November 17, 2017, 02:14:02 PM

Author Topic: Round one: Turkeys 1/ Mo 0  (Read 3657 times)

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Round one: Turkeys 1/ Mo 0
« on: April 17, 2013, 11:50:55 PM »
I had a great day afield, but alas no bird in hand. It's downright amazing how a morning afield can brighten the rest of your day.
 The day got off to a bad start. Got up at 4 am at the son-in-laws by 5:30. It was overcast, misty, foggy and a bit chilly. He left his boots in the bed of his truck and was running a blowdrier in them to dry them out before he put them on. that got us on the road a little later than planned. We got to the lease and started to unload. I grabbed my trusty 12 ga and reached for shells. They were yellow !! damn I got a 12ga shotgun and 20ga shells. Son-in-law bailed me out. He said he's killed a hundred birds, I should take his gun and shells and he's gonna call. Now we ride the 4 wheeler down to a sport near a food plot. Dang it, there's 2 hens in the corner of the plot and they are looking right at us. Busted. Heard 2 more fly down about 20 yds to our left. Finally got positioned and nobody wanted to come out and play or even talk about it. After2 sets, we moved yet again. Now we head down a field road toward another food plot. 100 yrds away, right in the middle of the road, there are 2 deer feeding. I fully realize that if we spook them they will flag and run, taking any and all turkeys with them. Turkeys probably won,t stick around to see what scared the deer, they'll vacate post haste as well. Now we wait for them to move off to the woods and we began a slow but not too quiet approach, hoping they will just meander away from us. Seemed to work OK, but can't prove it, still no birds. Finally we set up on the last stand we had time for. He called and Lo and behold a gobble !! I'm guessing maybe 100yds out. wait...wait...wait... call again. Another gobble, this time maybe 75 yds. At this point I get the gun leveled off and ready to minimize movement in the critical moments. Wait...wait...wait.. one more short call. Another gobble... back to 100 yds out. Now it's time to P on the fire and call in the dogs. I have to get home and ready for work. Driving back to my car, he gets a call. His buddy wants him to come hunt and do some 'shrooming. He dropped me off, I wished him luck, kill a bird now that you're shed of you're bad luck charm LOL. An hour and a half later, I'm at home and the phone rings, guess what... He got his bird !! The sun came out and the birds got real co-operative and talkative.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Round one: Turkeys 1/ Mo 0
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:19:32 AM »
 :shock: Bum luck, MO! You might as well have slept in!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »
That's why they call it hunting!

We've all had those days. :'( :'( :shock: :shock:

Nutz has them everytime he goes out!! ;D :roll: :wink:

At least you got out and saw some feathers! O0 O0 O0 O0

I haven't had a chance to go yet. The freaking Final 4 kept me busy and then I needed some sleep! :'( :'( :'(

Haven't had a chance to take some of the wounded vets yet. Between the POS-POTUS trying to disarm the citizens and this da** bombing in Boston, They think it could happen here! Who would notice? Or care?

I'm working like a slave. I forgot what sleep is, I'm so busy.

Make matters worse, Taylor Swift is in town for a concert tonight and tomorrow and the show just let out with a million teenie bopper girls and their moms running around and being retarded.
Nights like these I thank the Mighty Odin, I don't have any family. Its just too much for a mere mortal to endure!!

Hang in there. You know the birds are there, and all you have to do is keep going, and you'll get you one before you know it. O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:17 AM »
Oh yeah, I'll go again. Even with the "bad" luck, I was in a great mood the rest of the day and night. A great hunt does not have to mean a full game bag.

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »
A bad day in the woods beats a good day at work.  O0

Keep at it, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.  ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:46:54 PM »
Round 2 didn't go any better. why is it weather is nice the day before and the day after I hunt, but on that day all heck breaks loose ? Got in position way early this time, with the proper shells and gun as well. Weather ? well it sucked. Cold, windy, light rain and....SNOW !!! That's right , I said the "S" word, at the end of April. It didn't accumulate but as you looked out against a darker background it looked like a freaking blizzard.
 It's starting to look like someone upstairs either wants me to work hard for that first turkey or doesn't want me to do it at all. I'm going a bit deaf, so I'm not getting the message real clear. I'll try again next week, if things work out.
 Darnedest thing is we actually got on some birds. We walked right up on them and we didn't see them, they didn't see us until we were 20 yds apart. We dropped straight to the ground ( hidden by a slight knoll) and they didn't spook. After a few mins we started calling. they started calling back and a hen came to investigate. We had been caught in the open, but fully camo'ed. She walked to within 10 yds, turned and walked back. Then she putted. Figuring we were screwed anyway, SIL putted back. Never thought this would work. here we sat for 3 mins or so putting back and forth and the never flushed. Finally a Jake or bearded hen came to check it out. Stub of a beard, but a beard non-the-less. I put a bead on the center of the neck and fired. Feathers flew and so did the birds. Guess he found a hole in all those pellets.
 The birds were really tight lipped. The only gobble we heard came from a pinned domestic that the landowner has up at the house.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 08:10:34 AM »
 :shock: :sad: Dang! Close, but no cigar, MO!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »
This is going to sound like a stupid question Mo, but you do have a turkey choke in your gun and you have patterned it, right?  :?   It took me several different choke and shell combinations before I finally found one that I was happy with that threw a nice even pattern with no holes in it.

Usually in lousy weather like that, the birds are pretty tight lipped.  There are exceptions though.  That picture I posted of Mason and I with the jake, the morning I got shot it, it was cold, windy, and spitting rain off and on.  But even through all of that, I had a group of 5 jakes answer my calls and come to me.  That's about the only time I've had anything answer me in crappy weather though.  The birds are still out there, but most of the time, you have to do like you did and ambush them.

Mason and I are going this weekend.  The only question is "when".  He was wanting to go tomorrow morning, but I saw on the weather this morning where they're calling for rain all day tomorrow, mainly south of Louisville (where we'll be at).  The rain is moving out Saturday evening/night.  Sunday morning is supposed to be bright and sunny, but then rain is supposed to move back in in the late afternoon.  I was telling him that Sunday morning would be the better time to go, since we would be able to move around from spot to spot, his call would work (his push button call won't work in the rain), we wouldn't be cold and wet, and the main thing, the birds would be more active without it raining.  He still said something about going in the rain.  ::)   I told him, "Trust me boy, daddy has been there, done that.  There ain't much that's worse than being cold and wet.  If you can keep from it, you don't want to do it."  ;)   I told him to think on it today.  Then I guess tonight I'm going to TELL him that we're going Sunday morning.  ;D   I'm still getting over a pretty mean case of bronchitis.  The last thing I need is to get out in the rain and get cold.  ::)   I've got his shotgun patterned and ready to go and he'll be the one shooting.  I'll just be calling.  If we do happen to call in more than one bird though, since you can only take 1 bird per day, I'm going to have to let my 12 gauge roar since I haven't filled a tag yet of course.  ;) ;D

Keep at it Mo!  O0   I've hunted turkeys in just about every weather imaginable.  ::)   90 degree heat waves on down into the 20's with the wind howling and snow on the ground.  Snow storms, rain storms, you name it.  I've fought ticks, mosquitos, no-see-ums, and other assorted bugs and critters.  It's just all part of the game.  O0   I started turkey hunting when I was 15 (1985).  Back then, there weren't many birds in KY.  I hunted off and on through the years, but didn't get serious about it until I was in college, probably sometime around 1990-1991.  After that, I hunted about every year I believe, but I didn't get my first bird until 2002.  :o   Now, you want to talk about it taking a long time to get your first bird?  I don't want to hear it!!!!!  :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff   Spoiled hunters now days!   :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff

;D ;D ;D

But I was on my own and didn't have anyone to show me.  I had to learn everything myself the hard way most of the time, by trial and error, and by watching and listening to the turkeys.

Hopefully, it won't take you as long as it did me to get the monkey off your back, but just be patient.  The more time you spend out there after them, the more you're putting the odds in your favor of bringing one home.  ;)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Not a stupid question at all. No turkey choke, not patterned in a long time. I had to buy a new box of shells because I couldn't find the ones I had. Walley World only had one box of 12 ga. in any flavor. Luckily they were 2 3/4 #5 shot. I never shot #5 at any time. Bought them the night before the second hunt.  So there was no time to pattern them. The choke tube was another problem. The house has been reshuffled to accommodate kids moving back with us and then out again ect and my "room" has been over stuffed with crap that don't belong there. Until it gets emptied out I have no idea where to look for my choke tubes. I was stuck with the IC tube that is currently in the gun. Money is tight and I didn't want to invest in a special purpose tube if I didn't have to.  A turkey choke is on my list of must haves for next year. That's right, I've decided this is fun enough I'm gonna do it again next year. Maybe turkey chokes will go on clearance after season. That how I got my mouth calls. I think these calls are too big for me. Gonna get more so I can cut these down and not screw up my only ones. Decoys are on the list as well. Ex-SIL works at BassPro and with his discount I can get them pretty cheap. I'definately going to have to spend a little money before next year.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 02:26:38 PM »
No offense man, but if you're using an improved cylinder choke, you should probably borrow your ex-SIL's gun.  That's going to throw way too wide of a pattern to do any good.  Even though you're shooting a shotgun, you're essentially aiming like you would with a rifle.  You want a concentration of the pellets in the head/neck area where you're aiming.

With Mason's little 20 gauge at 20 yards this was the concentration of his pellets:

In the neck bones and brain, I counted 37 hits.  The main thing is though, with that main concentration, there aren't any big gaps in it where a bird can escape unscathed.  With one of the other loads I tested, there was.  That automatically knocked it out of the running for me.

Also, Mason's gun normally shoots a little high anyway.  With the turkey loads it was shooting even higher and just a touch to the right.  Without having shot it prior though, I wouldn't have known it.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments