December 11, 2017, 11:35:03 PM

Author Topic: Roll Call!  (Read 6085 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Roll Call!
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 05:52:35 AM »
Up and at it, recruits! it's 0443! Ya wanna sleep all day?  ;D

Not much going on here this early in the AM, dogs and wife snoring. It's hot outside and going to be in the 90's about all week.  :buck2

It's too hot to get any work done in the shop. I am still plugging away at the old day job and looking forward to opening day of hunting season Saturday.  :twisted:

I traded my bought new red '01 Tundra for a shiny silver Tundra with topper and am ready to hit the road for some hunting.

My Savage BMAG .17 WSM got tested last hunting season and is ready for action, as well as my HMR and other squirrel rifles.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2014, 06:59:43 AM »
UPDATE: Truck runs good and I like the topper on it. It keeps flies off my dead stuff. My Savage BMAG .17 WSM had a hiccup and a quick trip to my gunsmith pals got that fixed within minutes and free. They appreciate old Indians of my caliber.  O0 I tried the rifle out yesterday and pretty much removed a gray squirrel's head.

We BS a lot and talk shop. I do break free of a little wapum for ammo and stuff. One gunsmith at the store and I have been pals for many years. The rest of the other guys connected with the store/shop are new pals. We are LEOs and military guys that work to protect our government and our great country. We are also considered rednecks and proud of it.

Everyone should have hangouts and pals like I have at the shop.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 10:46:05 PM »
Well, what's everyone up to? I been working and also working in the shop.

Squirrels have been dying on weekends, death from below by my .17 WSM.  :twisted:

I expect some more to die tomorrow. The sniper is unleashed.  :twisted:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2014, 10:58:01 AM »
I took my .17WSM for a walk yesterday and whacked 2 grays and 1 fox squirrel. The 25gr VMAX fodder works great. Two shots were well over 100 yards and spot on. The big fox buck squirrel had only an inch of tail. The tail stub was healed.

That made for a tough skinning job but I got er done.

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 06:53:16 PM »
 Hey John good to see you are gettin after the bucktoothed devils. I took last week off for our deer season. I woke up sick Monday morning and never set foot in the woods all week. Everything I ate came out  one or the other. Man I got rid of stuff I ain't gonna eat til day after tomorrow. I still feel a little peaked, but would like to sneak out for a little bit tomorrow with the Mach 2. My freezer has a shortage of squirrel type food.
 It is nice you have a good shop like that. I used to but it isn't there any more. The owner's son stole him blind and he had to sell out. A few years later another shop opened in the same location and was good for a while until they got too big. They moved to a huge new store and it just isn't the same. They have gotten so large they have three locations all over the state, and do a lot of business online. they even bought up a bunch of farmland, leased a bunch more and do guided hunts. You can go online and check them out at Woodbury Outfitters.com. They do a lot of business but it doesn't have the small shop atmosphere anymore.
Bill   
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2014, 09:25:23 AM »
Thanks, occ, and it's sure great to hear you are feeling much better! Sounds like rough stuff to have!
I sure hope you can get out and nail some of those evil plotting bucktoothed dastardly varmints. I can't do the job all by myself, given the overwhelming numbers. United and attacking on several fronts, we can make serious inroads into their population.  :twisted:

You know, squirrels don't expect snipers that far forward in an operation. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.  :twisted:

Last Saturday I was well positioned within a great hide, was sitting in and on some big roots of a big oak tree at the top of a cliff overlooking a creek below and some good cleared areas where squirrel feeding was evident. It was very comfortable, was like sitting in an easychair.

As I scanned the area around me, I spotted a big fox buck on a limb only about 30 or 40 yards distance. He was stretched out on a limb while spying. My .17 WSM 25gr smacked his head between his ear and eye. He had only about an inch of tail with the stub healed. His one inch of remaining tail was fully haired.

A while later, I spotted a forward gray scout scampering around across the creek on the bottom ground at somewhat over 100 yards. As the squirrel traveled on a fallen tree limb, my bullet peeled him off the limb.

Later, while still hunting a half click farther on the bluff, I spied a gray running all over several trees well over 100 yards distance. He wasn't alarmed because he had not spotted me. As soon as he paused, my bullet smacked the side of his head.

After #3 kill, no more targets showed and I headed home.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »
I've been wanting to get out and pop some squirrels, but haven't had the time.  I'm still trying to get some more deer.  Squirrels are good, but they don't pack as much meat as a deer.  ;D

Took Mongo out for an "armed walk in the woods" over the Thanksgiving break.  We had had a little snow, but it was pretty much melted off by the time we went out.  It was overcast but fairly warm and we didn't get out there until around 11:00.  By then, the squirrels were already laid up from the morning.

Still, the run did "My Little Chubby Buddy" some good.  O0   I didn't run him into the ground like normally happens.  If I can get 1-2 more deer pretty soon, we'll be getting out every chance we get.  The good thing is that the squirrel season runs until mid February.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »
 O0 Good deal, BC!

Facebook Comments