October 22, 2017, 05:48:42 AM

Author Topic: Seriously Injured Hunter  (Read 1219 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Seriously Injured Hunter
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:30:55 AM »
Yesterday afternoon at about 3PM I was dispatched to find an injured hunter that had fallen from his deerstand. The info was called by cellphone by the injured hunter to our dept.

I proceeded to the locale given and had to conduct a further search to locate the hunter. The info phoned was passed along through two channels before I received it and was somewhat distorted.

I was soon joined with two fellow officers and we located the seriously injured hunter that suffered a broken back and was in severe pain. All his gear was with him and his stand was at an odd angle. It was obvious the stand shifted and dumped him 15 or 20 feet to the ground. I couldn't see any safety harness.

Our FD EMT folks showed up a few minutes after I arrived at the location.

I had to break a path through thick buckbrush so we could carry the hunter to the ambulance. That chore was completed by the time our EMTs had the injured ready to carry.

The temperature was +18 degrees and the hunter was greatly distressed. A stiff wind was blowing and added to his discomfort.

My advice is, if you folks are hunting from a tree stand, use a safety harness.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:41:11 AM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Seriously Injured Hunter
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »
That sucks to hear that the guy fell.  At least he had a cell phone and reception.  Down where I hunt at, I don't get reception on my cell phone.

Good advice on the harness John.  O0   If you look at the price of a good harness, they're up around $100+, and you may not want to spend that kind of money on a harness.  But how can you put a price on your life?  The guy was lucky that he wasn't killed when he fell.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »
Excellent advice on the harness. It cost many times less than a trip to the ER if you survive the fall. I prefer to keep my feet on the ground. In addition to keeping my cell on me, I also carry a coaches whistle. Great signaling device to help searchers locate you and 3 blast repeated usually turns anyone within ear shot into a searcher. The pitch of a whistle helps it carry a long ways even in high winds.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
Way to go John! I hope the hunter and his family write a nice letter to your superiors about all you and the rest of the safety personnel did for him! 18 degrees! MAN! That be chilly!

Safety belt is a good investment as is the whistle. I stil wear my LBE from my army days(Load Bearing Equipment) and I also carry 2 survival blankets in my big rear pouch, just in case. Never had to use them, but in 18 degree weather I would certainly be happy to have them.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 12:04:18 PM »
Thanks, bo!
I wear load bearing equipment because I carry a lot of issued gear. It's nice, gunbelt and and equipment doesn't slide down, etc. It keeps the sidearm always in the same position, too.

No word from the injured fella or his family yet. We wonder how he is doing.

You know how rare nice letters are, bo.  :roll: Folks have short memories and we catch more negative than positive. It's a shock to get a nice letter, or probably, discarded rather than we hear of it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:07:33 PM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:39:07 AM »
I caught hell posting this subject, boss was upset because he thought we shouldn't put out ANY info of our work area. I put up with this jerk for over 20 years and he got his walking papers last week. Sometimes BS piles up, as in his case.

I was determined to outlast him and I did exactly that!  :twisted: ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:41:24 AM by John Andrews »

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 09:39:01 PM »
You didn't post anything that wasn't reported on the local news, did you?  Since it didn't come from him was probably why he was P.O.'ed.  ::)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:26:17 AM »
You didn't post anything that wasn't reported on the local news, did you?  Since it didn't come from him was probably why he was P.O.'ed.  ::)
Nope, absolutely nothing on the news. And yeah, it was like him to think that way. His ways of thinking finally piled up on him.  :twisted: :uglystupid2 :knuppel2

Facebook Comments