November 21, 2017, 08:48:59 AM

Author Topic: Ice cream Headache ? Thats cold.  (Read 747 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Ice cream Headache ? Thats cold.
« on: November 15, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »
:'(
What ?
Yes, Ice cream headache. That's what would happen on this mornings hunt. As we where walking out in the dark when you would take a deep breath through your mouth the cold air would give you an "Ice cream headache".
THATS cold. The wind was pushing 20 mph the temp on the truck mirror -20 and the snow was 'bout 4 inches.
NICE!
We planed on walking in to a "Hole" we always find deer, but we were going to come in on the "TOP" 'sted of going up from the bottom. VERY few hunters, and it turned out there was a lot of them, will make the 1 and 1/2 mile walk from the road on the bottom. Problem was across the top it's 3 mile to where you START to hunt. Today the wind was straight in to our face. YUK Made for a long hard walk. We get all the way out to our "Hidey Hole" for deer in an hour and a half now well in to shooting light. Got about half way through the hunt and thought we would NEVER get a deer out the way we came in. Flipped a coin to see who would go back and drive the truck to the lower road, I won/lost what ever. And seeing I had the only tag,The boy hoofed back to the truck. I hunted on , put the sneak on two deer , got to shotgun range I had the 243,only to see it's a doe and a spike. Hunted on . Another hour or so poking around to find nothing. BY now I'm about froze to death and VERY whipped and my legs getting shaky. I was side hilling on a STEEP ridge when I step on my own foot Making me tip backwards and flip twice landing on my back head down hill. WOW that sucked, the scope looked ok but I did manage to jam the barrel in to the ground twice... I Found a peace of wire and rammed the dirt and snow out.
Crap that's how old guys go missing. All checked out and off I went.
The boy got around and was "Running" up a coulee flagging me down. I joined up with him and he told me I was one coulee from a bunch of deer, nuts I thought I had completed this "HUNT". Back up a big brake and over a ridge yup a good size group of deer all bedded down and looking down to the road, not a clue we were ranging them. SWEET 95 to 150 yards. A real shame we couldn't grow some horns on the 30 deer some and only two, two pointers. HUMMM
Another 45 minutes and we climbed in to the truck, not a shot. I did test shoot the 243 and it looked like it survived ok. On our walk from the deer we counted 20 other trucks go by and it looked like none of them even looked at the deer we left bedded down. I was finished. We did go look at some field goosing spots and dropped down to the river to see if a boat could get in to the water. NOT TO DAY.
I'm the only one left with a deer tag so I may be finished for the year , I'd like to get after the geese and back to calling coyotes. We did make a firm plan for next weekend . Going to drop the duck boat in the Missouri and float down with the buck blind on and pass shoot ducks/geese and stop every mile or two and call some dogs, NOW where talking!!!!

I tried to take some pictures early in the day but the camera would not work to cold but after two hours in the running truck it got warm enough to work and I got a few shots of the river at one of our ferry crossings.

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Ice cream Headache ? Thats cold.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 11:28:26 PM »
 :shock: Wow! That was some cold hunt, D! Nice pictures, too!  O0

I'm glad you are OK after the rough tumble and your equipment is OK.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments