November 19, 2017, 12:41:13 PM

Author Topic: Granddaughter needs a bow ,HELP!  (Read 2629 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Granddaughter needs a bow ,HELP!
« on: August 13, 2013, 06:12:45 PM »
I don't bow hunt. I have never shot a bow. Never had any interest in a bow. She asked me, Papa, What should I get? I DON'T KNOW $HIT. It sounds like she just wants it to shoot targets??? She has here hart set on a recurve NOT a compound, for what ever reason. She is 15 , 5 foot 2" maybe 95 pounds long arms and all legs. She is also quite accomplished shooter, not as much a hunter, but loves to shoot.
From what I have researched it looks like she needs some thing like a 54" 20 pound bow and a 24" draw. Sound about right? If you have ANY suggestions or recommendations PLEASE let me know.   :shock:

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Granddaughter needs a bow ,HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »
Well I have been doing a little research on traditional bows. The draw weight is measured at 28 inches. You loose 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds for every inch above or below that, within a range of about 25 to 31 inches. Keep that in mind when picking a draw weight. This is all based on what I've read here   http://www.bowhunter.com/how-to-buy-a-new-traditional-bow.html
 Bow length sounds about right. How did you arrive at the draw length ? It can be measured with an actual bow and arrow, but the method seems a bit odd. It has to do with measureing to a point about 1 3/4 inch in front of the web of the hand holding the bow. Another method that I have less faith in is often refered to as the wingspan measurement. Measure armspan from finger tip to finger tip and divide by 2.5. This does not account for how much of the wingspan is shoulder and how much is arm. It came up over an inch off for me.
 Sunday I spoke with a bowsmith regarding a compound that is a little offbeat from the common wheel bow. He gave me a method that, to me made more sense, and worked out to what I thought my draw length should be. He suggested using an arrow but I opted for a tape measure. Place the tape measure (arrow) at the small of the neck and extend you arms straight forward and clamp the tape with open hands. Where your middle finger tips meet, is your draw length.
 As far as suggestions, I'm kinda at a loss. I am prone to stay with a well known Brand/Model. That being said, there is a cheaper priced foreign made bow out there called Samick. They are starting to get some  decent reviews. Of course, there are some bad ones likely due to being relatively new to the market, foreign made, and affordably priced. Not knowing if she is going to really stay with it, that might be a good choice. You can always upgrade later when she wants more weight for a faster flight.
 Speaking of faster flight, at 20# the arc is going to be horrendous and range estimation critical. This is where a compound starts to shine. For the same draw weight you get faster arrow flight and don't have to hold as much weight at your anchor point. There are a lot of youth compound bows with a huge range of adjustment in both draw length and weight. I don't know much more about them, except that the exist. Not sure if you have to change limbs at some point to increase the length and weight, wheither these parts (if needed) come with the original bow or not. These are questions to ask if you decide to look into it.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »
Well said Mo! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 01:28:23 PM »
Check into the Mathews Genesis bows D.  They're compounds, but they don't really have a "let-off" like a normal compound.  They're great for beginning and intermediate archers, and are the preferred bows for Archery In The Schools Program.

The bows are designed to not have a let-off so that kids of any size can draw them and it be at a constant draw weight, no matter the draw length.  You can get the bows in different colors and draw weights, as well as now they're making different "types" of Genesis bows (check out the 2nd link).  My brother-in-law started his daughter out with a Walmart special just to make sure that she would stick with archery once she said she wanted a bow, but once she went wild about it, he bought her a Genesis (from my recommendation).  She loves the thing!

http://mathewsinc.com/product/genesis/

http://www.genesisbow.com/

http://nasparchery.com/activea.asp

http://mathewsinc.com/why-mathews/nasp/

BTW, if anyone is interested, the Archery In The Schools Program was started in KY.  O0   Kinda' says something about us good 'ol hairy leg'ed KY boys.  ;)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 05:16:56 PM »
BTW, if anyone is interested, the Archery In The Schools Program was started in KY.  O0   Kinda' says something about us good 'ol hairy leg'ed KY boys.  ;)

It's not the boys I'm concerned about, it the hairy legged women  :shock:
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »
It's not the boys I'm concerned about, it the hairy legged women  :shock:
  :shock: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments