October 20, 2017, 02:04:20 PM

Author Topic: ??? What would be a fur friendly 6mm/ 243 bullet in your mind ???  (Read 2349 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
I Know this will be a shock but I was on another site...
 Anyway we are having a spirited debate about a fur friendly 6mm bullet /load.
 I contend ,NOT. The 6mm/243 it the ultimate varmint/predator round . It takes care of ANY varmint, from gophers to hogs and kit fox to wolf, BUT. If'n your looking for fur It's just not right. I know , I know, there is varmint rounds all the up to 308 but I can tell you the fur quality just goes down with any thing over 22. Just my two cents.  :knuppel2
 PS we just sold 20 coyote hides for an average $55 ( small holes )
O0
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: ??? What would be a fur friendly 6mm/ 243 bullet in your mind ???
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:33:21 AM »
You got me buddy. The only varmints I hunt are the two legged kind. :wink:

Shooting for fur pelts  is not something we have in my neck of the woods. Coyotes are not a native species here in Georgia and are vermin and are allowed to be shot on sight on any private land.

I've used the 5.56(.223) in one of my ARs in both Georgia and Florida to hunt coyotes with, but we're not caring about the hides. We kill them to keep their populations as low as possible because they eat the quail, turkey, duck and other bird species eggs. Not to mention the young deer and other native animals.

Here we have the added concern of them carrying rabies and killing neighborhood dogs and other pets. For those reasons semi-auto rifles with high capacity magazines are very popular here. 

You dont really see it around here much, but maybe the .222 remington would suit your needs. The last one I saw was a Remington 788 that was manufactured back in the 70s.

You handload don't you? If you can find the rifle maybe you can dial up a strong enough medicine to get the job done without making too big a hole in the pelt.

When BC buys me that Kimber M87 in .257 Roberts I'll make it a point to try it out on the coyotes. :roll: :wink:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:47:05 AM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
There should be some good .223 loads for pelt saving. Perhaps with the compressed powder varmint grenade bullet?

I have been out of the reloading curve for years.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 02:56:46 PM »
Reload yes.
I think a 22 anything is about as "Big" as you can go myself. Just a lot of guys have a 243 for deer and want to do coyotes.  I use a 22/250 and once and awhile I pull out the swift, The boy has 4 different 223's and his wife has her 204 so we are covered. Just wondering your take on a 6mm, maybe you have seen a Magic bullet or something. PS between the two families we have 7 different 6mm/243's to try...
:D
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 03:29:36 AM »
I'm a real big fan of the .243 for deer hunting. My main deer rifle is a Ruger #1 Light Sporter with a 2-7  VXII Leupold on it. The ammo I shoot is from a company here called Georgia Arms. I shoot 100 grain grand slam bullets and have never been disappointed. I got into single shots back in the late 80s and really didn't want one in .243. But it was the only #1 he had in stock and so I said what the hell. All these years later, if I messed up when using it, it was  always my fault and not the rifles.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:32:34 AM »
BTW....There are OTHER boards beside this one??

I don't believe you!! :D ;D :twisted: :wink:

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 10:43:26 AM »
D, I've always liked the 6x45 for something like what you're thinking. Sure, it's more custom than other rounds, but in the end, you can get decent velocity with the decent B/C of the 6mm.

Just my $0.02.  O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Facebook Comments