November 18, 2017, 12:39:44 PM

Author Topic: Friggin' Murphy!  (Read 935 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Friggin' Murphy!
« on: September 06, 2013, 01:30:10 PM »
Well, last year on opening day we had the remnants of a hurricane making its way up through the state, pushing a SE breeze, the worst wind I needed for the stand I was going to hunt that day.  I went ahead and said Screw It, doused everything down with scent killer and hunted the spot anyway.  Ended up shooting a doe not too long after daylight.

Well this year I'm going to be hunting a different spot tomorrow morning (opening day).  I'm a little more flexible with the wind this year.  About the only wind that would really screw me would be an East wind, but a SE or a NE is really pushing it.  Looked this morning on the Weather Channel app on my phone and sure enough, there's supposed to be an E & SE wind in the morning.   :tickedoff   Later on in the morning (around 10:00 or so) it's going to be switching around to the S & SW which is OK.

We've got some pretty good bucks coming into that stand, so I doubt I'll chance it in the morning.  Guess I'll be hiking the ridge over at another spot.

CRAP!  I was really looking forward to hitting that spot opening morning!  :x   But I would rather stay out of there rather than contaminate it given what I've seen up there.  ;)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Friggin' Murphy!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:25:06 AM »
Good call and Good Luck O0
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 09:13:11 AM »
Good luck, BC! If you didn't plan on hunting the wind would be perfect.  :tickedoff
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:13:51 PM »
Well, as luck would have it, Mother Nature kicked old Murphy's butt to the curb.  ;D

Kept checking the Weather Channel app throughout the day periodically and they kept backing it up earlier and earlier as to when the wind was going to switching to out of the S & SW.  Got down there Saturday morning around 5:30 and had a good consistent SW wind. O0   Not that it helped much though mind you!

Hunted until about 11:00 and had only seen 2 does, one of them a big old nanny!  :o   Got down and went around and changed all of the cards in the cameras.  Got back up in the stand about 1:30 and sat until dark.  Saw those 2 does again but that was it.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »
Patience, Grass Hopper! If you hunt them. They will come! :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments