November 18, 2017, 02:47:39 PM

Author Topic: Was Out Sunday Morning  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Was Out Sunday Morning
« on: November 04, 2014, 11:27:21 AM »
Man, it was cold!  :o   Too cold for this early in the year anyway.  Got up and it was 17 degrees.  Woke my brother up.  He got up, looked at the temp, and went back to bed.  ;D   So needless to say, I called him a certain part of the female anatomy for the rest of the day.  ;) ;D ;D

Gun season opens next weekend, so I've been trying to fill my buck tag prior to that.  All of the gun season, I've been concentrating on the boy getting a deer.

Luckily the wind was right for me to hunt the blind where I've been getting pictures of some decent bucks, so I got up there and settled in.  About 7:30 I had one of the bucks come by that I've been wanting to get, but he was too far out.  I tried grunting and bleating to him, which did bring him in closer, but he was in a jungle of thick stuff and there was no way in the world I could get a shot at him.  Hopefully Mason can get him next weekend.  That deer was actually the one Mason was wanting to get anyway.

About 9:30 or so, I had a flock of about 25-30 turkeys come up the hill toward me.  It took them forever to feed their way up there to the bench.  I had picked out a couple of spots earlier where they were and ranged them and knew it was 40 yards to one and 44 to the other.  With such a big flock, trying to get 1 turkey by itself and turned sideways is no small task.  ::)   Finally, 1 got where I needed it to and I let the Excalibur bark.  I saw the Luminock light up as the arrow covered the 40 yards in a fraction of a second and saw it disappear right in the wing where I wanted it.  O0

The turkey jumped, went about 15 feet and fell over, DRT!  O0

Not the critter that I was hoping for Sunday morning, but it'll do.  ;) ;D

Attached below is a picture of the exit hole in the opposite wing.  Gotta love those Shwacker broadheads.  O0   Didn't figure I better put that one on Photobucket.  They would probably take it off.  ::)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Was Out Sunday Morning
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 11:19:21 PM »
Nice bird. Man, them Shwackers really do the job. They sure ain't the cheapest out there but the results you get make them look worth the price. Gonna put them on my wish list.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 09:04:52 AM »
 :shock:  :twisted: O0 Wow! Nice going, BC! Those heads sure do work!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:36:38 PM »
Thanks guys!  O0   Actually, those heads aren't any more expensive than any of the other ones.  I think they're about $25 for 3 or something like that.  The blades are easy to resharpen, and then there's also replacement blades you can get.  I bought 2 packs three years ago I think and have just been replacing the blades.

Below is the exit hole on the doe I got opening day this year.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »
About time you got rid of some of those turkeys, I mean all they do is hang around and let you feed them. Too bad you had to use that fake bow instead of a real one! ;D :twisted: :roll: :-P

I better not hear you shot my mule or my groundhog though! :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :-P :-P ;D ;D
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
 :shock:  O0 Wow! That's some exit hole!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
Yeah, those freaking turkeys are out of control down there.  ::)   Trouble is, I've got 3 more tags, but I can only get 1 more, most likely.  :tickedoff   Stupid regulations here.  They mandate that even though I'm using a crossbow, I still have to kill the turkey during one of the 2 fall shotgun seasons for turkey, which are each a week long.  One is in October the other is in December I think.  Now how freaking stupid is that??

Not to worry Bo, that groundhog is safe for another year looks like.  I got a couple of pictures of him a week or so.  He looked like a little furry blob he was so fat!  ;D   With as cold as it's been getting, I imagine that he's hunkered down in his hole taking a nap.

Still getting pictures of the mule.  :x :x   That thing is weird.  3 weeks ago, I had pictures of him WAY UP in the woods, up near the ridge, on 2 different cameras, and then found crap from him on the road way down to the South side of the property (the fence is down up near the North side of the property).  The next week, I didn't have any pictures at all of him.  Last week, I had pictures of him on 3-4 cameras, but only once.

The landowner was over bailing the hay on our farm a week or so ago.  My brother and I were talking to him before he got started.  He asked if we were getting any pictures of the deer back in the back.  I told him no, but I was getting quite a few pictures of his mule.  ;D   He hung his head a little and said that he had fixed a big section of the fence, but it must not have been where we were talking about the mule going through.  NOPE!  ::)

Fake bow, huh?  At least mine has cut some blood this year.  ;)

Yep John, I think they open up to over 2" wide. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
Perhaps that mule is a jumping mule, clears a fence like nothing. Rope that mule and ride him hunting!  :D

How do you cook your turkeys, BC? My wild turkeys always come out like dry cardboard.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 01:41:58 PM »
This this just strolls through where the fence is down.  Irritating animal!

As for cooking the turkey, the easiest way that I cook it is to take the breast off the bone, and then take the legs and thighs off (and take out the heart, liver, and gizzard of course  ;) ).  Cut the breast into strips about 1/4 - 3/8" thick, roll in seasoned flour and fry.

The legs and thighs I put in a crock pot and cook the same way that I do the Squirrel N' Noodles, with the chicken broth and egg noodles.

We have cooked the whole bird before though.

Skin and gut it.
Put it in a cooking bag.
Put a stick of butter and a whole, peeled onion inside the bird.
Pour some chicken broth inside the bag.  Don't know the amount, just use your judgement.
Rub butter on the outside of the bird.
Sprinkle poultry seasoning on the outside of the bird.
Lay some thick-cut peppered bacon across the breast to keep it moist.

Tie up the bag.
Cook 3 hours at 300 degrees.

I think that was the time/temp that my Step-dad cooked it at.  I only saw him do it once and man it was good!  :o O0

I don't really have a need to cook a whole bird, so I've not done it myself.  Besides, I like the fried breast better.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 05:41:01 AM »
 O0 Thanks very much, BC!

I bet you add to your freezer this weekend.  :twisted:

Facebook Comments