November 20, 2017, 06:09:47 PM

Author Topic: Which?  (Read 1953 times)

BBF

Which?
« on: November 22, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »
Guys !!
 I need a shotgun !! I don't hunt with them but we do have a critter or two around here that may need fixing.
Price is paramount !!
 I've got two choices
1. Maverick 88 as a security model with a 18 1/2" barrel
2 Stevens 350. same type od barrel. That one comes with rifle sights or Ghost ring or nothing. Actually the rifle sight Model is on Sale right now and is the least expensive of all of them.
I'd prefer one  with a Bang In Mag but such a thing isn't available.

Let's hear it. The Missus is outta town for a few days and I like to "Surprise" her. ( cackle....evil grin !!)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Which?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:50:33 AM »
Buy both!  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:59:24 AM »
John: :roll: :roll:

What part of low cost didn't register with you ?? :wink:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:28:36 PM by BBF »

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 12:05:39 PM »
I know rhat the Maverick is a good deal, it is reall pretty much a Mossberg and I have used a  500 Mossberg since 1972. I bought a slug barrel for it in 73 or 74 and have killed over 30 whitetails with it. I couldn't tell if the Maverick has a bead or rifle sights. If you want to deer hunt with it the rifled sights would be better. I guess what I am trying to say is don't be afraid of the quality of the Maverick it would be a fine shotgun.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »
Remington 870 Express Super Magnum  O0 >:D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:02:30 AM »
John: :roll: :roll:

What part of lsw cost didn't register with you ?? :wink:
  ;D Buy the Stevens!
Remington 870 Express Super Magnum  O0 >:D
  O0 That would be my first chioce. Or, find one of the first generation Remington model 870 shotguns. Actually, I prefer the older model 870 because of the double slide levers, much smoother.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »
Done did it. I've read some not so good reviews on the Stevens and it appears it is made in China :tickedoff so I ordered the Maverick with the short barrel.

I may never need it, both dogs have disappeared again. The older one of the two is part beagle and she doesn't seem to get it that her butt is supposed to come when I call. The other one is only 8 1/2 weeks old( no beagle in him) and of course sticks with the dingbat. If the coyotes got them it will be the last dogs we get. This is getting "waaaay" to frustrtating and expensive.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 05:34:11 AM »
Yeah on that!

BBF

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 12:00:32 PM »
They came back, wet and dirty !! Tomorrow their "Mommy" is back and she can worry about it.
I did change my mind on the Maverick, I got the Stevens with rifle sights on Sale for 40 bucks off the regular price.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 06:53:11 AM »
They came back, wet and dirty !! Tomorrow their "Mommy" is back and she can worry about it.
I did change my mind on the Maverick, I got the Stevens with rifle sights on Sale for 40 bucks off the regular price.
Both are good news! Now, if you can just make squirrel dogs out of those two dogs,........................................... !  :wink:

Facebook Comments