October 21, 2017, 07:21:48 PM

Author Topic: You Gotta Get One Of These!  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
You Gotta Get One Of These!
« on: December 07, 2003, 08:10:19 PM »
I finally got to take my .17 HMR out squirrel hunting today!!! :D   I think I'm in love!  Just something about shooting a squirrel about 80 yds away and when you pick it up, half of its head is missing!! :shock:  :twisted:   4 of the 6 I got (6 is our limit) were like this.  The other two were body shots (they moved right as I squeezed :x ).  It's amazing how much damage that little-bitty bullet can do. :shock:   It's only 17 grains, but then again, it's traveling at 2550 fps!

I will say though, the rifle has a pretty big boom and crack when it goes off.  I hadn't shot it without ear plugs until today.  It will definitely "light the woods up".  But surprisingly, my ears weren't ringing.  It just made a heck of a sound this morning.  We had a heavy frost, and it was almost like it was foggy too, but it wasn't foggy (if that makes sense).  It was very still too.....almost eerie still.  That is until I would shoot!!! :D  :D

Anyway, I had a GREAT morning hunt.  Only down side to it was having to clean them!  Low 30's and having to keep your hands wet with lake water isn't a lot of fun!!  But I guess if you want to play, you have to pay.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 09:40:38 PM »
:D Bigcal58! RIGHT ON! What .17 rifle did you buy? And you know how to hunt those hairy little rascals, too! I bought my .17 a month ago, been out shooting squirrels every weekend except this one. Wife is in hospital 80 miles from home, no go hunt this weekend. I have a Savage .17 Heavy with the wood stock and topped it with a 3X9 40mm scope. Last weekend I was out Fri. and Sat. I shot 10, but only 8 were head shots. I haven't noticed any difference between the balistic tips and the hollowpoints on paper or squirrels. I shot 3 rabbits, too. Man, I can't beleive what they do to a squirrel's head! .22 Stingers do a great job, but I retired my little .22 after getting my .17 . I haven't shot anything else, but really keeping eyes out for a coyote or crow. No more having to sneak into .22 range. The brush is pretty thick where I hunt, so the longest shot I have been able to take is a paultry 75 yards. and I caught him sideways right above the eye. Top of is head vanished!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 11:46:18 PM »
Glad to see someone else out there appreciates a good head shot and does it with the .17. :D   Mine is a Marlin 17VS with the laminated wood stock, heavy barrel, and stainless satin finish.  I've got a Simmons Aetec 4 x 12 X 44 mm scope on it.  I got the Marlin because you can get an after-market trigger for it that's SWEET!!!!!!!  The trigger on it is OK, but it's still a factory trigger.  It's got just a little bit of creep to it, which I don't like.

I haven't tried the hollow points, only the ballistic tip.  From what I saw today, I don't think there's much of a need for the hollow points!  It was like their brains and jaws exploded out the other side!! :twisted:   Couldn't even hardly tell where it went it, but you could sure tell where it came out!!!!!!!!!  Well, kinda........the general "area", but sure not the exact spot! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Yeah, I don't think my .22 is going to be getting much use from now on.  I haven't gotten to shoot the thing that much to really get used to it.  I shot 25 rounds through it sighting it in, and then the ones today and that has been it.  I need to really sit down with it and fine-tune the scope and get used to the gun.  When I sighted it in, I had about a 25 mph cross-wind, and was still getting 3-4 shot groups that a dime would cover at 55 yds.  When I backed the target up to 100 yds, the shots were only dropping less than 1/4", but the groups were crap (I'm guessing because of the wind).

I had a dead bead on a squirrel's head this morning and squeezed the trigger and....."CLICK".  I ejected that round and put another in, but didn't get another shot at the squirrel.  Later on, just messing around, I wanted to see if that round would fire.  We've got a steel cut-out of a ram about 250 yds away from our cabin.  The ram, belly to back, is about 2 ft. tall.  I aimed about 18" over the top of the thing and hit it!!!!!  Surprised the heck out of me that: 1) the bullet held it's course that far away, and 2) that I actually HIT it!!!  The gun is a heck of a lot better shot than I am  :lol: , I just need to get it so the two of us can work together to try to thin the squirrel population.  :D  :D  :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 08:22:05 AM »
Bigcal58, I have had a couple of strange "misfires" with mine, too. A gunsmith buddy of mine says the CCI ammo brass is so damn hard that the firing pin sometimes is not able to dent the casing hard enough. This is especially true with the .22 Stingers, as I have found firsthand. I did what you did, re-used the round and it fired. I am wondering if maybe while carrying the rifle, the bolt  knob wasn't clear down, too. I find the hollowpoints cheaper here, at our FarmKing store, for about $8. Yeah, I wish we could get together and bushwhack some squirrels. I do wish for a higher power scope, but the one I have is getting me by. You did a right proper job on your power for your scope. I got mine cheap, from my gunsmith buddy, Abe. Now all I have to do is more shooting to figure out the built in range finder and the bullet comp. Last year I was laid up the whole hunting season. Now I am making up for it with the .17 this season! Keep up the good work, Bigcal58!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 07:27:59 PM »
The guy I hunt on (and my mother's fiance......they're never going to get married though.....it's a long story) owns a pawn shop, and he's got his FFL.  He gave me his cost on the gun, scope, scope rings, and ammo.  I was wanting a Nikon or Leupold scope, but the Aetec is working just fine.  I asked him one weekend to just check prices for me.  I went down there hunting again about 4 days later and he told me, "I got your gun in the truck".  He'd gotten the gun in and mounted the scope and bore sighted it for me.  Can't beat that!!!! :D

I've been using the Hornady rounds with the V-Max ballistic tip bullets.  At 2550 fps and the results I saw, you can't beat it.  They were $10/box.  I was like a kid-in-a-candy-store yesterday morning!  It's been a long time since I've been that excited over hunting and a gun. :?   I always though it would be something to do with deer hunting, but guess not.  I've been kinda' stressed-out at work.  Getting to shoot some "cute, fuzzy little animals" was just what the Dr. ordered!!! :D  :D  :D  :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 10:04:21 PM »
:) '58, that maybe future father in law sounds like the perfect guy! Tell your mom to marry him! Not many people will go that far out for someone. I heard a story from a guy about the .17 having terrible wind drift. but for our type of hunting, NO PROBLEM! I have hunted on several windy days and had no adverse effects at all. Now, if we were taking a 200 or 300 yd. shot at a squirrel or coyote on a windy day, I could see some serious calculations. HEH HEH HEH, have you noticed how quick that bullet gets there? The bullet hits the squirrel WAY before you hear the "whop"! Git 'em, Bigcal58!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 10:21:20 PM »
They're both too old and set in their ways to get married.  They'd probably kill each other!

I hadn't noticed the "whop".  It just kept surprising me at the amount of noise the thing was making!  I'm used to a .22 LR and the "little" pop they make.  I just need to get out and shoot the thing some more.  I know the scope can be fine-tuned some more and my accuracy will increase.  I just need to play with it some.  The day I sighted it in, I had about a 25 mph cross-wind.  The wind was truely playing havoc on the bullets out at 100 yds.  At 55 though, it wasn't having much of an effect.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 10:29:33 PM »
The sound from my rifle sounds like a "POW!" Almost like a pistol shot sounds. But not too loud to scare thr squirrels. I shot several that were pretty close together, and the rifle report didn't scare the ones that I hadn't shot yet.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 10:40:27 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that too.  Within just a few minutes time I had 3 laying on the ground.  Like I said, I just wasn't expecting such a little round to have such a big sound!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments