December 14, 2017, 07:43:49 PM

Author Topic: Good Opening Day  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Good Opening Day
« on: September 08, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »
Opening day of our bow season was Saturday.  Other than it being hotter than Hades, it wasn't a bad day.

The weather had been calling for rain, so I had the wind for it, so I decided to hunt out of a blind that was set up.  It never did rain Saturday!  :x   Anyway, I keep 1 arrow in my quiver with a practice point on it for shooting that a broadhead would tear up too bad.  I had a couple of crows come in and and I kept trying to decide whether or not to shoot one of them, 3 more flew in.  That did it.  I swapped the arrows out and put the practice point on the bow, ranged one of the crows at 24 yards and started following him.  All of the sudden, I noticed that he was about to get in line with one of the other crows!  Holy Crap!  Could I get so lucky?  Sure enough, the instant the 2 of them got lines up, I touched the trigger on the bow and heard it bark.  All hell broke loose with those crows!  I looked down there and there were 2 flopping on the ground, my arrow still sticking out of one of them!  O0 ;D

Went down and got them.  The arrow had stopped at the fletching in the wing bones of the 2nd one after passing through the first one.  Took them back to the blind and just laid them outside of the blind next to it.  Figured I'd get them mounted.  How often am I going to get 2 crows with 1 shot from a crossbow?

I didn't really think anything of the crows laying outside of the blind, bleeding.  ::)   About a half hour later, I heard something on the side of the blind right there were the crows were for just a second and then I heard something in the leaves.  :?   Didn't know what the crap was going on.  The crows were dead.  I unzipped the side window and looked out and one of my freaking crows was gone!  :tickedoff   Some lowsely good-for-nothing coyote or fox had smelled the blood and come up and grabbed one of my birds!  I got out of the blind and looked around a little bit, but the critter was long gone.  Went back to the blind and put the other crow INSIDE the blind with me.  LOL!

About 9:20 AM, I had 3 big does and 2 fawns come up the hill and come in.  I watched them for a little bit and paired the fawns up with the does they went with.  The "odd doe out" automatically had a target on her side.  ;)   Ranged her at 25 yards and waited until everything behind her was clear and fired off shot #2 for the morning.

She took out of there like a scalded dog, but when I shot I saw the Luminock light up and saw where it was going.  As my uncle used to say, "She was dead and just didn't know it."  LOL!  Found her piled up about 80 yards away.  How she made it that far I have no idea.  Gotta love those Swhacker's!  O0 >:D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Good Opening Day
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:29:02 AM »
Forgot to mention, she was 2.5 years old and 100+ lbs.  I didn't weigh her because I didn't want to take the time hooking up the scales and then unhooking the scales.  I needed to get to skinning as hot as it was.  I think it was something like 92 degrees on Saturday.  :o

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:10:41 PM »
Great story BC. Man that broadhead leaves a gap don't it.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »
 :shock: O0 Wow! That was some day, BC! 2 fer 1 with an arrow for  the crows and one shot for the  nice doe!

I wonder what varmint stole your crow.  :knuppel2
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »

Great story BC. Man that broadhead leaves a gap don't it.

Yep, I love them things!  >:D   She took off down hill and then made it up just a little bit of a rise before going down.  How she made it as far as she did I'll never know.

:o O0 Wow! That was some day, BC! 2 fer 1 with an arrow for  the crows and one shot for the  nice doe!

I wonder what varmint stole your crow.  :knuppel2

It had to had been a coyote or a gray fox that did it.  A coon wouldn't have been able to get out of there quick enough and would have made more noise.  I get quite a few pictures of gray foxes on that camera, so it could have been one of them, and there's coyotes everywhere around there, so it's hard to tell.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 02:00:26 AM »
If that dang varmint had not been quick it would have been dead!  :knuppel2
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »
After the first crow was stolen, I took the second one, put it inside the blind with me, and pulled my pistol out and had it in the little drink holder area of the arm of the chair.  ;)   If anything else tried to start messing around and get that other crow, I wouldn't have minded at all to put a hole in the side of that blind.  ;D >:D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 06:02:32 PM »
 :twisted: That would have ended the crow stealing varmint's pranks!

Facebook Comments