November 25, 2017, 06:26:44 AM

Author Topic: How many Varmint hunt on a regular basis?  (Read 2950 times)

Squirrelhunter91

How many Varmint hunt on a regular basis?
« on: February 01, 2005, 08:08:15 PM »
How many on here Varmint hunt on a regular basis?

Chipmunks, groundhogs, field mice, unprotected game.... etc....

I have acess to all of these critters. Chipmunks especially. They eat up the garden in the summer. A good old .177 pellet to the head does the trick. Groundhogs come to the garden for the cucumbers every now and then.. I shot two so far.... There are plenty left...

Offline squirrelsniper

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • What's Up?
    • http://antlerinnforums.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Re: How many Varmint hunt on a regular basis?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 08:14:42 PM »
I go for all

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
  • One shot. One kill. No exceptions.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 10:29:14 PM »
I shot chipmunk in my yard with a cheap 760 pumpmaster so they dont get into the house.(one did once and my mom wouldnt sit down until it was dead)I shoot mice in the garage in the summer cause they get in,and 1 ground hog under my neighbors shed,he asked me to.
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 10:45:35 PM »
Y'all might want to check the regulations on shooting chipmunks.  They're a protected nongame species in KY, as well as quite a few other states.  I don't know if they're protected in your state, but you might want to check before you start shooting/trapping them.

Unprotected critters pretty well get a pounding from me whenever I see them and can get off a shot.  Good 'ol .17 HMR! :mrgreen:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 10:49:39 PM »
me me me i do i do. i varmint hunt alot heh. killed a many of chipmunks in my day in the old back forty. missed a few too with the old twelve gauge runnin but im a sorry ground runnin shot. all i have to say is protected or not if there eatin my garden its time for an over haul hehehehe. be on the watch though for CO's
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 08:47:35 AM »
Chipmunks are unprotected here in NY. I emailed DEC about it and they can be taken at anytime of the year with no bag limit given that the shooter has all proper licenses for small game and has taken the Hunter Ed course.... Plus they eat the hell outta my garden... They love tomatoes..

Heres a challenge:

Take a chipmunk with the bow.  I have done it twice... Lucky shots.... :-P

Offline john

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 09:08:08 AM »
i hunt woodchucks all years when i can find them. if your a bow hunter you are sitting on a gold mine with woodchucks.
go for a ride in farm country, stop for a brief chat with every farmer you see.work around to askiing him if he has problems with chuck on his property,specialy if he has live stock. tell him you love to hunt them  with a bow.
they like bow hunters because we can shoot around buildings safely. and our arrows don't fly so far as to put their livestock in danger.
if he lets you hunt do it, so he feels good about giving permission. then learn how to cook chuck up.i like pinning bacon on them and bar-b-que them.provide himwith a meal of nicely done chuck. usually by the time september rolls around, you will also have new deer hunting ground because he will  have become your friend!
i have two farms i can now hunt freely, and two more i will be hunting chucks on this spring.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 11:19:25 AM »
I really havent ever gone out only for varmints,but I have killed a buch while deer\squirrel hunting.Id like to start though,
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 05:48:39 PM »
Birdseed + pellet gun = happy hunter and dead chipmunk

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 06:47:28 PM »
I take what I see, but I don't go looking for them.... yet, I might have to try that soon though.
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Facebook Comments