November 19, 2017, 08:53:04 PM

Author Topic: Taking 5 days to Gun Hunt This Weekend.  (Read 2147 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Taking 5 days to Gun Hunt This Weekend.
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:56:16 PM »
Going to head down towards Savannah for opening weekend of the gun season here. Going to be running the dogs at a club I used to belong to, and have been inivited back for the weekend. Going to take the trusty Mossberg 835,12 gauge with its 3" 000 buckshot and 3 1/2" 00 buckshot.

Taking my American Arms 10 gauge, side/side too. I got hold of some 00 buckshot for it last summer and want to compare it to the 3 1/2" 00 buckshot in my 12 gauge. On paper they're super close, but the test is how they perform in the field.

Sunday afternoon I'll head back up to my regular club in middle Georgia and stand hunt Mon-Weds.

I'd like to say I'm doing this because I'm really psyched about opening weekend, but the truth is I have over 70 hours of vacation leave that I need to take or I wind up losing it at the end of the year.

I am pretty excited about using the dogs though! I might even bring back a rattlesnake for BC as a pet!
 :D :D ;D ;D 8) 8) :shock: :-P :twisted: :roll: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
Re: Taking 5 days to Gun Hunt This Weekend.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »
Good luck with that bo.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »
Had a GREAT time, running the dogs. Sadly no big deer but I did slap 2 hogs. I used my 10 gauge with 00 buckshot and popped one at maybe 50 feet as it was trying to cut back across a cypress bottom. Weighed about 100lbs. Got another one later in the day. It was with a sounder of at least 10. I had just taken a leak and was walking back to my station and they were walking down the dirt road right at me. I would have sold my sold my soul for an M-60 or even my AR-15. I popped the lead pig and the rest just ran off in a million directions.

The damn things are like zombies and are taking over the swamp and doing hell-a-shish damage to quail, turkey and even alligator nests. Jesus. They plant 2-3-4-5 acre fields for the deer and turkey and the freaking hogs show up and destroy a field in a single night. We have GOT to get a handle on this problem, or it will be World War H! I don't see Brad Pitt showing his piddly azz to help either!

Hunted Mon-Weds at my other club in middle Georgia, and saw a fat little 6 point Weds morning but I let him walk. I mainly sat up in my treestand and read a really good book....Since it IS almost Halloween, I read a book by Gerry O'Hara called Sherlock Holmes and the Affair in Transylvania.

Sherlock goes up against Count Dracula and kicks butt!! :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :wink: O0

Still all in all had a great time. I think we had fewer people out in middle Georgia this year than last. I felt it more than know it, but I could be wrong.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 08:48:37 AM »
I don't know why I didn't see this thread before.  :sad:

O0 Nice going, bo! Those hogs sure do a lot of damage. I hope a monster buck shows up square in your sights!  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »
 :D
 MAN I WANA PIG HUNT!!!!!!! :'(
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 10:26:01 PM »
Hogs are all over Georgia and Florida, Alabama, both the Carolinas and just about everywhere else around here. I wish we could work out a way to get people like you D45/70 to get over here and kill some of these things before the damage is any worse. Many places charge money at this point because people think they have a chance of killing a 400 pound hog with 8" tusks.

There are some big hogs out here, but because there are so damn many, most don't get too large. 50-100lbs is more the average and most of those lack any real tusks. Hunting them with dogs is fun but can be a problem with the dogs crossing boundaries and it is almost becoming a losing proposition.

There are so many that unless you can take out a dozen or so, you're not really doing much good at lowering the population. I wish I had the ability to talk farmers into letting shooters onto their lands to shoot the damn things while they scavenge through the wheat, bean, corn and other planted crops. If they don't do something soon, their crops are going to be lost and pretty much every critter that lays eggs will be on the verge of going Tango Uniform! :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 08:30:59 AM »
Yes, one would think farmers would welcome hog hunters. When I farmed I had 8 left over spooky hogs running all over the farm and making problems every day. I finally got time enough one very cold afternoon to exterminate them. They were domestic gone feral.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:10:29 PM »
Congrats on the hogs Bo!  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 10:28:08 PM »
Went this weekend to my regular club and saw two or three off in the distance. Even with field glasses I couldn't say for sure whether they were bucks or doe. Still a lot of leaves on the trees. Couldn't get a clean shot in any case. Listened to college football on satellite radio and cussed a blue streak when Miami got beat by Virginia Tech.

Still had some good bar-b-q, and on my way back home Sunday, stopped off at a little restaurant I've driven by a million times, but never stopped at. I went in and had the best chicken and dumplings I've had since my mother was alive.

ALL I've been thinking about since Sunday are those chicken and dumplings. I might call in sick, just so I can go back and get some more! Y'all cover for me M'kay?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 09:55:40 AM »
Went this weekend to my regular club and saw two or three off in the distance. Even with field glasses I couldn't say for sure whether they were bucks or doe. Still a lot of leaves on the trees. Couldn't get a clean shot in any case. Listened to college football on satellite radio and cussed a blue streak when Miami got beat by Virginia Tech.

Still had some good bar-b-q, and on my way back home Sunday, stopped off at a little restaurant I've driven by a million times, but never stopped at. I went in and had the best chicken and dumplings I've had since my mother was alive.

ALL I've been thinking about since Sunday are those chicken and dumplings. I might call in sick, just so I can go back and get some more! Y'all cover for me M'kay?
  :) O0 Squirrel and dumplings would be good for ya, too.

Facebook Comments