November 19, 2017, 04:44:39 PM

Author Topic: We Need More Hurricanes!  (Read 1829 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
We Need More Hurricanes!
« on: October 07, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »
I almost stayed home and watched football this weekend, but I went down to my club on Saturday afternoon. Got up into my tree stand a little after 2pm and sat up there all day. About 4pm I was in the middle of a new book I had brought with me and just happened to look up and it seemed like every flipping deer in Georgia was moving around my stand.

I had looked up maybe five minutes earlier and there was zip. Now it looked like about a hundred deer. In truth I counted seven, but I kept looking to see if a buck might be following them. When I waited as long as I dared before they began to move off I started to draw on the closest one and stand at the same time. I had forgotten that my book was on my lap and as I stood the book fell to the ground and made a slight noise.

All the deer seemed to hear it but were in that making up their mind state before hauling azz. I figured now or never and let go and watched the arrow go directly over the does shoulder by a good two feet.

Still the deer didn't move. So I tried to pull out another arrow, but by the time  got it knocked, all the doe said screw it and bounced away. I sat up there for the rest of the day and it was well past dark before I got down.

I had been told about tropical storm Karen down in the Gulf and there was talk of a cold front pushing rain into our neck of the woods, so it didn't take the weather channel to tell me the barometer was dropping and that must have been why the deer were moving.

Sunday morning a little after 9am I saw three doe walking directly toward me and as one past by maybe 50 feet away I was able to put a Magnus into the lungs and she dropped about 25 yards later.

I dressed her out and took her to the cooler to have her processed and butchered. When I got there it was more like gun season than bow season. It looked like 100 deer were brought in. In truth it was 13 or 14 but for bow/crossbow season that is really a good day.

I went back and got into another tree stand that is off a 3 or 4 year old pine cutover. I crawled up and waited until late afternoon thinking I could ambush one as they came into the cutover. I didn't have to wait that long. Less than an hour a 3 point came walking down this creek bed but he kept looking over his  shoulder like he was being followed. I hoped it was a bigger buck. The 3 point walked almost directly under me without so much as a nod. He kept looking back from where he came though.

I watched him walk down the creek and then kind of trot over a little rise. He wasn't scared, but something wasn't right. I waited until after 6pm and saw 2 more doe but no bucks. I could see the storm clouds moving in and thought I had maybe 30-45 minutes At most before I lost good light.

I was just about to come down when I saw off in the opposite direction the 3 point had gone, several deer. Because of bad light I waited until one was maybe 25 yards when I saw it was a doe and decided to try and take her as my doe for Hunters for the Hungry.

This time I had no book to fall off my lap and was able to stand unnoticed, and then draw. It connected almost where the first deer I shot. I watched her try and run up a small hill but she fell back down into the creek and that was that.

So I have my venison and venison for the needy. It's amazing how much more energy you have when your heart is working! LOL! Much better than last year, when it was about this time I began to notice my chest pains. New Plumbing is always a good thing! LOL!

I had no problem getting either deer out of the woods and into my truck and down to the cooler/processor.

This was one time the crazy weather worked for me!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:12:43 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: We Need More Hurricanes!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:43:57 AM »
 O0 That was great, bo! And the new plumbing works good! That was some acid test, dragging those deer out.
You can still bag a buck, yes?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:43:34 PM »
Way to go, Bo O0 O0 Well told too. That is just awesome, getting 2 in the same day. Good on you for the donated meat. Somebody is going to eat well, possibly for the first time in a long time. Guess that new plumbing was need to feed such a big heart.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »
Thank you very much I really appreciate it. I've tried since the early 90s to donate at least some of the deer I take to Hunters for the Hungry. As far as I know they're in most all Eastern and Midwestern states that have whitetail hunting. I don't know about West but I'd bet there is something at least similar to what we have here.

As a cop you can get calloused towards people because you're witness to people lying and stealing and being just total dirtbags on a daily basis. These people ask for money so they can buy drugs or booze, and don't care a rats tail about anyone or anything but them. You see the children who are caught in the middle and you know from 20+ years experience that unless you can get them out of that cycle, they will wind up just like their parent. Too often though your hands are tied by the legal system and there is only so much you can do.

At least with foodbanks set up by hunters, you know the food goes to a good cause, because you keep the government out of it.

It's hard to believe in this great country of ours, but each night untold thousands of American children go to bed hungry. All the while our government is pumping billions of dollars into other countries accounts to keep their dictators happy.

I thought Obama was going to stop that?

You do what you can with what you got. That's about all you can do.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »
  O0 Bo for Prez!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
Sorry I'm late responding.  :(   Congrats Bo!  O0   Sounds like a pretty good weekend.

The weekend you went we had a freaking monsoon around here for most of the time and I didn't get to go.  The boy was walking in the local parade that Saturday morning, so I sacrificed a morning of hunting to do the "daddy" thing. ;)   After that though, it started raining around 1:00 PM and didn't stop until sometime Monday I think.  On either Saturday or Sunday, Louisville recorded 7+" of rain in one day.  :o   Like I said, a monsoon!

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:05:32 AM »
 :shock: :shock: Yeah on the momsoon!

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 10:26:12 PM »
Yea, I saw where Paducah got hit pretty hard and flooded parts of East Kentucky. Hope Mongo had his life preserver on?! :D ;D :wink:

Facebook Comments