November 19, 2017, 01:29:51 AM

Author Topic: Change of Plans  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Change of Plans
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
Got the boy's 20 gauge sighted in and patterned tonight.  Had 4 different shells to put through it and try, some Federal, Winchester, Kent, and Hevi-Shot.

Where I've got the stock shortened down to fit the boy, the first shot, my thumb came back and like to broke my freaking nose!  :o   Subsequent shots, I made sure and didn't wrap my thumb around the stock.  ;)

So what'cha think?  Think this would be a dead turkey?  ;D   This was with the Hevi-Shot.  It's just a tad high, but I'll take it.  ;)   I counted 37 pellets in the vitals on it.  That should be good enough. ;) ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »
 O0 :twisted: Dead turkey every time, BC!

Yep, those M1 noses hurt! Some folks don't know what that is, but I sure do.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »
Well, the boy and I were finally able to get out yesterday (Sunday).  It poured rain Saturday night down there, but by the time we left the cabin it had cleared off.  Throughout the morning though, it would cloud up and sprinkle for a minute or two, but that was about it.

We started out behind the house down on the farm.  Worked our way across the majority of the farm, sitting up and calling from time to time, but never had anything answer us and never saw anything.  :'(   Finally around 9:00 we were headed back to the 4 wheeler and were out in the open climbing up a hill when I heard a gobble over across the road on our other land (wouldn't you know it  ::)  ).  I couldn't tell exactly where it came from, so we kept listening and I heard it again and was able to pinpoint it and had a pretty good idea where the bird was.  Mason was wanting me to call to see if the bird would gobble again, so I grabbed the loudest call I had and started cranking on it.  A bird started gobbling, but this was a different one, further on back, and this one was HOT!  O0   He just kept hammering!  I had a pretty good idea where that one was, so we hoofed it on up the hill to the 4 wheeler and came down to try to get across the flooded creek to get over to the property.  It was a little hairy getting across the creek, but we made it and slowly and as quietly as possible, took the 4 wheeler up to the top of the hill and turned it off. 

When we got up to the top of the hill Mason said that he had heard a shot go off.  :?   For him to have heard it over the top of the engine noise, it had to have been pretty close and/or pointed in our direction.  I asked him which direction he had heard it.  He pointed in the direction of where that 2nd bird had been gobbling.  :x :tickedoff   I figured someone must have been working that bird for him to have been hammering as hard as he was, but I was still hoping to had gotten in between him and whoever it was and cut him off so Mason could have gotten a shot.  Oh well, there was still the first bird we heard and he was closer to where we currently were anyway.

We sat there on the 4 wheeler for a little while to let everything kind of calm down a little, and then I let out a few yelps.  The bird gobbled back almost immediately from within about 100 yds!  :o   Both of us bailed off the 4 wheeler and went down the hill as fast and quietly as possible to set up on a little point.  I knew where the bird was and showed Mason where he would come from.  I threw everything I had at that bird, but that 1 gobble was all I ever got out of him.  :x   Clucks, yelps, purrs, whines, cackles, cuts, you name it!  Nothing worked!  After a quite a while, we got up and moved back up onto the road to go down to the point the bird had been on and then started walking the point out.  Walked down it a little piece and set up again.  Still nothing.  Got out the binoculars and started glassing ahead as we slipped on down the point to the property line and where the woods ended at a field.  No birds anywhere.  :x

I've got a feeling that that was an old bird that had a bunch of hens with him.  In nature, the hens go to the gobbler.  A male, when he hears a hen, will usually gobble once to let the hen know where to come to.  By trying to call the male to us, we're going against nature.  With younger birds, it's pretty easy to do because they haven't been around long enough to know that the hens are supposed to come to them.  Older birds know it though.

I told Mason that that bird was probably going to be tough to kill.  He said, "Well, why don't we both shoot at the same time at it?"  ;D   "No buddy, not that kind of tough to kill.  I mean he's going to be hard to hunt and get a shot at."

