November 19, 2017, 08:50:47 AM

Author Topic: Was Out Sunday Morning  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Was Out Sunday Morning
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »
O0 Thanks very much, BC!

I bet you add to your freezer this weekend.  >:D

Nope!  :x   The boy and I went, but didn't get anything.

The freaking wind really threw a kink in everything!  :tickedoff   It was all over the place!  We hunted a blind that I had up Saturday morning and had 13 turkeys come in.  We watched them for a while until they left.  A little while later, a spike came in and Mason was going to shoot it, but that thing was on a mission!  He went across that flat at a slow walk and wouldn't stop for anything.  I tried everything in the world to get him to stop, short of yelling at him!  He was only at about 25-30 yards, so the shot wouldn't have been anything.  I could have made the shot with him walking, but since Mason hasn't shot a deer, he doesn't know how to shoot at a moving deer.  About a half hour after that, a button buck came in, but Mason didn't want to shoot it because it was too small, and I told him that we didn't shoot buttons down there.  He practiced putting the crosshairs on him and I made sure he knew what I was talking about when I was telling him to "shoot for the opposite leg" on a deer that was quartering away.  We had to get out of there before 11:00 though because the wind was going to radically switch on us.

In the afternoon we cleared out some leaves around the base of a couple of trees up the hill from a logging road that has a scrape on it.  I've had a camera on the scrape and have gotten quite a few daylight pictures of deer hitting the scrape, plus I've got another camera about 30-40 yards away on a trail coming up out of a deep hollow, with the trail heading toward the road.  Sat there and didn't see anything.  :x

Sunday morning we hit the blind up on the ridge where I got the turkey and saw the buck that Mason has been wanting to get last weekend.  The wind wasn't "perfect" but it was OK for anything coming up from our side of the ridge.  Of course, we didn't see anything.  :x

Riding out on the 4-wheeler, we jumped up 4-5 does but couldn't get a shot at any of them.  We went around and changed all of the cards in the cameras but didn't see anything.

I didn't want the boy to be too tired for school yesterday, so after we got done checking the cards we came on back up here.  :'(

And wouldn't you know it.......  As I was going through the cards, the blind that we hunted Saturday morning, the buck Mason's been wanting showed up on that flat and stayed for a few minutes Saturday afternoon around 4:30 PM.  :tickedoff   The wind was wrong, so there was no way we could hunt there though is why we weren't there.

Don't know if he's going to go with me this weekend or not.  I kind of doubt it though.  A game that he's really been wanting releases today.  I told him that I would get it Friday when I get paid, so he'll probably spend the weekend playing that thing.  ::)   More importantly though, it's supposed to be colder than snot this weekend.  I don't know if I want to get him out in that stuff or not.  I've got the clothes to stay out in it, but I don't have the clothes for him.  It's hard to spend $150-200 on a set of insulated bibs and a jacket to have him outgrow the stuff in a year or so.  ::)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 09:58:58 PM »
That's exactly why my kids don't have the stuff either. The youngest is finally out of high school and about done growing, upwards anyways. She got a $150 bass pro gift card at their graduation all-nighter. She gave it to me as reimbursement for something her mom fronted her money for. Guess she's gonna get it back soon. I got her a bow like mine and she wants to hunt small game at least, but has no camo. Maybe now it will fit for more than 6 mos.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 09:11:51 AM »
Yeah on the wind messing us up and kids outgrowing clothes!   :sad:

Wife and I buy grandkids clothes and they outgrow them quickly.  :shock:

I was chasing squirrels in the wind one day last weekend, was pretty poor hunting. I saw only one gray and nailed it.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
Kids? What are those?

Btw..

BC did you get a positive ID on the guy trespassing you got a picture of? It wasn't one of those ginseng hunters was it?
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »
Forgot to ask my brother if he found out who the trespasser was.  It wasn't one of the ginseng hunters though.  This one was hunting.  Looks like a younger guy, maybe late teens or early 20's.  It's got to be someone local around there.  Based on where he came from, I'm guessing that it's someone that lives back a gravel road on the back side of the ridge.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments