December 15, 2017, 01:24:14 AM

Author Topic: Starting new food plots ?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
Starting new food plots ?
« on: November 30, 2003, 11:22:32 AM »
Can anuone give me advice on food plots? I know its probably to late this year. Ive got around fifty acres all wooded, no fields. There is a logging road that runs most the length of the property though. I wont be able to till or anything since the land owner uses the road for acces to fire wood. the ground looks fertile up there nice dark soil. Any recomendations?
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 07:45:39 PM »
Big58cal is the guy to talk to about food plots..... but with all of that private land, I think we need to have a Gut Pile Style hunting party at your place!   :twisted:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 08:25:32 PM »
See if you can talk the landowner into making a few small clearings.  It wouldn't be that hard.  Try to find some areas where there's some "trash timber"......Poplar, Black Gum, Ash, Maple, Sycamore, Sasafras, etc.  Cut the trees down and then you can cut the wood up into firewood for the landowner.  Clear some areas big enough to let the sun get down to the ground (they don't have to be that big, maybe 50'x50' at the smallest).  Take a rake and rake the leaves out of the area.  In the process, you'll be loosening up the ground.  Sew your seed, some lime, and fertilizer (the soil is going to be acidic from the leaves, and fertilizer never hurts).  If you want to pay the money, get a soil test, but for such a small area, I wouldn't mess with it.  Take something and drag over the area to slightly bury the seed.  I'd suggest a clover, lespedeza mix.

What you can do on the logging road through the area is take a disk up there (if the farmer has a tractor and disk) and break up the top of the ground in an area on both sides of the road, and the road itself.  Again, sew some clover and lespedeza (and lime and fertilizer of course).  Drag something over it it slightly cover the seed.  If it's too closed around the road, see if you can open it up a little by cutting a few trees.

If you don't have anything to drag over the ground, you can wait and sew the seed a day or so before it's supposed to come a good rain.  The rain will bury the seed the right depth.  With clover and lespedeza, as small as the seeds are, you only need about 1/4" of dirt over them.  Much more and they won't come up.

Here's a picture of about a 5 acre food plot that we made in the woods.  It used to just have an old logging road going through the area.  We cut most of the trees and then took a dozer and moved dirt from the high side down on the lower side to help level it out.  This picture was taken during the summer, the year after we had made the plot.  This year, I've got it broken up a little.  I tilled up the ground in 7 different areas and planted 7 different things in them to see what the deer were going to hit the best.  So far, it's the brassica that they're tearing up.  The reason I suggest the clover (use white clover, not red) and lespedeza is that they are pretty hardy and are somewhat shade tollerant.

For some more information on food plots, check out the following link.  It's to the Quality Deer Management Association.  It's a good group.  If you're not a member, I'd suggest becoming one.  http://www.qdma.org/
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 09:49:45 PM »
Thanks, I had no idea about plots at all. My thumb isnt green its black from the gun powder. The area you showed the pic of looks alot like the area I hunt.And your not to far from me. I'm in Tenn, The lands in Dickson co.
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Offline Jen

• Gut Pile Club Member
    • Matahota Ranch, LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 07:21:39 PM »
Hey, if ya'll are gonna be cuttin down some sasafras, could ya send me some? I've been wantin some of that for a long time!  PM me and I'll give ya my address :D

Jen :wink:

P.S. Good luck with the food plots!  Hope you are able to make some and get some big deer with them1 :D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 09:24:48 PM »
Hey Jen, just how much sasafrass do you want, and what parts?  Where are you at also?  The land that I would be cutting some off of is basically in Central Kentucky (Marion County).  The reason I ask is that wood is going to be really heavy and cost a small fortune to mail.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Jen

• Gut Pile Club Member
    • Matahota Ranch, LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 09:22:20 AM »
Quote from: Big58cal
Hey Jen, just how much sasafrass do you want, and what parts?  Where are you at also?  The land that I would be cutting some off of is basically in Central Kentucky (Marion County).  The reason I ask is that wood is going to be really heavy and cost a small fortune to mail.

I live in Ashland, Ohio.  I was just wantin to make me some tea with it :D
I love that stuff!!!  I used to be able to get alot of it down in Woodsfield, Ohio when we would go down to see my grandma, but since she's gone, I haven't been down there in about 5 years.  I'd prolly only need about a pound or so.  I know that you're only sposed to use the roots for tea, but I always used the smaller limbs and it always worked.

Jen :wink:

Facebook Comments