November 20, 2017, 12:38:38 AM

Author Topic: Gunstocks  (Read 1541 times)

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
Gunstocks
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:29:27 PM »
I am going to have some money soon and want to turn my 17hmr into a project. Figure a new trigger and maybe a little barrel work. But wondering what i am going to do for a stock. Nick my moms boyfriend is good with wood so i figure we can make the stock ourselves. Just wondering what properties I need for the wood and such for a thumb hole stock.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Gunstocks
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:17:54 PM »
Don't know if you should tackle that Fuzz.  A guy on the Excalibur forum makes custom crossbow stocks and has posted topics about the builds, step by step.  Just making the crossbow stocks, some of the stuff that has to go through to make sure that they're straight and the tolerances, it may beyond what you're capable of.  Don't know what you and your mom's boyfriend are capable of, but I do know some of the stuff that this guy does and it seems pretty complex with the twisting and bending that he has to do to keep the stocks where they need to be.

My suggestion is to look into the RifleBasix triggers and Boyd stocks.  The triggers you can do yourself.  The Boyd custom stocks are pretty sweet and you don't have to worry about the pains of trying to keep the frickin' thing straight and within tolerances for your rifle.  ;)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:26:20 AM »
You won't regret replacing your factory stock with a nice wood custom stock. What some custom stock makers are doing now is using your present stock, add the enhancements, thumbhole, and then replicate the stock with nice wood. That's what I had done for a perfect fit and drop in custom stock. The maker used nice curly grain cherry wood and added an inch for the length for a perfect fit.

I made 4 stocks and realize it's not worth the time and effort, given my shop workload. One was a crossbow stock and three were shotgun stock.

The inletting is a huge job for most do-it-yourselfers, even with the proper shop tools and machines.

What is the rifle you plan on customizing, fuzz?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline fuzztsimmers

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »
My marlin 917. Have been wanting to change the trigger for a while. So it has a need and while doing that might as well do more.

What did you learn?

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:15:40 PM »
Right on Getting rid of the factory trigger  O0 The gunstock... well if you just got nothing else to do with your time and money. Up-gradeing the stock is not such a bad idea, but making your own is another matter. Nice wood is expensive and the stock dimentions I don't think will come out of a standard 2 x anything. Now it might mean going to a 4 x ? of whatever wood and alot of that will be cut away. Getting more expensive fast. We aren't even talking about all the time that will go into it. Unless you have access to some pretty fancy equipment, your looking at haveing to do all the inletting by hand. It's do-able but alot of work. Add to all this any screwup will haunt you forever at best or mean starting over.
 Richards micro fit and boyds have a ton of styles and wood/color combos for $150 or less and that's not even going to their bargain basement list of seconds. Unless you have designed something nobody sells, it just isn't worth it for the time, expense and risk.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »
How well are you set up for making a stock? The barrel channel is easier to do if power routed. I think most stocks require at least a 2 1/2" thickness for the beginning thickness.

Power tools are a great help when doing the inletting. I made 4 stocks 50 years ago without any power tools and they were a lot of work.

I replaced my original Savage 93 trigger ( first generation pre-Accu Trigger model) with a Basix Sear Kit that works great. The trigger is set on 12 oz. and is smooth as glass. The original trigger took a whole mule team to pull and was gritty. Basix makes some good replacement triggers for many other guns.

You can find an after market drop in replacement for your Marlin, if I am not wrong. I'm not sure of the trigger maker, though. The Net will tell you what's available.

I traded some knife work for my custom gun stock. Actually, the maker made me two stocks, one with a high gloss finish for showing off at the range and an identical one with an oil finish. His charges started at $350 for his stocks. From what I take, he's out of the stock business now.  :sad:

I won't hunt with an ugly gun. I prefer wood stocks. Some of my hunting pards are pretty ugly, though.  ;D

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline fuzztsimmers

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
putting in a rifle basic trigger in it. And i have access to a wood working shop. And the boyfriend has been working with wood for decades. So i think i should be able to do it. Also can get some decent deals in the wood department. So besides i really want something that is mine and semi unique.

What did you learn?

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »
Access to a wood shop makes all the differance here. When you said "good with wood" I figured a general carpenter or hobbyist at best. "Wood shop" invokes thoughts of serious hobbyist or cabinetmaker. Now we are talking a whole different skill level.
 With that extra info, I say go for it  O0 I remember you wanted to find a new hobby/interest and this just might be it.
 If you learn from the mistakes along the way, they are learning experiances.
 If you let the mistakes defeat you, then and only then, they are failures.

I can certainly understand your desire to learn this and make your own. Not unlike me trying to get into knifemaking. I can certainly buy a good knife for alot less than setting up with equipment and such, let alone all the scrap I'll make before I call it a knife. But the disire to create and the desire to learn over-ride all that.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 08:47:05 AM »
Access to a wood shop makes all the differance here. When you said "good with wood" I figured a general carpenter or hobbyist at best. "Wood shop" invokes thoughts of serious hobbyist or cabinetmaker. Now we are talking a whole different skill level.
 With that extra info, I say go for it  O0 I remember you wanted to find a new hobby/interest and this just might be it.
 If you learn from the mistakes along the way, they are learning experiances.
 If you let the mistakes defeat you, then and only then, they are failures.

I can certainly understand your desire to learn this and make your own. Not unlike me trying to get into knifemaking. I can certainly buy a good knife for alot less than setting up with equipment and such, let alone all the scrap I'll make before I call it a knife. But the disire to create and the desire to learn over-ride all that.
  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Facebook Comments