November 20, 2017, 11:14:57 PM

Author Topic: Let's see  (Read 3502 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Let's see
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »
I am going to terrorize some squirrels tomorrow, am taking the .17 WSM BMAG.  :twisted: Am taking it in hopes a coyote or two show their faces while I am sniping squirrels.

I haven't been hunting for about 5 weeks because of wife's surgeries and lousy weather.  :sad: Squirrels should be dumbed down and easy because of they having such a long hatus.  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 09:21:34 AM »
.17WSM is a tad overkill by some folks. Not a problem if you go for head shots.  :)

I topped my BMAG with a Simmons 6.5X-20X and it seems to be OK. I killed some squirrels with it last season. I have a 8X-32X with target turrents loafing on a shelf and begging to top the WSM rifle.

Given the fact the rifle is an easy 300-400 yard squirrel rifle, a big scope is not out of line if it will focus for short ranges, which it does.  :twisted:

I have a very big new to me public hunting area to hunt. It's just a few minutes from home. The reason it isn't generally hunted is because of being out of the way and nothing is advertised about it. According to my brother that has been there a few times, it has also has several hundred acres of old growth timber and very clean, a great rifle hunting area.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 09:13:54 PM »
Yay! I heard our Iowa squirrel season was going to open Sept 1 and was unhappy we would not be able to hunt the weekend before Sept. 1. Then, I heard we get that weekend before Sept. 1 to hunt.
I wanted do do cartwheels when I heard that but I would break a bone or something worse, at my age. It also would be very undignified. And we all stand high on dignity.  :wink: :roll:

I have some of my rifles sighted in, still have a few to go to the range. A GutPiler is always ready!  :twisted:

A question to all you expert squirrel hunters, what rifle do you suggest to start season with? A .22 LR, .22 Mag, .17 HMR, or go whole hog with the .17 WSM?

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 10:55:50 PM »
If you got it use it  O0 Shotgun makes more sense than any of those rifles while the green is up. If you're determined to use a rifle, I'd say take the WSM. Nothing wrong with being over powered and you know if you don't, something gonna show up to make you wish you had it.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »
If you got it use it  O0 Shotgun makes more sense than any of those rifles while the green is up. If you're determined to use a rifle, I'd say take the WSM. Nothing wrong with being over powered and you know if you don't, something gonna show up to make you wish you had it.
Yeah determined on using a rifle, MO. I saw coyotes and feral cats while hunting with the HMR and it did OK. The WSM will do even better.  :twisted:

If I was BC, I would have to get up an extra two hours earlier to decide which rifle of the tons of rifles to use.  :wink: :roll:

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
If you were BC, you'd have to start a week in advance.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 06:19:38 AM »
If you were BC, you'd have to start a week in advance.
  O0 Yeah on that, MO!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 06:08:25 PM »
Well, it has worked out just fine, the .17 WSM for hunting this season. I piled up the squirrels and also a CAT last Saturday. I had given up on getting a CAT until that one showed up. A 20gr VMAX at only about 100 yards or so anchored him, a big striped muli-colored rascal that blended well with the background.

I spotted him while he stalked around some brushpiles and kept looking up into the trees, completely unaware of the hidden sniper up the bluff from him. Camo pays off in winter, too.

That CAT was a long time coming, since the last one spotted and killed was a few years ago, killed with my HMR as it came running to my young squirrel in distress call.  :twisted:

I can't think of a better way to end sqirrel season, 2 gray squirrels and a CAT!

Facebook Comments