December 17, 2017, 01:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Only One For The Year  (Read 948 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Only One For The Year
« on: May 13, 2014, 02:27:57 PM »
Been busy as crap is why I haven't been on here.  Took a break for a little while from work to let my mind rest and just veg out for a little bit.  :crazy2

Well, I only ended up with one for the year.  But that's still better than what I got last year.  ;D

I'm late posting this.  Our season ran 4/12 through 5/4.  I got the bird 4/13.  Went out a few more times after that, but just couldn't connect.

The morning I got the bird though, I had a heck of a time!  I started out at daylight on one side of the farm and heard gobbling over on the other side of the farm (of course).  I had to high-tail it over there as quick as I could and find me a spot.

Long story short, at one point I had gobblers 180 degrees around me sounding off, all within 150 yards!  You talk about nerve-racking and having your head on a pivot trying to figure out which one was going to show itself first.  :o

Had this one and 2 others coming in on another hill to the left of me and down below me.  I looked at where they were, where they were coming through, and knew I would either have to take a really long shot or an extremely short shot.  I opted for the long shot.  Leveled off and dumped him between 50-60 yards.  It was either that or wait until he popped up over the hill right straight in front of me at about 15 feet.  ::)

Turned out the bird was a jake.   ;D   Oh, well.  Ya' can't eat those beard and spurs anyway.  ;)   He was a little above average for a jake though.  Had about a 5-6" beard and the spurs actually looked like spurs instead of just buttons.

Here's one of the calls, just for giggles.  O0

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Only One For The Year
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 08:50:18 PM »
Nice one! Way to go! That's one more than I got!! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Only One For The Year
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:33:45 AM »
 O0 :) Nice bird, pictures, and tough hunting, BC!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments