November 18, 2017, 04:28:00 PM

Author Topic: 11 days and counting  (Read 2208 times)

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
11 days and counting
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:32:37 AM »
Eleven days til our spring turkey season opens. I got lots of things piling up that may upset my plans. I'm going to hunt the daughters place, but her ex is hauling her to court opening week. He just got out of jail and is acting as his own attorney. You know what they say " A man that acts as his own atty has a fool for a client", nuff said there. Not knowing what all is going to happen there, kinda puts a wrinkle in my plan. Good thing the season is 3 weeks long. However work is shifting shifts so as to have people on the sales floor later in the evening. That means later start times which really helps open up the morning for hunting. We can only hunt til 1 pm. Then it's shroom hunting I guess.
 I don't have a decoy, nor does my son-in-law. He says he just sits out in the woods behind the barn with a call and here they come. I got a few mouth calls, so I guess that's the plan.
 A question on turkey hunting etiquette. Is it considered poor form to shoot a gobbler when not in full strut ? Or do I just confirm it has a beard and blast away ?
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: 11 days and counting
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »
I would suggest seeing if has a beard and if so, blast away.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 01:03:15 PM »
Depends who ya ask I say blast the damn thing who cares if its in full strut dead is dead
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »
....ain't no purest at The Pile.   ;D

I guess it all just depends on what you want from the hunt.   It may be cool to show some skill by getting in his head.....but like they said...... dead is dead and the strut doesn't translate well to the oven.   :D
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 07:28:44 AM »
Ya can't eat the strut.  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
Actually, it's best to shoot when they're NOT in full strut.  ;)   When they're strutting, they've got their neck pulled down in among the feathers on their back.  The feathers can stop/slow down a whole lot of pellets.

If the bird is in strut, cluck once, or make a putt or some other weird call to get the bird to break from the strut and stretch it's neck out and look.  THEN blast away!  O0   With the neck stretched out like that, you've got more of a chance of getting more pellets in the head/neck.  ;)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 10:14:12 PM »
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Hadn't considered the body feathers slowing the shot, but didn't really want shot in the usable meat either and head/neck tucked makes for a smaller target and alot closer to the meaty bits.
 Now the bit about making him stretch his neck had not occured to me. Should have tho. I've whistled to stop running deer dead in their tracks or hold a rabbit/squirrel. I see no reason it wouldn't work on old Tom.
 Without a decoy I might not even have him strutt. Will he even do that unless he thinks he has a hen to show off for ?
 I'm sure he"ll come in with his eyes peeled looking for a hen and I'll have my work cut out for me to get the shot without getting busted.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 11:06:51 PM »
Well the outlook just keeps getting worse. Newest grandson is in the hospital. Only 3 mos old tomarrow. Keep getting varying opinions. He has had spells of shaking that I only recently heard about. It started with the discovery of a swollen spot on his eyelid/brow about the size of a marble. Boo took him to UrgentCare and they saw the shaking. They strongly suggested he see a new primary care physician and a neuralogist. Next day he was at the docs and the doc saw the shaking for himself. Sent them straight off to the ER at a hospital with one of the best pediatrics wings in the area. They have run test after test and have yet to come up with anything conclusive. They think they found a heart murmur but even that seems hit and miss. They ran an MRI and chest x-rays, EEG, bloodwork ect and still no real answers. Now they want to keep him 2 more days to run a EEG for a full 36 hrs I think.
 I hadn't seen or heard about the shaking, which has been described as what sounds like epilepsy and I think it was only occasional. But now that 2 docs witnessed it in 2 days and I think more at the hospital, it must be getting more frequent and fast. Also he has developed another swollen spot on his leg.
 He was a high risk pregnancy because of a blood clot in Momma. It was mentioned that being the clot had disappeared, it might have passed to baby.
 Awful lot of test and no answers yet.
 Bottom line is Family first !! Old Tom may get a reprieve.
 Bare in mind Boo is now a single Mom and her Ex is more supportive than the boys real dad. If there was ever a time she needs family it's now.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 12:24:39 AM »
Hate to hear that about the baby.  Hope everything turns out OK.

As for the turkeys, I don't use decoys.  In nature, the hens are supposed to go to the gobblers.  By calling the tom to you, you're going against nature.  With some birds, as soon as they see a decoy, they lock up and won't come any further, expecting the hen to come to them.

But if they don't see a hen, they'll generally keep going in the direction they heard the hen until they find her.  ;)   Just because a tom can't see a hen doesn't mean that he won't strut.  I had one several years ago that took forever to get to me.  He was HOT!  I had that bird double gobbling at everything I threw at him.  When he was about 100 yds away, I put the call down and shut up and had the gun up.  The bird still kept coming in, gobbling, strutting, and looking for the hen that he had heard.  It took that bird probably 45 minutes to cover that 100 yds because of all of the strutting he was doing.  Just to piss him off, during the time, I hit a cluck or two on the mouth call just so he would know the hen was still there.

I started trying to shoot that bird at about 30-35 yds.  Trouble was that whenever he was in the open he was strutting.  When he would go behind a tree, he would break strut and look around.  Just as soon as he would start to come out from behind the tree, he would go back into a strut.  I think I finally shot that bird at less than 10 yds!  And then I was freaked out that I was going to miss because the shot column was going to be so tight.  I just couldn't get a shot at him when he wasn't strutting.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 12:48:15 AM »
Just keep tellin me about them hunts. Y'all have no idea how much I'm learning from these hunt stories. I never studied much on the matter. never thought I'd find myself turkey hunting. Just no interest in it. Having one meander past me at the daughters house and wanting some payback for all the frozen birds I've tossed out for the past 11 thanksgivings has lit something inside me. I now have a short time to learn and apply what I think I know. Heck the only reason I even have mouth calls is they were just about giving them away on clearance after season and they really annoy the breadwinner.
 Marriage is about finding that special someone you can annoy the rest of your life  :twisted:

Facebook Comments