December 13, 2017, 03:53:11 PM

Author Topic: Death match: Eagle takes down deer  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Death match: Eagle takes down deer
« on: September 24, 2013, 07:36:46 PM »
From FoxNews:  full story: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/09/24/death-match-eagle-takes-down-deer/

A seemingly unlikely battle between a golden eagle and a baby deer was photographed by a camera trap set up to capture poachers seeking Russia’s endangered tigers.

The three images captured by the camera cover a 2-second period, and show an adult golden eagle clinging to the deer's back. Its carcass was found two weeks later, just a few yards from the camera, initially puzzling researchers.

'I couldn't believe what I was seeing.'

- Linda Kerley of the Zoological Society of London

The paper and images appear in the September issue of the Journal of Raptor Research. Authors include Linda Kerley of the Zoological Society of London and Jonathan Slaght of the Wildlife Conservation Society.

"I saw the deer carcass first as I approached the trap on a routine check to switch out memory cards and change batteries, but something felt wrong about it. There were no large carnivore tracks in the snow, and it looked like the deer had been running and then just stopped and died." said lead author Kerley, who runs the camera trap project. "It was only after we got back to camp that I checked the images from the camera and pieced everything together. I couldn't believe what I was seeing."

Slaght noted that golden eagles have a long history of eyebrow-raising predation attempts.

Full Story:
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/09/24/death-match-eagle-takes-down-deer/
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Death match: Eagle takes down deer
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »
Yeah, I saw that today also.  Thought it was pretty cool.  O0   Pretty soon "some" bowhunters will want to put a bounty on Golden Eagles because they are too efficient in what they do and are decimating the deer population.  ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:20:24 PM »
Don't laugh. Some of these dildo brains in Georgia would put a bounty on eagles, hawks, owls, earthworms, bream, sunlight, Reader's Digest, Kindergarten and Swiss cheese.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »
Yeah, I saw that today also.  Thought it was pretty cool.  O0   Pretty soon "some" bowhunters will want to put a bounty on Golden Eagles because they are too efficient in what they do and are decimating the deer population.  ;D
  ;D Yeah on that, bo!

That's relly something, eagles taking down deer!  :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 01:19:21 AM »
didn't we have a vid here at one time where they were hunting deer with eagles ? The Eagle in the vid was a lot bigger than a Golden, but this pic is impressive none the less.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:02:57 AM »
Yes, I remember that video.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments