December 18, 2017, 05:17:30 PM

Author Topic: Elk Ribs  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
Elk Ribs
« on: October 18, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »
Got some elk ribs from a buddy of mine.

recipe

rub:
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs black pepper
1 tbs paprika
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tbs tyme

Slather rack of ribs with a heavy layer of prepared yellow mustard, rub on spice mixture, wrap tight with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.  preheat oven to 230 degrees, wrap rack of ribs tightly in tin foil pouch and bake for 4 hours.  carfully remove ribs from tin foil pouches slather with favorite bbq sauce and put on a HOT grill until the bbq sauce has been cooked onto the ribs.... I enjoy mine with some home made tater salad and green beans. 

Only dead fish swim with the current!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Elk Ribs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »
  O0 Wow, that looks good!

Too bad we don't have elk hunting in Iowa.  :'(
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:00:35 AM »
I may have to try that with some deer ribs.  O0

I generally cook deer ribs like you would cook a kidney........ boil the piss out of it!  ;D

I didn't used to save the ribs because I never could get them to taste very good, until a guy told me how to cook them.  Put them in a pot and bring to a boil.  Boil for about 5 minutes then drain the water off and put fresh water back in.  Bring to a boil again and boil for about 5 minutes.

Boil, drain, add fresh water about 3-4 times.  Deer fat tastes like crap!  By boiling, draining, and adding the fresh water you're boiling out all of the fat in/on the ribs.  O0

Once done, put in the smoker or on the grill and add bbq sauce.  Cook long enough for the sauce to caramelize.  It'll make your tongue slap your brains loose!  :D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 11:09:02 AM »
I'll be killing a deer tomorrow BC, i'll have to give that a try, i normally just cut the ribs up and smoke them for the dogs.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:16:22 AM »
I'll be killing a deer tomorrow BC, i'll have to give that a try, i normally just cut the ribs up and smoke them for the dogs.

You sound pretty confident about that.  You got one tied to a tree somewhere?  :?
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 12:26:52 PM »
i got access to some private property, wheat and barley fields, i hope to have a deer hanging and i'll be back in the marsh killing duckies by 10am!  I told the wife i wasn't coming home till i got one, so i aught to be home late sunday night! ;)

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 03:35:56 PM »
Nutz will let you into his petting zoo to hunt if you strike out :D :-P :twisted: :roll: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 06:34:55 AM »
I will have to try that cooking idea with my next roadkill.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments