November 17, 2017, 09:28:07 PM

Author Topic: I'm going to try the 22/250 again this time for antelope  (Read 994 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
I'm going to try the 22/250 again this time for antelope
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »
A few years ago I tried my 22/250 on a BIG mule deer, was NOT impressed. I used a Barnes 45 gr going very fast, shot very good just didn't knock him down very well. He didn't run off but I had to shoot him a "FEW" times. Long story , short, I decided not to do that any more.
 NOW I have the bug again, I finally got a Antelope tag and I'm going to try my 22/250 again...This time I'm going to use my load I worked up for "WOLF". It's a Nosler partition 60 gr spritzer,33.5 gr Varget. I've clocked at 3500 fps average with only a 20 fps variance. Off my sticks at 100 yards ,if I'm doing my job ,will basically go in the same hole. I hope it's not going to be a repeat , I really want the lope to only take one shot. Think I'll be disappointed again?
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: I'm going to try the 22/250 again this time for antelope
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:21 AM »
  O0 I don't think you would be disappointed using that rifle for antelope, D. Mulies, yeah, a tad light for that.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: I'm going to try the 22/250 again this time for antelope
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »
No, don't think you will be disappointed at all.

One of the two men that I learned the most from about deer hunting when I was young, used only a .22-250 with factory loads. 55 grains as I recall. In his life I'm guessing he killed close to 100 deer with it in Georgia and Alabama.

The whitetail bucks around here are between 145-175 on average, depending on diet. Most of his shots were under 200 yards, but I recall him making a few out to about 250 yards and in every case, they were one shot kills. Usually through the heart, but his Model 700 with his Leupold 3X9 was a tack driver and I saw several of his shots into the neck that didn't exit, but still killed them dead as a doornail.

I've only hunted antelope once, so I'm far from Jack O'Connor on the topic, but to me they aren't any harder to kill than Georgia whitetails.

With your hand loaded Nosler partition, I think you'll do fine.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments