November 20, 2017, 08:44:04 AM

Author Topic: I stepped in it now  (Read 4567 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: I stepped in it now
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »
Purists are a dime a dozen. Like you fellas more or less related, there are folks cussing and dissing every faction of archery hunting. It's not noteworthy by any means, just a way for the uninformed and inexperienced to rant.

Many previous bow hunters are forced to use crossbows due to disabilities. This alone is a big factor with the popularity of crossbows. Also, it is a very interesting weapon and clearly presentable for humanely taking game. Crossbows weren't popular through the ages because of being inferior to bows when it came down to warfare and hunting.

Most of us with enough wit to make fair comparisons of what works good do support crossbow hunting.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
Well I think my work there may be done. One more detractor raised his head above the berm. This guy openly admitted his reasons were selfish (in his own words) and he didn't want to share the woods with a bunch more nit-wit rifle hunters with crossbows ect. It should also be noted this guy is also a moderator over there and there is every possibility his coments were a devils advocate play to shame other detractors. My only comment was that had at least admitted he was being selfish and I can respect that he can admit it. Beyond that, there is no swaying such a mentality if it is real. Others have joined in with pointing out the drawbacks to useing a crossbow. Them folks are getting quite an education on the pro's and cons of xbows.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 02:00:27 PM »
I've hunted with one for 4 years now.  Last year being the first year that I had the methods exemption permit that allowed me to hunt with it during the entire archery season (screwed up shoulders and back). 

In 2009, I shot a doe on Oct. 1 when the season opened.  It was cool, but I didn't really "get into" it. 
2010 I went a few times, but didn't get anything.

2011 was when I got the big buck on Oct. 8th, which coincidentally was the weekend of the early Youth Gun Season.  The boy didn't want to go, so I decided to go and take the crossbow.

Last year after getting my doctor to sign off on the Methods Exemption permit, I got a doe on 9/1 when "Archery" season opened, an 8pt on 9/15, a doe on 10/13 (Youth Gun Season), and a big turkey on 11/17 (State-wide Gun Season), all with the crossbow.

After hunting with it as much as I did last year, I can tell you that a vertical bow is a whole lot easier!  The friggin' things are heavy!  My Excalibur Equinox, with 4 arrows in the quiver and the sling weighs (if I remember right) 10.75 lbs.  You try holding up 10 lbs with one arm for any length of time!  ::)   They're friggin' wide!  Granted, a recurve limb crossbow like I have is a little wider than a compound crossbow, but still, they're both wider than a vertical bow.  You have to clear out everything around you so that you won't hit anything with the bow and you have to remember that when you shoot, the limbs are going to spring forward, so you have to make sure they won't hit anything when that happens.  That's just hunting with one.  Walking in/out you've got to deal with the width of that thing on your back as you're trying to thread your way through the woods.  They're friggin' loud!  This is one of the toughest things that someone that is used to shooting a vertical bow has to get used to.  It is impossible to get a crossbow down to being as quiet as a vertical bow.  It's just not going to happen!  There's several things that you can do to quieten them down a little, but anyway that you go at it, they're still going to sound like you smacking a tree with a 2x4.  ;D   You've got 1 friggin' shot, PERIOD!  With a vertical bow, if you miss, a lot of times the deer doesn't know what happened because the bow is so quiet that they just stand there.  This let's the person get another arrow, reload, draw, and fire again.  With a crossbow, when you shoot, anything within a 1/4 mile is going to hear that bow go off.  Plus, to reload the thing, with most crossbows being 150+ lbs of draw weight, you've got get out your rope cocker, hook it on the string/bow, put you foot in the stirrup, stand up and draw the cocker to recock the bow, take the rope cocker off, get another arrow, put it on the deck, and then you're ready to fire again.  Between the initial noise of the bow going off and then all of the time/noise/movement that it takes to recock the bow, do you really think you'll get another shot?  ::)   Range estimation is more critical.  Due to the short power stroke of a crossbow vs. a vertical bow, the crossbow has to have a higher draw weight to achieve a comparable speed as the vertical bow.  Also, to keep from damaging the bow, even though the arrows for a crossbow are substantially shorter than a vertical bow, the weight must be about the same.  So you're shooting a short, heavy arrow out of a crossbow that has a short power stroke and a high draw weight.  As an example, my Equinox has a draw weight of 225 lbs and is shooting about 340 fps.  A comparable vertical compound bow, that speed can be reached with a 29" draw length shooting about 60-65 lbs of draw weight.  Because the crossbow has the short power stroke and the short heavy arrow, at longer distances the vertical flight starts to drop off quickly.  This isn't the case with a vertical bow.  The inertia of the arrow is held longer and the vertical drop isn't as drastic as seen with a crossbow.  If someone shoots at a deer that is 45 yds away, but estimates the yardage as 40 yds, with a vertical bow they will still more than likely hit the deer because the drop won't be as much.  With a crossbow, more than likely they'll miss.

The only advantage (that I can think of) that a crossbow has over a vertical bow is that it is already predrawn.  ::)   But honestly, with 65-70% let off on compounds now days, how much of an advantage is that really?  Let's take a 65 lb draw compound with 68% let off.  After the wheels break over you're holding 20.8 lbs at full draw.  75% let off = 16.25 lbs at full draw.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 04:14:04 AM »
The guy may have been playing devils advocate but Im totally convinced the ONLY reason why the compound *ussies are opposed to XBows is selfishness.

Ive got to be honest. One reason I dont hang around traditional archers that much is because THEY think the same way about the compound *ussies.

The F'n tent is big enough for ALL of us, but some gutless wonders just can't resist the temptation to play god.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

BBF

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »
All well and good with the low holding weight on a compound. the problem for us old guys is to GET to that point in the first place. Somewhere along the draw it will be  full 60lb or whatever that gizmo is set to..

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 11:24:31 PM »
Yea, that's true BBF. You need to hire an 18 year old weight lifter to draw it back for you, then he hands it to you! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sooner or Later someone will come up with some type of assisted draw for compounds. You know it's just a matter of time. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:26:22 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

BBF

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
When that happens the howling wil start anew. I used to be pretty good with a blowgun as a kid :wink:

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:50 PM »
alreadt been done. Parker makes a push button draw system powered by co2. push button to cock,push to de-cock.

http://www.parkerbows.com/crossbows.html?action=detail&detailsku=1109
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 09:12:34 AM »
When that happens the howling wil start anew. I used to be pretty good with a blowgun as a kid :wink:
  :wink: Was pretty windy, huh?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »
The thing I hate about most crossbows is how they have the quiver sit to one side or the other.  Even my Excalibur, the factory mount has it sitting to the side.  Luckily there were a couple of guys on the Excalibur site that were able to figure out how to balance the quiver in the middle of the bow and keep it out of the way, plus keep it from pulling one side of the bow or the other.  O0

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments