November 24, 2017, 12:19:29 AM

Author Topic: For Bowhunters Only.....  (Read 4500 times)

travo

Re: For Bowhunters Only.....
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 10:35:05 PM »
thats just one more reason to kill coons-theyre egg-suckin,nest smashing demons. one of the greatest causes of nesting failure in waterfoul is predation-not of ducklings by hawks and coyotes, but from egg-suckin coons and skunks. that is reason enough to whack the little maggots. you want more phesants, ducks, geese, partridge,woodcock,grouse? kill coons, skunks, and feral cats on sight.

Offline shadow

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 08:22:40 PM »
I personally have waged my own war on coons and opossums. It is never ending. They get in my horses grain and then crap in it. I think the opossums are doing the crapping as coons are quite intelligent and don't crap in their food. But the coons just can't leave things alone, they knock everything in my barn over for no apparent reason other than to be nosey. I shoot them on site. But... I give the coons to a friend who traps and if it ain't trapping season, he freezes them. Shhh. I didn't say that. Now the opossums are another story. I shoot them on site REGARDLESS. They don't go to waste as I throw them in my wifes garden and till them in in the spring. Last summer I came home and this big fat mama opossum was crossing my driveway with about 12 babies hanging on her back. I ran in the house for my 10/22 but she vanished before I got back out. They move in my barn and take up house keeping. Where do you take them after you live catch them so they don't cause anyone problems? I think if you move them you just create a problem for someone else. Grain ain't cheap and I'm getting to old to clean their mess up EVERYDAY.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 08:24:40 PM by shadow »
Happiness is: A warm gun

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 08:24:21 PM »
If you move them, you don't have to worry about them no more so who cares?

Offline shadow

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 10:53:40 AM »
I have 2 horses of our own and 6 we board, I'm a disabled vet and I have better things to do then trap and move vermin. No offense, but if  I wanted to spend that kinda time trapping coons and opossums, I would just take up trapping. Those days are long gone. We started out 12 years ago boarding horses, that's work in itself. I used to call my brother who is a DEC officer to come and live trap them. He doesn't have that kinda time( more so since the DEC now are part of the local drug task force) plus right now we here in NY are just getting a bite in the Rabies epidemic (no pun intended) Not to say any of your ideas are good or bad, I just deal with them according to how they affect me. At my age it's all about time, and I have little of it to spend sympathizing with vermin. At the risk of hearing your disapproval, oh well, my barn, my law.
Happiness is: A warm gun

Offline Doe

• Teen Taxidermist!
    • Country Way Enterprises
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 09:50:35 AM »
We have a little masked bandit in our barn who comes around for the cat food, knocks the bowls over, and eats most of it.  :D I haven't seen him around though recently we did have a few more incedents.

Offline BigMac

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 12:42:03 AM »
If I'm not mistaken conns are considered pests (for whatever reasons apply). I have a Jack Russel mix (hes a bit to big to be all JR) that has never met his match, he kills everything, fish, rats, opossums, squirrels and honestly a bit more. If he sees a coon he will charge, its already happened. My backyard is marked with all the scent of 2 dogs, 2 nieces, 1 nephew, myself and the landscapers. You think that a coon will go the other way, not a chance, they are curious and get into trouble often. My dog may take a racoon or may not, same weight class, but raccoons have been known to stand their ground and are mighty vicious when need be. We do also have a sheppard/collie mix but he may not always be with the little one since the little guy relentlessly searches the trees for something to chase and eat. If you are in my position, I would definitly shoot a coon, you don't want to find your best friend dead and half eaten in the morning. Just my situation here, may not apply to yours.

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
  • One shot. One kill. No exceptions.
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 03:09:02 AM »
BigMac,as for finding your best friend dead and half eaten,my pup was attacked by a possum last year, I had got back from pheasant hunting,I saw it happening yelled for my dog,she came ruuning and the possum chased her,it got a 2 3/4 inch pheasant load right in the face. i live in a COMMUNNITY,the neighbors called the cops. They came saw what happened and left. I now keep my MarkII bolt action's mag loaded with 22CB Long by my bed-side for this reason. Quiet,effective,and above all, EASILY ACSESSABLE. I have killed 4 coon,7 possums and 2 skunks since last year with it. They were out during the day.(rabid) Some tried to get in my house. We have a BIG problem with them here. Neighbors feed them,they go for the garbage cans,and one once attacked a kid,no more then 6 years old. It pisses me off to see that,and people dont care.
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Offline BigMac

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 03:21:27 AM »
Im relieved to know you kept your dog for who knows how many more years, I have seen possums in person and they can be extremley aggressive to anything. Imagine how many possums/coons/skunks have been in your yard while you weren't awake. I let a racoon go once out of pitty since he was practically caged in my screened in pool (he came in through the door), I guarantee it will never happen again.

Offline squirrellchef

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 06:07:50 PM »
wow the only thing in my barn is squirrel getting in the horse grain so i shot em and trow em in the pan for breakfast (thanks BC for some good cookin tips O0)
and as far as possum there crap can make a ore rell sick and even kill em so you have to wach out  for them  :knuppel2 i dont let possums near my barn the 12ga buck shot tends o keep them out  :wink: :twisted:
RED-NECKS KEEPIN' THE WOODS CRITTER FREE SINCE 1885

Offline Meat Hunter #737

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 01:11:54 AM »
I have killed alot of animals for alot of reasons, coons for the fur, but I agree with Travo with skunks and opposums...I kill them whenever its legal, cause they eat Turkey eggs
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Facebook Comments