November 18, 2017, 09:07:08 AM

Author Topic: Even an old blind hog finds one once in a while  (Read 1986 times)

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
Even an old blind hog finds one once in a while
« on: November 27, 2013, 11:29:45 AM »
Some of you may not know it, but, I hunt with my dad, brother and my son on our property. We don't get a lot of deer,but we enjoy being in the woods together making memories. My dad will turn 70 this April and he has taken me hunting since I was 9 years old. He missed out on my 1st deer, but has been in the woods when I have killed my 2 biggest. It is a great feeling to express the Joy of a harvest with your family.
Saying that, this year when getting things ready for the season, I noticed just how much slower pops has been getting around and it has made me think about how many more deer seasons the Good Lord will give me with him. He has, for the last 30 years, shot a Rem 742 Woodmaster in 30-.06. When we were breaking the rifles down this summer and doing a real good clean job on them, we noticed that the 742 had broke parts in the ejector. Needless to say, we have not found a replacement breach bolt for it, so pops couldn't hunt with his gun this year. I pulled my old 270 out and told him to hunt with it this season until we could get his 742 fixed. Jump forward to last Sat. morning. There are 3 stands on the property that pops will hunt. When we got to the club, I checked to make sure he was in his stand and I went to the other end of the property. Right at daylight I hear my old 270 bark twice. My son is sitting about 600 yards from pops and he binos up toward pops stand. He then texts me and says " pops shot. DRT!" Well, you know that about ended the hunt for everybody. I really am excited that my dad at 70 is still able to go out and hunt and fish like he does. I hope, when I am that age, I can still do the things I love to do and can just remember the times like Sat.  I don't care if it was a 150"buck or not, it is a deer for Pops and that is all that matters.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:32:59 AM by J-BUCKS »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Even an old blind hog finds one once in a while
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »
  O0 Nice deer and ol' dad did good!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 07:42:32 PM »
My congrats to you and your father.  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

I'm sure you'll be enjoying many more seasons together.

You quite succinctly pointed out what the real purpose is behind hunting and showing that QDM is and always should be in the mind and eye of the beholder and not told to us by those who have either never known or have forgotten what hunting is and why we hunt.

The Remington 742 in .30-06 was the most popular rifle in Georgia throughout the 70s and well into the 80s. It and its later models are still the most often used semi-autos used here. If you're having trouble finding the piece you're looking for, call around to different gun and pawn shops and you should be able to find it without too much hassle.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 02:03:48 PM »
Bo, you would think that parts for that rifle would be easy to come by, but they are not. I have had guys from here to Arkansas and into Alabama and up to Kentucky scouring  pawn shops and the internet looking for that Breech bolt. Every pawn shop around here I checked with said they wont even take that Rifle in on trade just because they don't make replacement parts for it. We will just put it in the back of the safe and keep looking for that bolt. If we don't find it, we will just hang it on the wall and talk about all the deer Pops killed with it.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:21:10 PM »
Let me look around up here and see what I can find. I have to believe there is one around here somewhere!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:23:37 PM »
If push comes to shove, we'll sneak into BCs gun vault. He has so many that he won't miss one or two! :roll: :wink: :twisted:

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
Bo, if you find it, let me know! We can meet somewhere and I'll get it from you. Just holler! thanks!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:21:15 AM »
My son in Las Vegas has a 742 .30/06 he would part with. He traded for it and doesn't like it.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »
Two of the pawn shops I thought would have the part have gone out of business, and the other places I checked have had the parts, but not for awhile. One guy told me that the situation might improve AFTER deer season close, because that's when those looking for trades will be most active. I'll keep looking though!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:05 PM »
Congrats to your dad J-bucks!!!  O0 I hope when I'm 70 I'm still able to get out there like him.  More importantly though, I just hope my boy will be the one tagging along with me like you are your dad.

This year I was hunting some pretty big bucks for 2 reasons.  First, we had several on the property so why not?  Second, with only being allowed 1 buck up here, I didn't want to shoot the first thing I saw and tag out too early like I did last year and be bored out of my skull for the rest of the season.  Plus, I got tired of shooting small bucks.  Figured I'd leave them for someone else that really wanted one of those deer or they could grow a little older.

With that being said, I'm mainly like you guys.  I'm a meat hunter and I'm out there for the experience.  Last year I couldn't help myself and was done deer hunting by mid October.  Our bow season runs to MLK day in January.  This year, I've only gotten a buck and doe and still have at least 2 more does to get.  I've hunted more this year than I have in several years and just enjoyed the crap out of it!  :) 

Hope you all keep hunting and get 1-2 more before the season closes this year.  If I don't talk to you before then, ya'll have a Merry Christmas!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments