November 22, 2017, 08:32:53 PM

Author Topic: HI-point is alright.  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: HI-point is alright.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 08:29:47 AM »
Fyxt by the power of Christ.

Try again.....

From Hi Point's web site:

Barrel length: 4.5"
 Overall length: 7.75"
 Weight: 35 oz.
 Frame: High-impact polymer
 Finish: Black powder coat  with polished sides
 Capacity: 9-shot magazine
 Sights: 3-dots, fully-adjustable rear sight

All Hi-Point handguns feature:
 Polymer frame
 Durable, attractive easy-grip finish
 Last round lock open
 Quick on-off thumb safety
 Operations safety sheet
 +P rated
 Free extra rear peep sight
 Free trigger lock
 Lifetime warranty
 100% American-made, parts and assembly

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/handguns_45acp.html

Last time I checked, "polymer" was the same thing as "plastic".  ;)

Hence, the terms polymer and polymeric material encompass very large, broad classes of compounds, both natural and synthetic, with a wide variety of properties. Because of the extraordinary range of properties of polymeric materials,[6] they play an essential and ubiquitous roles in everyday life,[7] from those of familiar synthetic plastics and other materials of day-to-day work and home life, to the natural biopolymers that are fundamental to biological structure and function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »
I own a Hi-Point in the 380 and have shot prob 1000 rounds thru it in the past year or so. I have seen a few things about it that I would like different, but since the wifey bought it for me as an wedding day reminder ( you would think after 27 years I would remember) I can't really trade it ...yet.

I do not like that I can not break it down like a Ruger or a Colt. It is a tough gun to clean after shooting it. Also, I have only had cycling issues on ammo that are steel casing. It likes to Jam just about every 3 or 4 rounds with that ammo. It likes the higher FPS ammo than the cheaper slower type. I have gotten to where I can shoot a clip thru it and put them all in a group the size of a softball at 25 yrds.
it really is a great little starter gun for the price ( think she picked it up for less than $200) . Now the S & W Bodyguard in the  380... There is a piece of work. I have shot one and had issues with it and a friend bought one a couple weeks ago and has had issues with it too.     

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »
There's good and bad ones out there everywhere.  When Hi-Point first came out, they were cheap, but they had some really severe feeding/jamming issues.  Since that time, it sounds like they've worked a lot of the issues out.

As far as something just to plink with, I'd say they'd be OK.  But if I'm going to count on something to save my hide, I'd want to make dang certain that it wouldn't fail me when I needed it the most!  That's why the majority of my concealed carry guns are revolvers.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 05:11:13 AM »
You pretty much answered your own question JB. The fact the weapon is cheap is kinda' sorta' an indicator of the problems you may run into. If you're into the .380 as a caliber and you want to keep your wife happy, you'll use it as BC suggested and use it for plinking and general stuff like that. But the last thing you want when the ca-ca hits the fan is to have the weapon jam on you. That is something that could end up ruining your whole day :roll: :wink:

I'm not a fan of the .380 to be truthful. The only weapon I ever shot that was chambered for the .380 that I liked was the M-11. A submachine that was offered in that caliber. Even then the weapon could and would jam unless it was totally spotless. Not something you can stop and do in a firefight! :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink:

When it comes to defending you and your family, you need something you can count on 100% of the time. A good revolver in .38 or .357 would do nicely. :wink: O0

If you're set on a semi-auto, I'd splurge and get a Glock or Springfield Armory. These days those are pretty much the only handguns I carry off duty. They're worth the price and maybe you can find a used one at a gun show or pawn shop. They can really take a beating and still shoot well all day long. O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »
 O0 Better isten to bo! Your life or other's lives depends on what you carry, if you have to use it. We don't carry anything on and off duty that would be questionable.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments