November 18, 2017, 08:41:19 AM

Author Topic: I Can't Believe It! He Showed Up!  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
I Can't Believe It! He Showed Up!
« on: September 24, 2013, 10:23:24 PM »
It was going to be pouring rain Saturday morning and the wind was going to be wrong for me to hunt out of the blind I've got set, so I decided to just sleep in and go down around 10-11 AM after the rain had quit, run the cameras, change clothes, and then hit the stand.

Between Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, all I saw were some does though.  :x

Between mine and my brother's cameras now, we've got out 11 of them buggers and I'm fixin' to put out a 12th.  :o   As it is right now, it takes me a little over 3 hours to run all of the cameras and swap out the memory cards, put out more corn in some spots, and change any batteries that need it.  Once I get back up here, it usually takes a few hours to download all of the pictures, and then it takes me all week to go through the roughly 8,000 pictures, deleting the blanks, coons, and ones with just a deer butt, ear, etc.  I work the pictures in as I get time while I'm at work, usually during breaks and lunch.

As I was going through the pictures today, I got pictures of a buck I haven't seen since the first part of August!  :o   That deer was actually the main one that I was wanting to get too.  Wouldn't you know it too, he showed up Saturday morning during the rain storm.  ;D

We've got quite a few bucks down there this year, actually more than I can ever remember seeing.  I've already passed up some this year that are bigger than the one I got last year.  There are 3 down there that were on my "Hit List", a big 8, a big 9, and a perfect 10 with long tines.  Of the 3 though, I really wanted the big 8 the most.

I got a few pictures of him the first part of August and then he just disappeared!  :?   I didn't know if EHD had gotten him or if someone had poached him.  I wasn't even getting pictures of him in the middle of the night like I was the others.  I had just about given up on seeing him again when he showed up on the camera at another site at around 8:30 AM Saturday morning.  There would have been plenty of light to shoot, but the IR was still kicking in on the camera because it was so overcast from the rain.

These are the first pictures I've gotten of him since he shed his velvet and I've got to say, he's still just as impressive without his velvet as he was with it!  O0   Some of the other bucks looked pretty good in velvet, but just as soon as they shed it, their tines were pretty thin.  Not this guy! :o

I had done decided that I was going to abandon the established stands I've got and break out the climber and go mobile this next weekend.  Where I got pictures of this guy at, I don't have a stand at, so that's perfect.  ;)   Let's just hope I've got a good wind and he shows up again after daylight again this Saturday morning.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: I Can't Believe It! He Showed Up!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 10:02:23 AM »
Good luck with the big buck, BC!  O0

I checked a buck a 10 year old boy killed at my work place with a muzzleloader yesterday eve, was a really big typical 10 pointer and dressed out well over 200 pounds. The boy drilled the deer right through the center of its heart at a distance of 110 yards with a .50 rifle.

Our youth season is really going good for the kids this year.

We are losing some of our herd at work to EHD. One of my work pals found one down but still alive yesterday, a nice doe. Not far west of us, they are losing a lot of deer to EHD.  :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »
Got a few more pictures of him this week, but unfortunately they were at 2:30 in the morning.  :tickedoff

Below is a picture of him.  ;)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »
Dang John. Didn't know that Iowa had that problem. Hope it stays contained in a small area!

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:04:18 PM »
Got a few more pictures of him this week, but unfortunately they were at 2:30 in the morning.  :tickedoff

Below is a picture of him.  ;)

SA-WEET!!!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:11:49 AM »
Some of ya'll have seen the buck.  But I'm not about to post a picture of him out on the open internet.  :idiot2 ::)   Too many idiots out there that are obsessed with antlers that would sell their own mothers for a deer with a nice set.  ;)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »
Dang John. Didn't know that Iowa had that problem. Hope it stays contained in a small area!
Our weather has cooled enough to probably stop the spread.

Yep on what BC says. There are a lot of folks out there just for the antlers. I was recently at a flea market and was astounded as to how much the antlers are selling for. 

No, I didn't find any fleas at the market.  :roll: ;D Some of the vendors did look fleabitten, though.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments