December 15, 2017, 05:20:31 AM

Author Topic: Opening Day this Saturday  (Read 1433 times)

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
Opening Day this Saturday
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:30:08 AM »
For Rifle at least. My brother took his boy down for a Youth hunt on Sat afternoon and when he hit the gate at the club, called me with bad news. The property to the south of us, ( 300ac Quail club) Started logging operation this past week!  :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff
I have never hunted around when that stuff was going on, so I am kinda in a funk about going this weekend. Been pouring the corn to them for the last month, but I am afraid it is all for nothing until they get done. Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens. Might make it better due to them pushing the deer to my area, or it might make it worse depending on how close they are to our property line.

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Opening Day this Saturday
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
If the land around you is mainly pine and belongs to the paper companies, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I've hunted on pine plantations before and you'd be surprised how deer get used to them cutting stuff down. They might change their movements a little but if you have some water or hardwood bottoms that are being left alone, I'd say you're going to be alright.

I'm getting older by the minute and BC stopped sending me the mind relaxer drinks his wife makes, so I might be off by a little on this, but the U of Georgia did a study back in the 80s about deer utilizing cutover pine thickets and the results were broken down into percentages. A sizeable portion went back into the cutovers within 24 hours. Most were using a sizeable portion of their range with 48-72 hours. It might be on the computer somewhere with those figures.

Its always a good bet to hunt the wooded areas that run up against clearcuts too.

My shoulder is still giving me problems so I might miss opening weekend. At least one of us needs to go, now that BC has killed 3 deer already!!! :roll: :wink:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:10:24 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »
Oh, I'll be there for sure. Just can't get excited knowing what has been going on at the club the past 2 weeks when I usually leave the place alone a couple weeks prior to the opening. Now, I guess We will have to wait and see what happens. I'll hunt it and learn so next time I'll know to stay in the bed and wait or hit the woods hard.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 08:14:54 AM »
Good luck, J!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »
You going to shoot any better this year?  ::)

I wouldn't worry about the logging too much if I were you.  Around here anyway, the deer don't seem to be bothered by it too much.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:43:49 AM »
I hope they clean the tops up where they are logging. I hunt a place that was almost ruined because they left the tops lying and the whole area grew in in briars.  >:(  Most landowners that have logging done require the tops being cleaned up. You might want to mention this to your club.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »
It is not my club that is being logged. It is the adjoining club to our south. It runs even with mine and is twice the size of my hunting area. I am hoping that getting in early Sat morning, that when they come in to start logging, any deer on that property will come our way. The adjoining club is mostly Quail hunters so the tops will just add cover for the quail.
Also Bo, you forget where I hunt. There Ain't any Hardwood Bottoms but there is SWAMP!!! ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:03:58 AM by J-BUCKS »

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 04:43:52 PM »
There Ain't any Hardwood Bottoms but there is SWAMP!!! ;D

Us Georgia natives call swamps, hardwood bottoms.  You CAN'T have swamps in the deep south without hardwoods!  O0 O0 O0

If there is a creek, river or standing water close to year round, where you hunt, there will be acorn trees.

If you have acorn trees some of those will be on higher ground. Meaning islands that the deer use. Hunt those locations ALL day.

Take you a lunch and if you have a treestand great, if not just sit near a tree on the rotting vegetation and that will cover your scent AND I promise you two things!!

1.Snakes
2.Deer

If you can handle #1, You WILL get #2!!! O0 O0 O0

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:45:48 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »
WELL? HOW DID YOU DO???

I decided to go after all. Can't have you guys having all the fun. Slept until noon on Saturday and then waddled up to one of my stands that sits on a ridge overlooking a small creek bottom that stays wet year round.

I'm up there maybe 15 minutes....Fall asleep again! :shock: :shock: :sad: :buck2

I know as loud as I snore I must have scared every deer in the county away. Wake up a little past 5 and managed to stay awake until dark, but didn't see or hear a thing. I think my snoring even scared the snakes away! :'( :'( :'( :-\ :-\ :-\

Sunday moring sat in the same stand and saw 5 doe by 2pm but no horns. I managed to stay awake the remainder of the day because I was into a good Clive Cussler book and I was listening to a couple of football games on my Sirius XM radio.

Just before dark I saw some movement on the other side of the creek, but not enough of the leaves have fallen down there and I couldn't even be sure it was deer. Might have been Bigfoot for all I know. :shock: :shock: :idiot2 :idiot2

Stopped by one of the coolers on the way home and the guy said it was about average. Had 21 brought in since the opener on Saturday. Biggest was a thick beamed 8-point that he said scored about 125 or so. Looked a little smaller than that to me, but my scoring has been way off as of late.

The really good news was I didn't use any of my pain pills while I was down there. I got home and took some regular excedrin and slept really well.

I'm still on light duty, but go see the quack....I mean doctor on Thursday for a preliminary check up.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:41:37 PM by bohicajuan »

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 08:03:15 AM »
We didn't see nothing on Sat. Morning. Loggers dropped 2 trees across onto our property that blocked a trail into one of the stands, so i will be out there this weekend with the chainsaw clearing that mess up. The Farmer sprayed the Cotton this past week so it may have been part of the problem. Just got to keep at it and hope for the best. What else can I do? Sit at home and listen to the wife nag me for not having any meat in the freezer???  :shock: :shock:

Facebook Comments