November 23, 2017, 10:04:12 AM

Author Topic: Come On Youth Season!  (Read 2364 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Come On Youth Season!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 09:39:12 AM »
 ^-^ ;D Says BC as he buys another Savage rifle and adds it to his precious Savage stable.

I hope the rain quits and you get your stand set up, BC. Deer and turkey population looks pretty good, huh?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »
And just to prove my point about it being a junky Savage, I've got to go this afternoon and get some steel scope rings.  ::)   Might as well get the Standard Leupold bases as well.  O0

Though not necessarily the rifle, the scope came mounted on the rifle from Savage.  One side of the rings was completely bottomed out and there was a big gap on the other side.  I don't mount scopes like this and don't like them mounted like this.  I want there to be an equal gap between the ring halves on both sides.

I started loosening the one screw and tightening the other screw to even everything out.  The screw on the side that I was tightening pulled completely through the cheap aluminum ring.  :x

As I said, it's not the rifle itself, but it still reflects on Savage.  I wasn't putting much pressure on the little allen wrench they sent with it because I know how soft aluminum is.  But I didn't expect it to be THAT soft!  :tickedoff

Just as well though.  At least now it's forcing me to put some good mounts on there that I know nothing will happen to.

There's a pretty good deer population down there John.  I'm just biding my time to see what the boy is going to get to see how many more I'll need to get.  There's a ton of turkeys!  :o   I'm allowed 4 in the fall and have a feeling that I'll be able to fill all of my tags for that.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 09:11:44 AM »
Bummer on the aluminum mounts, BC! Like you, I never choose aluminum mounts or rings. And yes, that was some sloppy factory work on the scope mounting job.  >:(

Turkey populations have exploded here, too.

Good luck with the deer and birds, fella. My money rides on you and the boy doing really good this season.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »
Both of my Savages came without scopes, but it doesn't speak much for the people they have assembling the packages before shipping. :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2

Was it bore sighted at the factory?

If you're going to go it yourself you're better off with Leupold or Weaver rings and mounts imho.
How crisp is the trigger pull?

My Ruger Light Sporter is a .243 and I get the best results out of a company here in Georgia called Georgia Arms that loads 100 grain Grand Slams. They've been really behind lately due to the ammo crunch that I went out and bought some Federal Premium 100 grain Partitions from Nosler. Got them sighted dead on at 200 yards and recoil is not that bad. Accuracy is really good. I figure a 3 shots ran about an inch and a half more less since I didn't really measure that closely. Chest or shoulder or neck shot will do it too it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:37:15 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »
Yeah, it was supposed to had been bore sighted, but I never got the chance to check it.  ::)   So much for that $50 rebate.  :x   New Leupold mounts cost me $49.99 + tax.

When I went to take the old Weaver style rings off, I put a screw driver on the big nut on the side to loosen it.  I didn't even have to really use the screw driver.  They were only on basically finger-tight.  :tickedoff   Great workmanship there Savage employees!  :x

Got the rifle sighted in about 1/2" high at 50 yds with some Remington 100 grain loads.  Can't remember the bullet design.  Tried some Winchester 100 grain and they shot the same and some Federal 90 grain.  The Federals were hitting higher of course.  100 yds was still a little higher, but that's OK.  Last 2 shots at 50 with the 100 grain Remingtons were in the same hole.

The spot were we're going, it's 42 yds from the blind down to the mineral block.  O0   The rain is supposed to hold off Saturday, and I checked the wind and it's supposed to be good for Saturday.  Sunday is a different story.  ::)   It's supposed to rain and the wind is supposed to be wrong for that blind.  Hopefully the boy will get it done on Saturday.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 06:58:31 AM »
  O0 Good luck, BC!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 07:59:20 PM »
Good Luck to the boy. With the bad stuff coming, hopefully the deer  will be up and moving before they hunker down.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 10:17:47 AM »
Well, no deer.  :'(   Got up there before daylight and sat until about 11:30.  Saw a couple of coons and a bunch of squirrels and that was it.  I could tell the boy was getting a little restless, so we took off and went down to the house and got my brother to fix us some sausage and eggs.  We chilled out for a little bit and then headed back up there.

Got back in the blind about 2:30.  Around 3:00 we had a doe come in, but that was the only deer that we saw.  We sat there until it wasn't light enough to shoot anymore.

It sprinkled a little off and on all day and came a pretty decent shower once during the day, but we stayed dry in the blind.  The wind stayed relatively constant all day.  It was out of the NE about all day, but would shift a little every so often and start to come more out of the E, but that was OK.  It's when it starts coming out of the S, SW, or W that we've got issues.

When we first got up there we had a deer blowing at us down off the the ridge over on the bench a ways.  It had to had been because of the amount of noise we were making trying to get set up in the blind, the windows unzipped, etc, because I know it didn't smell us.  My luck it was one of the bucks we were after.  ::)

The early muzzleloading season is this weekend, but I'm not sure if I'll get to go.  If I do, it would be Saturday morning only.  Got WAY too may other things to do.  Even then, I'm not sure if Mason is going to go with me.  I have a muzzleloader for him, but it's an adult size, and it's never been shot.  If he goes, he'll have to use mine.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 08:31:50 AM »
I hope it all comes together for you fellas this weekend, BC!  O0

Facebook Comments