By that time it was 11:30 and we needed to be cutting out.  Mason wanted to keep hunting that bird, but I had told the wife that we were going to try to cut out of there by 12:00 and I knew if I didn't she would start worrying and I'd have to listen to her later.  ::)

The season is still in this next weekend.  Mason doesn't have school Friday, so I think I'm going to try to take the day off and we're going to head back down there and see if we can't get a shot at that bird.  That old bugger may be tough to kill, but I know he's there now, I know where he's using, and more importantly, I know what the turkeys do and where they go when they're using right there / following that pattern.  O0

Here's the only picture I took yesterday.  The boy turkey hunting.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:42:55 PM »
Looks like hes got the bug!! O0 O0

Keep at it! You'll get 'em!! O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »
Looks like hes got the bug!! O0 O0

Keep at it! You'll get 'em!! O0 O0 O0

Oh, you have no idea.  ::)   He didn't want to leave Sunday.  He was really wanting to keep going and keep after that bird.  He was asking me where I thought the bird went and I actually had to lie to him and tell him that I didn't know.  :|   I knew where the bird went and where he was headed.  ;)   But I had to get the boy back up here, so we had to cut out of there.  The last thing I needed or wanted was a mad momma after me.  :o

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 10:57:18 PM »
Well, looks like this season was a bust.  :x   The boy was out of school Friday because of the KY Oaks.  The Oaks runs on Friday and is generally considered KY's day at The Downs, whereas Saturday is the Derby and everybody and their brother comes in from out of town.  So anyway, the area pretty much shuts down on Friday.  ;D   Being as it was, I decided to take off work on Friday and the 2 of us go turkey hunting.  With the birds just now starting to gobble like they should down there at the farm, it should be pretty good.  O0

Since the bird had given us the slip over across the road the previous week, we headed out over there to start with, but headed up to the bench where I normally hunt.  I was hoping that there would be some birds roosted up on the ridge that would come down to us.  Not happening.  :x

We sat in my little blind until about 8:30 (with the boy taking a nap   ;) ),  and nothing happening.  So we slipped down to the flat where I figured that turkey from last weekend was headed.  Sat there for about 1.5 hours and nothing.  This whole time, we're hearing birds gobbling, just none on our land.  :x   We heard 7-8 gobblers hammering around us, but none were on our land.  There were a couple over on the WMA land behind our land behind the house, so we finally decided to see if one of those wanted to come and play.  ;)

Went over there there and set up about 10:30 or so, hoping that any hens that he had with him would have went to the nest and he would have been looking for love.  No business.  We sat for about 45 minutes, but never heard a gobble or never had anything show up.  :'(

It wasn't a total loss though.  I had gotten the boy a push button call to use.  They don's make the best sound in the world, but they're easy to use.  During the times out, I had been teaching him how to use a paddle or box call.  Honestly, he had gotten pretty good with it.  Clucks, yelps, and purrs, weren't a problem for him.  He needed to work on his timing and cadence, but that was to be expected.  But still, for an 11 year old just picking one up, he was doing good.  Since I do 99.9% of my calling with a pot call, I figured he wanted to learn that one.  ;)   I started showing him on one, but it's not a call that you automatically pick up.  ;D   So needless to say, he needs quite a bit of practice on it.  ;)   He still needs to learn the hand position and how to hold the striker a little better but it's all part of the learning process.  O0

Neither of us got a bird this year, but I guess that's OK.  I'm not too worried about not getting one myself, but I really wanted to try to call one in for Mason.  :'(   I threw every seductive call I had at those birds, trying to get them to come to us.  I even tried 5 different sounding calls.  I've had them gobble at 1 particular call in the past and not others, so I make sure and carry several calls with me.  Nothing seemed to work.  Guess I'll just have to chalk this year up to a bad year.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 06:59:53 AM »
  O0 Well, you gave it more than just a good try, BC!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
Between the quality time spent with the boy and the things he learned without the distraction of those nasty birds are priceless and not a bad year at all  O0
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 11:30:58 PM »
Between the quality time spent with the boy and the things he learned without the distraction of those nasty birds are priceless and not a bad year at all  O0

I'd have rather had the distraction of one of those nasty birds somewhere along the way.  ;D   We both could get 2 you know.  ;D   We already had it planned out too.  If more than 1 showed up, we were both going to shoot 1 and coordinate our shots at the same time.  ;)

We had a good time, but I would have still rather him get a bird.  I said something to him about leaving some time or another and asked him what he wanted to do.  He said that he just wanted to get a turkey.  :|

He and I only went out twice, but we gave it a heck of an effort during the time that we were out.  We tried multiple set ups and chased the birds around.  We heard several and at least now, the boy knows what to listen for and knows how to start picking a turkey gobble out from all of the "noise" going on around the area. 

Guess we'll just have to see what next year holds.  :)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments