October 22, 2017, 05:56:19 AM

Author Topic: Winchester .17 WSM (Winchester Super Magnum)  (Read 10470 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Winchester .17 WSM (Winchester Super Magnum)
« on: October 26, 2013, 04:55:38 PM »
Late last winter Winchester announced a new rimfire round, the .17 WSM in conjunction with Savage Arms announcing a new design rifle for the same round. Winchester also announced they have a rifle designed for the round, a single shot high wall with a price tag of about $1500.

I ordered one of the BMAGS and a couple of boxes of ammo when the news was announced.

Last Thursday the store called, my rifle arrived. I wasted no time rushing to the store to receive my new toy. The ammo didn't arrive but I stumbled across a couple of boxes a couple of weeks ago, at another local store.

The rifle weighs just under 4 1/2 pounds, a lightweight for carrying.

I scoped the rifle yesterday and have been waiting for a calm day to proceed to the range to sight in the rifle.

Anyone else familiar with the .17WSM and rifles?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
Re: Winchester .17 WSM (Winchester Super Magnum)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 11:51:18 PM »
Update.
I scoped the rifle with a 3X-9X and popped a couple of squirrels, then rescoped it with a 6.5X-20X 50mm Simmons Whitetail Classic last night and sighted it in for 50 meters today with Winchester 20gr VMAX. 30-50 yards is about the average range squirrels that are shot in our woods. Of course, we get some 100 yard and beyond shots. 

The rifle is going squirrel hunting tomorrow.

The .17 WSM is a 300 yard squirrel and coyote rifle.  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »

The .17 WSM is a 300 yard squirrel and coyote rifle.  :twisted:
I suppose it is in the right hands. So when ya goin to send it to me  ;D
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:30:10 PM »
I suppose it is in the right hands. So when ya goin to send it to me  ;D
You would just beat it up dragging it coon hunting but would like to use it on coon.  ;D ;D Until it came to skinning.  :shock: ;D
Some years ago Juandogg used a .17 HMR coonhunting. It was a real chore to skin the coons because of the shattered skulls, as a result of the HMR.  ;D

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:27:52 PM »

Some years ago Juandogg used a .17 HMR coonhunting.
I did not use one since I dont own any bb guns but a guy I was huntin with did and yes it was a pain to skin the head with a shattered skull
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »
I did not use one since I dont own any bb guns but a guy I was huntin with did and yes it was a pain to skin the head with a shattered skull

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yep, I remember when that happened. I bet that was a big chore!

I scoped my WSM with another scope, a Simmons Whitetail Classic 50mm 6.5X-20X and sighted it in. I gave it a hunting trip Sunday, whacked 4 grey squirrels.
My hunting pal popped a couple of nice fox squirrels but one hung up in the crotch of a tree. His .17 HMR couldn't knock it out of the tree so he met up with me and we walked to the tree. A shot from my WSM blew the squirrel out of the tree without any damage to the edible part of the squirrel.   :)

The scope and rings were given to my by a good pal that used to be my chief at work and now he is our Army Provost Marshall. He used to own a sporting goods store where I worked part time for him and at the same time, at the day job. He wouldn't take any money for the scope, said consider it a gift because of all the years we have been good friends.  :)

I'm shooting 20gr Winchester 20 gr VMAX ammo.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 05:32:24 PM »
Wow! A free scope! No doubt you deserved it too. I think its much better to put a full size scope on a rimfire or small caliber rifle than one of those piddly .22 scopes.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »
Hell! This might be a good sniping rifle. Round traveling that fast. It would explode on contact if you hit the skull. Maximum terminal damage and it would be hard for the forensics to trace a shattered round back to your weapon!

NOT THAT I'M SUGGESTING SUCH A THING!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 02:08:37 AM »
Hell! This might be a good sniping rifle. Round traveling that fast. It would explode on contact if you hit the skull. Maximum terminal damage and it would be hard for the forensics to trace a shattered round back to your weapon!

NOT THAT I'M SUGGESTING SUCH A THING!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:roll: :wink: :twisted:
Some shooters have clocked the 20gr at 3160. And yes, very destructive.  :)

Facebook Comments