December 18, 2017, 01:52:44 AM

Author Topic: lets talk trad bows  (Read 1447 times)

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
lets talk trad bows
« on: August 01, 2013, 01:38:42 AM »
While I watch for the compound bow I want to show up for sale somewhere, I've been entertaining the thought of a traditional recurve. Man them things can be pricey. I had limited exposure to them before I was introduced to compounds and know just enough to stay with a name I recognize and trust. I am familiar with Black Widow due to the man that got me interested in archery as a young teen was a hobby level competiton shooter and his prize bow was a Black Widow he acquired in the early 70's. They are way too pricey for me at this time. The next bow that comes to mind is the Bear Kodiak. There is a name that's been around longer than I have. The prices are all over, but for the most part, not out of reach.
 I've seen the Kodiaks and Kodiak Magnums in a range from 44 inches long to 60+ inches long. What difference does the length make, other than the obvious maneuverability in the woods ?
 Many of the bows are shown unstrung and probably need a string. Is the string length and/or brace height marked on the bow or do I have to do my own research ?
 I'm sure I'll have more questions as the conversation progresses.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: lets talk trad bows
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:11 AM »
Yes, you have to know the bow length to buy the proper string.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »
I get that. But the question is how do you decide the string length, knowing only the bow length ?
 I got research to do, I guess.

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:23:59 PM »
Hey Mo. I only shoot Trad and have for many moons. I did invest in a Black Widow, killed a few with it, and BC made me leave it to him in my will! LOL!! :twisted: :roll: :wink:

I also have a Kodiak Magnum and Martin Mamba. When you see the poundage, that is simply what the bow is rated for and the draw is considered by limb length and strength of design at full draw.

I'm only 5' 9" as evidenced by BC always calling me little man! That should be LARGE Little Man. :twisted: :roll: :wink:

Anywho.....Consider what YOUR normal draw length would be for someone your height and reach. Most find that it's between 30"-33".

When I shot a compound bow I preferred the longer draw because I could hold the string longer. With a Trad bow, you must learn to shoot with instinct as opposed to holding the draw for a long time as you would with a compound.

I first SEE my target and then SIGHT it before drawing. I keep my eye on the target as I draw and when the string gets to my lower right chin, I might hold for a micro-second and then release. Fred Bear would draw until it touched his cheek and then let loose.

I don't draw my bow back quite that far.

The Bear Kodiak is a great bow and is well worth the money and comes in a variety of draw weights. Most states (except Georgia) have a minimum of weight that the bow can draw before it is legal for deer. IMHO-45 pounds at full draw should be about minimum.

The great thing about recurves is that you can shoot aluminum arrows if you want. Vane or fletching is up to you. Fletching is more accurate IMHO, but vanes are tougher and last longer in bad weather.

I do all my hunting with Magnus broadheads, between 100-125 grains. I prefer the two blades, and have yet to lose a deer.

You can find some good buys on recurves at pawn shops and of course at places like Cabelas and Bass Pro and Gander Mountain.

My personal favorite is a place called 3 Rivers. They only do traditional stuff and they have dvds and books on traditional stuff out the ying-yang.

Become the Arrow by Byron Ferguson is one of my favorites. The website for the 3 Rivers is
www.3riversarchery.com.

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »
Thanks for the info Bo. I have been looking around at used recurves on the list and fleabay. Haven,t
looked at the pawns. Been awhile since I been to one, but I don't recall seeing any trad bows. Very few around here still shoot them.
 45 lbs is about where I want to be. Been reading a bit and it seems that is a highly recommended weight. Lots of warnings about getting caught up in the more is better race, resulting in a bow that's too tiresome to shoot long hrs of practice.
 I forgot about 3 Rivers. I had discovered them when I was looking into making a self bow. That might still happen. If so it will be from a tree I fell myself.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 10:27:58 PM »
No problem. eBay has had some pretty good buys and some good equipment. But I quit buying from them a long time ago when they wanted me to give them my checking account number or an active credit card. I even called them out in San Diego and got some idiot with an IQ of soap, who didn't see anything wrong with giving eBay your personal information.

eBay sells their own gift cards, but still say they require an active credit card or your bank account. So I told the little twat to get stuffed and hung up on her.

I only use Amazon, Bass Pro and Cabelas cards these days. None of those places require such personal info as the buttplugs at eBay.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 09:08:29 AM »
  O0 Yeah on NOT giving out account numbers, bo!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments