December 13, 2017, 03:51:25 PM

Author Topic: Which direction  (Read 968 times)

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
Which direction
« on: November 25, 2003, 10:31:00 PM »
Is there any rule to go buy to find out which way deer travel? I've heard they travel with the sun to their backs ? True or not ? I know you can look at tracks but they arent always visable. Does the direction of the dirt kicked from a scrape tell you anything other than the way they we're facing when they made it?  what  about rubs? :?:  I found a whole string but cant tell if its the same buck or multiple ones.
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Which direction
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 08:58:20 AM »
I've heard that over the years too - but I've never been able to confirm anything like that.  I think it has more to do with food source relating to their bedding area and direction of the wind.  (of course all bets are off during the rut).  Just my thoughts - what about the rest of you guys/gals?

My guess is that the scrapes are the same buck.  Direction of the dirt...... I couldn't tell ya.  

What'cha think Big58Cal?
 :?:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Which direction
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 07:11:18 PM »
The side of the tree that the rub is on will generally give you the side of the tree they were on (ex: direction they were heading) when they made it.  If you found a bunch of rubs in a line, that's where you need to be hunting!!!  Rub lines are great to hunt :D   All that it basically means is that there is/was a buck, or two or three....., traveling that area.  Whether it's during the morning, afternoon, or night, who knows.  Generally, in the mornings, deer will be going away from the field or food source, back into the woods to their bedding area.  In the afternoon, it will be reversed.  They'll be heading toward the fields.

On the scrapes, there are usually two types, boundry and breeding.  Does will also make scrapes, but usually not as often as bucks will.  Make sure on the scrapes that there is a limb above it, probably about chest high.  The limb will probably be chewed up and broken a little.

I haven't heard about a deer walking with the sun at their back.  I've had deer come from different directions at different times during the day, so I would say that there may not be much truth to it.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline propredator

Which direction
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 09:14:19 PM »
I dont no about the sun deal but i do belive a mature whitetail will use his nose as much as they can normally,they either will move with the wind in their nose or a cross wind,except during the rut when the buckis on a hot doe.
 If i have a stand up along a trail or in a funnel and there isnt a scrap close i make my own,scrap the ground up under a low hanging branch and leave my own personal scent behind(i take a wiz in the scrap).
 with in a week there is always deer tracks in it.
 Pee is pee after a while and it all gives off ammonia smell,hot doe's will leave theirs behind and the bucks will start keeping a eye or nose on them also. :wink:

Facebook Comments