and speculate... turn that sum'beetch loose and let'um run!!"

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
I actually thought this post was a joke of some sorts.... if it isn't then I will chime in

To get in the cool club you will need a .17HMR and get a tat saying "only head shots count"

Or you could just push the right buttons on the moderators and push them far enough to where they're tired of your crap.  :)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 04:14:42 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;D ;D ;D

I got home yesterday with a couple of squirrels and one of my wife's muppet pups jumped up and yanked one of the squirrels right our if my hands. The little dustmop might have potential!  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline meatisgood

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 12:44:32 PM »
Welcome to the world of MEAT, tree rats are fun to hunt and very tasty. I use a jack for squirrel and rabbit she does a good job. but if you decide not to use a dog just go out and sit under and around some mast tress and you'll find some. they will all be on the ground right now so be sure to be looking down as well as up. also make sure to stay sittin after your first shot, if you get up you will scare the rest off and no more meat for you. instead after a minute or so use a call to bring them back in. I use a nylon bolt and scrape it with a dime, this simulates the sound they make chippin into a nut.
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
"Ted Nugent"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 08:33:38 AM »
My brother and I went out yesterday and didn't see much. I saw two gray tails blasting lightspeed through the brush and brother Don whacked one before that, a gray. He was really blasting away at two and got one. That's a fantastic score, considering his normal shooting.  ;D 

I could hear him blasting away and figured he must have gotten his limit.  :roll: ;D

During this time of winter in SE Iowa when a few squirrels finally do get out and run, it's usually a very short window of time.  :sad:

BBF

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 12:01:51 PM »
Hi Veggie Schreck :D

I'm on your side of the Border so I understand the Firearms License Tango you got to dance to.
Your present  air rifle is restricted to no more than 500 fps if you do not need a PAL/POL to carry it. The only squirrels I have ever shot with an air rifle was many years ago in the old country. The rifle was a Diana and I have no clue as to the Vel. produced. It had no problems doing in squirrels and crows with the only pelet that was available there called a Diabolo  flat point looking like an hourglass.
I'd do a few penetration tests on wet books and progressively thicker pieces of dressed lumber to see what you can get and then give yourself a max. distance to shoot at animals.

PS
After having typed the above I checked out that Crosman rifle you got. The Ad indicated it could produce velocities upward to 1000 fps. That puts it into the Firearm bracket and yes it would do just fine on squirrels and grouse if you have such an birds in your location.

Get your PAL pronto and even a standard 22 rimfire rifle is way more usefull or better yet a shotgun.
At 18 unless you are built like an elf you can handle a 20 gauge, certainly a 410.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:10:33 PM by BBF »

Facebook Comments