November 23, 2017, 05:19:33 PM

Author Topic: Opening Weekend Success!  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Opening Weekend Success!
« on: September 09, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »
Well, it wasn't one of the bucks I was after, but it is fresh meat!  >:D

Kinda' like them 2 old buzzards say.....

I thought the wind was going to be wrong for me to hunt the stand I wanted to, but they kept backing up the time when it was going to change directions to when it was going to be right, and when I got down to the farm Saturday morning I had a good wind, so I climbed into the stand I had been wanting to.  Had 2 does come in but that was it.

Got down around 11:00 and went around and changed all of the cards in the cameras.  Back up in the stand around 1:30 and sat until dark.  Had 2 does come back in and that was it.  :'(

Got back home around 10:45, checked the weather and saw that they were calling for rain Sunday morning, so as I took a shower I had the pictures downloading off of one of the cards in particular to see if there had been any recent does there in the mornings.  >:D The wind was going to be right to hunt that pop-up blind (where I was planning on) and the stand I had hunted the previous day, but I didn't want to hunt that one 2 days in a row.

It had just gotten good light to shoot when I had 3 does come in yesterday morning.  2 came in and gave me 24 yard shots but there was a bigger one hanging back.  I kept waiting for her to come on in a little closer but she never would. I finally said the heck with it and ranged her at 32 yards and just as I was getting ready to drop the hammer on her she started walking and never stopped.  :'(   Moved over to this one and laid the smackdown on her.  ;)

As the crow flies, she only went about 70 yds.  Total she probably covered 120-150 yds in a big wide arc.  Between the rain and wet ground though, I never did find any blood hardly.  I just had confidence in the shot and that the Swhacker's would do their job.  They did.  I found her just as she was heading down the hill.  One of the easiest recoveries I've had.  I drove the 4 wheeler right up to her.  ;D

I've got 5 main stand locations down there.  4 of the 5 I've been seeing some decent bucks at.  This was the one place I've only been seeing does and small bucks, that's why I figured it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and pop a doe this weekend.  Besides, a feller's gotta eat, right?  O0

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Opening Weekend Success!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »
Way to go! O0 O0 O0

You know that Big 'Un can only be killed with a Black Widow, so don't even waste your time! :twisted: :roll: :wink: ;D ;D
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »
 O0 O0 O0 Right on, BC! Smackdown, brown and down!

Now that buck is gonna get it!  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 08:15:49 PM »
Now you done killed his woman, that buck will come looking for you. Just stay where he can find you but you can see him first. O0
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
Now you done killed his woman, that buck will come looking for you. Just stay where he can find you but you can see him first. O0

Nah, that spot right now is good for does and little bucks only.  The ones I'm after, as ol' Troy Landre says, "Ain't no baby."  ;)

I put a 22' ladder stand up in the best buck spot.  So far, the deer don't seem to be paying any attention to it.  I hit the mineral lick with a range finder Saturday morning and it's 22 yards away if I remember right.  O0   It's supposed to cool off this weekend, with highs in the mid 70's, so I'm hoping that that will get those bucks moving before dark.  ;)

I found a fatal flaw with that tree stand location Saturday afternoon though.  The afternoon sun hits you right square in the face and chest from 4 PM to about 5:30 PM.  :x   For an hour and a half, you're stuck on about a 2' long seat with no way to escape the sun!  I was never so happy to have that sun get behind trees in my life!  :o   To top it off, I take a Camelbak hydration bladder with me that will hold almost a gallon of water.  I drained that thing around 4:00, so from 4 on I didn't have anything to drink.  Luckily I still had a couple of apples in my backpack, so I wasn't totally parched.

Gotta see which way the wind is going to be going Saturday and Sunday.  Hopefully I'll be able to hit that stand 1 day this weekend.  I want to try to get one of those bucks early before they happen along anyone else on any neighboring properties, get hit on the road, or before any of the gun/muzzleloading seasons come in.  After I tag one of them, I can relax a little.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 06:08:25 PM »
How about one of those Cami umbrellas?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
22 ft, doubt I'll ever climb in one that high. I get a little nervous on small platforms that high. Now if it 6' x 8' i'd be good.
 Did you range that at ground level or stand level ? it might make a big difference. Arrow drop depends on linear distance not the angular distance. I'm sure you know that, but others may not.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 11:59:24 AM »
22' isn't bad.  It isn't nearly as high as I usually hunt with a climber.  Below is a picture I took of it the day I set it.

Saturday afternoon, the 2 does that came in walked right past it within about 5 feet, coming up the hill toward the mineral lick.  Before getting in it though, I'd sprayed the base down with scent eliminator and coon urine since I had had my backpack on the ground digging out some stuff.   They didn't know anyone was even around.   ;)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »
 O0 :twisted: It will be like lightning out of the sky for the big buck!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:51:04 PM »
You go up much higher, you'll get a nosebleed! :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments